Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book people

Book people

Just kinda thought I'd let you all in on this - I have a blog where I review books I have recently read. So if you are interested, it is at http://KarenWatts.com/blog - the books are basically whatever I have pulled out of the box lately, but I will be adding in pet-related books as I read them, too.

As Paul convinced me, what good is all that knowledge if you don't share it?
    I've Been Frosted

I think I'll have to hunt these all down. They sound like really interesting reads. Not fluff like I end up having to read for YA books in middle schoool.

Thanks for this karen, I'll get them on Amazon and let you know what I think of them.

I noticed that you posted the link to your blog in another thread and I had a look at the time. I meant to ask you about it, but forgot with all the disruption of the Christmas holidays. Generally I read more non-fiction, and I have a big queue waiting to be read, but I thought one of the books you reviewed sounded interesting. I will go back and have a look.

Thanks Karen! I will certainly be on the look out for a lot of the books you have reviewed on there.

Loved the reviews and now have a few more *must read* books I really like reading something that someone else really thinks is worth reading and your reviews are interesting.

Thanks folks - several of them were given to family members at Christmas, or to my bank teller who is a reader, but you can always PM me and let me know if you're interested, and I'll see if I still have the book and can send it to you.

Keeps the house from filling up!

(I bring boxes of books to family gatherings, the kids half expect it now. I also do give some books as presents ... most of the clan are also voracious readers.)
    I've Been Frosted

Amazon owes you a commission--I just downloaded "The Toss of a Lemon" to the Kindle reader I got for Christmas.

I'm still debating the whole "KINDLE" thing. I still LOVE the the feel of paper in my hands, but the Kindle thing is just one of those "oooh! I want one of them!!!" articles, lol.

I have read a bunch of the books on there that were for YAs, and some adult too. But have a list that I want to order from Amazon when I have more $$.

I will look into it - I know we share a passion for fantasy/SF.
    Right now however I am reading Kipling's jungle books again- I like reading my favorite books again and again

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I'm still debating the whole "KINDLE" thing. I still LOVE the the feel of paper in my hands, but the Kindle thing is just one of those "oooh! I want one of them!!!" articles, lol.
    The Kindle is a very cool toy, especially if you like to have a book (or a whole darned library) with you wherever you go. For nonfiction books such as biography and history (which are more likely to have illustrations that don't show up in the Kindle versions), I'll continue to buy the "hard copy" book. But for fiction, I'm really liking the Kindle.

I hope I'm not derailing the thread too much! I've always been a reader, and the convergence of writing and technology is amazing to me. And Karen's book blog is an example--people all over the world can get together to discuss books. It's so cool!

Oh, I hope you enjoy "The Toss of a Lemon" book, let me know what you think of it!

I do enjoy books of many sorts - I am pretty omnivorous, and make myself finish almost every book I start. And by having a blog, I can save others if I find a terrible book - they need not even pick it up!

Though my dear, dear friend Phillip Kalber, now deceased, would pass along Science Fiction magazines to me after he had read them, and he graded the stories. He was disappointed to learn I even read the ones he gave poor grades to - I told him "But Phillip, I needed to know why they got such bad grades!"
    I've Been Frosted

Prairie Purrs - today I gave my copy of The Toss of a Lemon to the manager at my bank. I regularly bring books to one of the tellers, and Rupa, the manager, often teases me about making her cold be having bare legs in January - even if it's just a few inches of skin, she thinks I am crazy! She grew up in India, and is looking forward to reading the book - I'll let you know what she thinks of it, as she promises to report back in! "Remember," she told me, "English is not exactly my first language, so I'm not as fast a reader as some of you. My brain does numbers - that's why I have this career! But I will definitely let you know if I like it!"
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I look forward to hearing Rupa's thoughts about the book given her familiarity with India. I haven't started it yet (darned job is cutting into my reading time!), but I hope to jump in this week. We've got some icy cold days in the forecast--perfect for wrapping up in a big fleece robe with a pot of tea and a book.

'The Book of Joby' just arrived from Amazon, I am so looking forward to reading it. Got to finish my library book first though, (One of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, Blackwood Farm) I can't read two fiction books at the same time, tend to get the stories muddled up.

Kudos to you, Karen! I think its wonderful that you are blogging your reviews. While not one myself, I live with a voracious reader, & it's great to be an adult and still be read to at bedtime, lol! I think JoJoe & I would both enjoy River of Doubt, it sounds fascinating. Think I'll give our library a call & see if I can get a copy. Thanks for taking time to share your insights.