Thread: Had my hearing tested today...

Had my hearing tested today...

About 6 years ago, when I was still in Michigan, I had a bout of vertigo, with vomiting, dizziness, the works.

My doctor sent me for a MRI of my right ear. I had an "unidentified inflammation". The hearing impairment and tinitis is driving me crazy so I went to an ENT. He told me that I have a "moderately severe" hearing loss in my right ear. He told me that I have a 1 in 1,000 chance of having a tumor (similar to a wart, benign) causing my hearing loss. I told him about the MRI and he asked me to get a copy of it and the last audiology report. MRI not available, did get a copy of the audiology report where it indicates something about a "lesion". Okay, now I'm REAL curious.

I asked him worse case scenario. He said surgery is only performed on "growing" tumors. Risks include permanent/worse tinitis, total hearing loss. Surgery is overnight in the ICU.

We're going to cross that bridge when we come to it. I have another hearing test in 6 months. He may send me for another MRI of the ear to see how big it is, and to determine if it grew.

It sure SUCKS to get old!
    Last edited by moosmom; 05-02-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

We are all sending along good wishes and prayers for dealing with this and that it can be treated satisfactorily.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I had an acoustic neuroma - benign tumor - removed from my hearing nerve 16 years ago now. It is benign but slow-growing, so I was fortunate that it was caught when it was still very small. I had already lost some hearing in that ear anyway, which is how it was discovered, and after the surgery am deaf on that side, but it was worth it to get it removed before it grew and caused bigger problems.

And now I don't get motion sick, which before I did very easily. So there's an upside!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen,

THAT'S IT!!! I couldn't think of the name. This constant tinitis is driving me NUTS!! I have a call into him to see if he wants me to get an MRI (again) so we can measure it in 6 months.

I swear, by the time I'm 70 I'll be blind and DEAF!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Karen,

THAT'S IT!!! I couldn't think of the name. This constant tinitis is driving me NUTS!! I have a call into him to see if he wants me to get an MRI (again) so we can measure it in 6 months.

I swear, by the time I'm 70 I'll be blind and DEAF!!!
    Well, if you look at my prescription, and everything, many folks would tell you I am already half-blind, and am certainly half deaf!
    I've Been Frosted

Hey Babes you might be blind and deaf by 70 but not DUMB lol, seriously my dear friend i am sorry to hear of your latest health issues, and i hope there is nothing too major going on and they can help you,just wanted you to know you are very much in my thoughts, take care dearest Donna.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

And as you know, as we've met in person, being deaf in one side is not really a big deal, and can be helpful at times when you want to "turn a deaf ear" to someone - you can actually do it! And, to my way of thinking, I'd much rather be completely deaf on one side than dealing with tintinitis for sure! And, as you will likely ALWAYS have animals at home, you can count on them to turn their heads or swivel their ears toward any strange noise, so you'll know where it is coming from. Me, right now I have to ask Paul. (Who is remarkably patient with it, thankfully!)
    I've Been Frosted

Sending positive thoughts your way!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Karen,

What's funny is, my daughter has a hearing impairment in her left ear. It definitely causes issues because my "good ear" is on her "bad side" and hers is on my bad side.

I'm sorry. I will pray for you.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Sending good wishes your way, Donna!

My Dad had Menier's Disease in his right ear, and he used it to his advantage while driving and Mom was in the passenger's seat. He always claimed that he didn't hear what she was saying. I said it was selective hearing since he could hear what he wanted to hear!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~