Thread: This horse has her own little box of crazy

This horse has her own little box of crazy

My goodness! For the past month or so, I've been riding this off the track Thoroughbred named Aria. She's absolutely AWESOME and can jump pretty much anything, but she is SO HIGH STRUNG.

Of course, yesterday she was also in heat. She almost got me off before we'd even walked a full lap around the arena. She was SO witchy! She also decided that she wasn't going to turn to the right, which lead to lots of stall outs, bucks, and a few smacks on the rump from me. (we totally got it by the end, though!)

I'm slowly learning to work with her, though, and it's going really well. There's a lot less demanding and a lot more compromise, and if I ask right she will do anything. Right now we're staying to low jumps, working on our turns and distances and pace at 3' before we move up. I've seen this horse do 4'6" though without too much struggle.

If there was any way for me to lease/own this horse, I'd be ALL over it. Even the barn owner/head trainer/Aria's owner likes her and I together (last night, he said that I ride her the best out of anyone at the barn )

Here she is doing 3'6" with my trainer...so little effort!

And, just because I think his face is hilarious, have Gunner photobombing after our ride on Monday
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

LOL What an expression! She looks like quite a character!

Sounds like you've found you the right horse! Nice pics!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

The horses that are the biggest challenge can be the most fun! Makes getting good behavior out of her more satisfying!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The horses that are the biggest challenge can be the most fun! Makes getting good behavior out of her more satisfying!
    Agreed! Our first lesson was an absolute DISASTER. The tougher she got, the tougher I got which isn't what this horse needs at all. I've slowly figured out that the rougher and more worked up she gets, the softer and more relaxed I have to get. Baby steps?

Interesting read, good for you learning what will work best for her.

Caption that photo, "You want my pic looking like THIS?!" Ahahahaaaa.

Thank you

I'm also a bit of a "proud momma" right now because one of the ponies I helped train over the winter has been doing SOSO well! He's got a half leaser who rides him 3 days a week and then he's ridden by some other little girls 2-3 other days.

I swear, this pony is perfect! He's only 5 and already teaching these kids SO much. This is Billy and one of his little riders at the schooling show my barn had last month

Oh my gosh! Billy is a cute pony!!!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I think he's adorable, but I might be a little biased

But seriously, I'm crushed knowing that he's gonna gray out and lose all of his chrome eventually.