Thread: Money saving tip

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Money saving tip

This is for the ladies with short hair that color their hair at home. If you have medium/long hair it isn't for you, but you might want to read anyway and pass it along to your short haired friends and relatives.

Everytime I color my hair, I end up throwing half of the solution out, since I don't need it all. I was trying to avoid this waste and come up with a solution to the issue. You can't save any unused portion which seems like such a waste, so I was wondering if I could freeze it and then thaw the next time I needed to color. I scrapped that idea - with my luck the solution would go thru some transformation in the thawing process that would turn my hair green or cause it to fall out!!! So the only other idea was to just mix up half to use now, and save the other half (unmixed and returned to the original bottles) for the next coloring. I just poured each bottle into separate bowls and used a medicine syringe to measure precisely half the amount of each - set aside what I would need for this coloring, and returned the other half to their respective bottles.

Okay - so some probably think I'm cheap , but I like to think of it as being thrifty, and I do hate waste. Being retired and on a fixed income, every little bit I can save adds up. No - it's not a ton of money by any stretch of the imagination, but for me, taking the extra few minutes to do the measuring process is worth the savings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Although I don't use hair color products, I know they're expensive, so why not save it until next time.

I have several ways of saving, one is that I use the bottle of vinegar to pour into glasses and my electric kettle - we have so much calcium in the water.

Another thing I'm saving on, is those little plastic bags on a roll, the ones they have in supermarkets for vegetables etc. I usually take a few extra and use them for Fister's litter. Oh, and bring my own plastic bags for groceries - if you buy one they cost 50 cents.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

Another thing I'm saving on, is those little plastic bags on a roll, the ones they have in supermarkets for vegetables etc. I usually take a few extra and use them for Fister's litter. Oh, and bring my own plastic bags for groceries - if you buy one they cost 50 cents.
    Holy mackerel!!! - 50 cents per bag??? Actually, that's a darn good idea and I wish stores here would do that. That way more people would use the reusable bags made from recycled plastic and not just lug a dozen of the other bags out of the store - which they don't have to pay anything for. I've been using the reusable bags for a couple of years now, and can't imagine how many of the store plastic bags I have avoided using in the process, but I hardly ever see many people doing the same.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Hey I'm for anything to save a buck theses days. I have often wondered if there wasn't some way to do this.

Beauty supply store

If you want to save even more, go to a beauty supply place and buy your color and developer. Mega cheap and you can measure as little as you need. Its around 4 dollars for the color and 3 for the developer. I bet you could get three colorings for the color. The developer is cheap and you could probably get 5 or 6 colorings out of the developer, if you buy a large bottle. The prices could have changed since I last looked.

By the way, I just moments ago arrived home from having my hair colored. and cut. $135, plus tip.

I need to do this myself, but I am so afraid!

Gotta run.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post

By the way, I just moments ago arrived home from having my hair colored. and cut. $135, plus tip.

I need to do this myself, but I am so afraid!

Gotta run.
    Yikes - I could never afford that. I paid $20 for a cut a couple of weeks ago. My son's ex wife does my hair and she charges me family rates at her shop- which is only $10 but I always give her $20. My Clairol hair color kit is $9 and since I can get 2 applications, then that's only $4.50 a pop. $24.50 and that's a cut and color and will last about 8 weeks till I need to do it all over again. I like my cost better than yours!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Cheap-cheap

Here's another "cheapy" tip:

What to do with that bowl of tapioca pudding that for some reason didn't set like it should??? No - don't drink it, or don't throw it out - use it in place of the milk or cream that you would put on hot cereal like Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat. It's already sweet so you don't need to put sugar on the cereal, and it really gives it a nice taste.

That's my bit of useless info for the day........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013