Thread: Rest in peace, my sweet Mercedes

Rest in peace, my sweet Mercedes

My little rat, Mercedes, known as Mercy, died in her sleep last night, presumably as a complication of her mammary tumour. She was approximately 2 years 4 months old, and led a happy little life that brought even greater happiness to my family, most of all to me.

I was expecting her to succumb to her tumour fairly soon after I last saw her just over a fortnight ago, when I was home from university. She was still very much the Mercy we all knew and loved, but she had lost a little spark of vitality, and was under apparent strain with the tumour and her arthritis. She was such a resilient and brave soul, and would still attempt to climb the bars of her cage to greet anyone who passed it, even though the strength in her little legs was not there.

I am, of course, devastated that I couldn't be there to say a final goodbye to her, but in some ways I think her passing was the best it could be. According to my family, she was pretty perky and happy in the evening, and was found curled up in her nest the next morning. She more than likely went to sleep as the lights in the house went out, as usual, and passed very peacefully. I am so very, very glad, that I didn't have the long, drawn-out saga of her steady decline, as happened with my other two RB ratties, Tia Maria and Flossie. I'm glad I didn't have to give the final word to my family to take her to be PTS. I'm glad she was comfortable, and in familiar surroundings, in her last hours. Some of that I say with my vet-head, the rest with my heart.

It almost seems, as well, that she timed her passing to see the family through some hardship. My grandfather became very ill with cancer earlier in the year, and my mother ended up as his full time carer, taking leave from her job and watching her last blood relative (other than myself and my brother) decline, and eventually die of a heart attack before her own eyes. Following that, she then went through a very bad patch - losing a lot of weight, and being prescribed anti-depressants and sleeping pills. This was a huge strain on the family, and not ideal in my already stressful exam period, at which I go near insane anyway. It was very difficult trying to be as calm as possible, to make things easier for my mum, whilst trying also to devote as much attention as possible to study. Throughout ALL of this, Mercy had her problems, but she was always there, for all of us, as a companion, confidante, and best friend.

In the past week or so, my exams are over, life in London is getting back to normal, and my mum has come off her medication and is back at work, feeling that she's over the worst and ready to move on. And thus it seems like Mercy took stock that we were all OK now, and quietly took her leave. I like to think of it that way, anyway.

I'll miss her to bits, especially so when I go back home, some time in the future, and she isn't there. All my ratties have been characters, and she certainly was no exception. I have so many brilliant memories with her, and she will never be forgotten.

This was a thread I posted last week, showing some of the last pics we have of her. You can see that, although she's clearly aged, she's happy, and I'm just so thankful she was happy right until the very end.

Rest gently, my Mercy Ratte. Know that you were loved so very much, by so many.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    RIP pretty Mercedes. Your job here was complete and you did it so well too - keeping your family together when they could have fallen apart. Now it's time for you to rest and enjoy the life of a RB Rattie. Find Tia Marie and Flossie and play till your heart's content.

Zara - My granddaughter's name is Tia Alexandra, but I always called her Tia Maria when she was little!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Such a lovely tribute to dear Mercedes. I am sorry for your loss, Zara. RIP little rattie, you were much loved.

Rest in peace, pretty girl, now that your pain and illness are over. Send your mom some bruxes and boggles in her dreams, so she will know you are safe and sound at The Rainbow Bridge.
    We'll be thinking of you, Zara.

Rest in peace sweet Mercy.
    I am so sorry this has come so closely upon you making the last thread about her. I'm sorry it had to come at all, actually.

Thanks for sharing her with us.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I'm so sorry that lovely Mercy has had to leave you. I hope it is some compensation that you didn't have to watch her failing more every day and that she had such a gentle passing.

Scamper happily Mercy, free of health problems.

RIP sweet Mercy. You had so many that loved you from near and far. You were one pampered princess, and rightfully so!

Zara, I am so sorry for your loss.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm sorry to hear the sad news, Zara.

Such a lovely tribute to your sweet girl.

Rest in peace now little Mercedes.

I'm very sorry about Mercedes.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I remember seeing a video of Mercy jumping from a chair to you. I thought what a great little rat.

RIP Mercedes
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thank you, everyone. Mercy was buried on Sunday evening. My brother put a little note in the box with her, and a tomato (she LOVED tomatoes!). It's a very strange feeling, being so away from it all...

Zimbabwe 07/13

What a lovely and moving tribute, Zara, to a sweet, wee rattie. RIP Mercedes.

I'm so sorry to see of sweet Mercy's passing . She was well loved and had a wonderful life with you. May she rest in peace and run pain free at the bridge . Big (((HUGS))) to you, Zara!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Blog Entries

Mercedes

So sorry to hear your little Mercy passed, I know you will miss her terribly. What a sweet little soul, may she rest in peace, take care. Peace and love