Thread: Overweight indoor cats

Overweight indoor cats

I have two middle aged female cats who are a bit on the chunky side. My vet wants them to have an all-meat diet, but I cannot find a reduced-calorie food that is both good-quality and palatable. They absolutey refuse to eat the diet food, and, since a cat has to eat reguarly, I am worried they will get sick. Does anyone know of a palatable low-calorie food that cats like? I will consider a kibble food if all else fails.

Four years back, I switched to a grain free food. My cats trimmed down nicely with no work on my part.

Also, don't leave food out all the time. Set food out twice a day for half an hour, morning and evening. End of the half hour pick it up put it out of reach.

If you can also work in a play time a few times a day, with a toy on a string, that will help. Make sure to put the toy away at the end; the toy on a string is dangerous if left around.

I don't know which brands are available to you (I am in US), but I use this site to find a good high quality grain free food:
    http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

Use a good quality kibble - and read the measuring instructions on the bag. You can get a small set of measuring cups at a dollar store.

Look for the amount of food that matches the weight each cat should be, and divide it in half if you want to feed twice a day.

I put the dishes away when my three are finished each meal.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda