Thread: Cat Fights

Hybrid View

Cat Fights

Buddy and Mama again this morning. Everything was fine when I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. Half way through brushing I hear Mama cat SCREAM and the two of them run down the hall, into my bedroom, Buddy chasing Mama. I yelled at them and tried to separate them to no avail. Mama went around and under the bed and Buddy followed. I tried to get them to come out.

I just do not understand after all of these years of them living together what gets into them. It really upsets me!

Can't help you other than hand holding

I feel your pain. It has been a couple of months that I have had this same problem. After 8 or so years, two of my cats are fighting.

I have a vet appointment on Saturday with one cat and will ask the vet for some Prozac. I don't know if the vet will agree.

Right now, I keep the cats separated in two different parts of the house. It isn't fun at all, but the alternative is not nice either.

I feel your pain.

Sas

Is either one maybe sick or uncomfortable? That can sometimes cause "displaced aggression" - a.k.a. "my foot hurts, so I'm gonna attack YOU!" Any other changes in the house? Time for some Feliway around?
    I've Been Frosted

Sometimes I think it might have something to do with a "I want to be the alpha cat" thing. In my years of cat ownership I've had this happen alot. Right now it's my little cat, Tonka, who thinks she should be the boss of the household and not Carlito.

Quote Originally Posted by whoopdeedo View Post
    Sometimes I think it might have something to do with a "I want to be the alpha cat" thing. In my years of cat ownership I've had this happen alot. Right now it's my little cat, Tonka, who thinks she should be the boss of the household and not Carlito.
    Oh it is definitely the alpha thing. They have never gotten along 100% since the day Mama entered my home. It doesn't happen enough that I would ever medicate either one of them. Buddy is such a love. I sometimes think he just does it to "get her goat". Either that or she is sending him some sort of signals that I can't pick up on. Sometimes, she will even come up to him and dip an ear down. I just wish I could read their minds. I have hoped all along that eventually they would get along. Buddy goes for his annual check-up next month. I will ask the vet if he has any suggestions.

Tomorrow, I am having an author on the radio show and her book is called Cats Behaving Badly! If I get a chance, I will ask her more about this, it is covered some in the book itself, too.
    I've Been Frosted

I was not able to squeeze in that specific question, as we had so much to talk about, but in the book, she does mention making sure the cat who is being attacked has somewhere he or she can go to get away from the other, and also mentioned using Feliway spray around to keep things calmer. Did you know (which I didn't) that Feliway is based on the hormones cats leave on things when they rub their faces on them? So it makes them feel calm and like it's all okay!
    I've Been Frosted