Thread: Cat Fights

Cat Fights

Buddy and Mama again this morning. Everything was fine when I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. Half way through brushing I hear Mama cat SCREAM and the two of them run down the hall, into my bedroom, Buddy chasing Mama. I yelled at them and tried to separate them to no avail. Mama went around and under the bed and Buddy followed. I tried to get them to come out.

I just do not understand after all of these years of them living together what gets into them. It really upsets me!

Can't help you other than hand holding

I feel your pain. It has been a couple of months that I have had this same problem. After 8 or so years, two of my cats are fighting.

I have a vet appointment on Saturday with one cat and will ask the vet for some Prozac. I don't know if the vet will agree.

Right now, I keep the cats separated in two different parts of the house. It isn't fun at all, but the alternative is not nice either.

I feel your pain.

Sas

Is either one maybe sick or uncomfortable? That can sometimes cause "displaced aggression" - a.k.a. "my foot hurts, so I'm gonna attack YOU!" Any other changes in the house? Time for some Feliway around?
    I've Been Frosted

Sometimes I think it might have something to do with a "I want to be the alpha cat" thing. In my years of cat ownership I've had this happen alot. Right now it's my little cat, Tonka, who thinks she should be the boss of the household and not Carlito.

Quote Originally Posted by whoopdeedo View Post
    Sometimes I think it might have something to do with a "I want to be the alpha cat" thing. In my years of cat ownership I've had this happen alot. Right now it's my little cat, Tonka, who thinks she should be the boss of the household and not Carlito.
    Oh it is definitely the alpha thing. They have never gotten along 100% since the day Mama entered my home. It doesn't happen enough that I would ever medicate either one of them. Buddy is such a love. I sometimes think he just does it to "get her goat". Either that or she is sending him some sort of signals that I can't pick up on. Sometimes, she will even come up to him and dip an ear down. I just wish I could read their minds. I have hoped all along that eventually they would get along. Buddy goes for his annual check-up next month. I will ask the vet if he has any suggestions.

Tomorrow, I am having an author on the radio show and her book is called Cats Behaving Badly! If I get a chance, I will ask her more about this, it is covered some in the book itself, too.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Tomorrow, I am having an author on the radio show and her book is called Cats Behaving Badly! If I get a chance, I will ask her more about this, it is covered some in the book itself, too.
    Okay. Thanks!

I suggest you not try to separate them with your hands - a riled cat can easily scratch and/ or bite anything nearby. Use a water squirt bottle.

I also find it helps if I can distract / scare them: a loud stomp on the floor near the bed (why they think under a bed is a good place to fight is beyond me). Bang on the wall and holler. Or just spray the water bottle at random under the bed, moving your hand from head to foot and back again. "I" become the big bad enemy and they can no longer focus on one another.

It doesn't prevent the fight, but it helps to stop the fight.

Seems like Crystal and Tommy have a spat now and then - usually middle of the night! ARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I suggest you not try to separate them with your hands - a riled cat can easily scratch and/ or bite anything nearby. Use a water squirt bottle.

I also find it helps if I can distract / scare them: a loud stomp on the floor near the bed (why they think under a bed is a good place to fight is beyond me). Bang on the wall and holler. Or just spray the water bottle at random under the bed, moving your hand from head to foot and back again. "I" become the big bad enemy and they can no longer focus on one another.

It doesn't prevent the fight, but it helps to stop the fight.

Seems like Crystal and Tommy have a spat now and then - usually middle of the night! ARGH!
    Yes, my guys all have all of their claws so I am careful not to get in between. I like the spray bottle idea. I am going to try that.

I was not able to squeeze in that specific question, as we had so much to talk about, but in the book, she does mention making sure the cat who is being attacked has somewhere he or she can go to get away from the other, and also mentioned using Feliway spray around to keep things calmer. Did you know (which I didn't) that Feliway is based on the hormones cats leave on things when they rub their faces on them? So it makes them feel calm and like it's all okay!
    I've Been Frosted

I was not able to squeeze in that specific question, as we had so much to talk about, but in the book, she does mention making sure the cat who is being attacked has somewhere he or she can go to get away from the other, and also mentioned using Feliway spray around to keep things calmer. Did you know (which I didn't) that Feliway is based on the hormones cats leave on things when they rub their faces on them? So it makes them feel calm and like it's all okay!
    Thanks Karen! I am going to get some of the Feliway.

This morning they were fine. I was getting ready for work and going from room to room as I usually do. They were hanging out by the food dishes together. Even though I put food in their bowls the minute I get up, they still sit there like they are expecting something more.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Thanks Karen! I am going to get some of the Feliway.

This morning they were fine. I was getting ready for work and going from room to room as I usually do. They were hanging out by the food dishes together. Even though I put food in their bowls the minute I get up, they still sit there like they are expecting something more.
    One of the interesting things she mentioned in the book - I'll get a review up on my blog soon, is that cats have much more persistence and patience than we humans by nature. That's why they are often better at training us than vice versa!
    I've Been Frosted

... cats have much more persistence and patience than we humans by nature. That's why they are often better at training us than vice versa!
    Isn't that the truth!

I like the idea if the spary bottle and Feliway.

Let is know how it goes! Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

So you know that Diego was attacking Cali and that Diego is on prozac. Well sometimes he still goes after her. This is when I break out the feliway and a collar for each of them. I spray the feliway on the collar and each kitty gets to wear one for as long as I determine is necessary. All chasing, biting, etc. stops immediately. I've been doing this for a while. Now, when they misbehave all I have to do is pull the collars out and shake them so kitties see them and all action stops immediately. They do not want to wear the collars so they settle right down.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21