Thread: What kind of brush for Sissy?

What kind of brush for Sissy?

I'm going to PetSmart tomorrow and want to get a brush for Sissy.

Be specific please; what kind of brush do I need for her? With LilGirl I dont brush at all.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    You really don't want a brush in the true sense of the word - you need a rake to get down thru the heavy undercoat, since that's what she'll shed. This is what I use on Myndi:

Name:  41qu4ZRUrL.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  7.2 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'd get a slicker brush as well as the rake. You need to lift the coat up as you're brushing to make sure you are brushing all the way to the skin. Hold the fur up up while brushing down if that makes sense. Then take the rake through to make sure you brushed all of the undercoat. Make sure you take off her collar if she wears one and brush under it frequently. If you are going to give her a bath make sure you brush her well before the bath because if you bathe her and her undercoat is starting to get tight bathing her will make it way worse. I see a lot of people with poms and such that just brush the surface so the dog looks brushed out but near the skin they are matted, sometimes to the point they have to be shaved.

I can second that about brushing out BEFORE a bath! Mats just tighten right up when they get wet and the only option at that point is to cut it out / off. Mats pull the skin, and can hurt the dog.

I've not had a Pom, not used that that sort of coat. In addition to under the collar, watch under the front arm pits. Man, do bichons mat in that area!

LOL - absolutely - brush out all that dead and shedding fuzzy fluffy undercoat BEFORE the bath. You will be amazed at the amount you rake out, and still have her look like a rolly-poly fuzz ball. After I'm done with Myndi, I always say that I have enough to make another dog!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Thanks to all of you who replied. My Goodness, What have I gotten myself into? Sounds like HAIR HAIR and more HAIR LOL. I am sure I would have gotten the wrong "brush". I will look for a rake; thanks pomtzu for the picture. WolfQ, I'll look (ask) for a slicker brush (whatever that is). ok, Folks, I understand about taking care of the hair BEFORE a bath. Oh My, this is going to be interesting!

Nah, don't be overwhelmed . The brushing isn't too bad, though when you get all that undercoat out of there, it does look like you have enough hair for another dog . And on the bright side of things, Poms don't shed too much! Except when they are losing their undercoat. Then there are little puffballs everywhere, hehe.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

That's true - they really don't shed much (on furniture/carpet), and the undercoat just hangs in with the rest of the fur and has to be raked out. If you don't get it out, then it will eventually clump and mat, and that's when you have the problem. If you just groom her every couple of weeks, she should do great.
    And if you get a slicker brush, make sure you get one with plastic pins and not metal. Those metal ones are too sharp. I personally never use one - just the rake and a regular steel dog grooming comb.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

9. ^ depends on how much pressure is used. course if a persons brushing hard then yeah it could hurt the dog,, but if lighter pressures used its fine.

I personally use a metal slicker brush. It certainly can hurt the dog if you press too hard, just make sure your brushing properly. They are amazing for dogs with thick fur. Poodles also have fur that doesn't shed much because it all just sticks in her coat. So be sure to brush often and get all that stuff out before mats start!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

11. ^ actually if Poodles,, if theyre pure breds,, dont shed at all except when your brush them an course when you cut the hair off. Poms though have a coat where some of it will come out all on its own.