Thread: 50 Things Your Vet Won't Tell You

Hybrid View

50 Things Your Vet Won't Tell You

Saw this on another forum, found it an interesting read. Some things I knew, some things I learned and some made me laugh!

Apparently, this was originally printed in a Readers Digest.

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/50-thin...ideshow=slide1

I loved the third one: "3. “Most hospitals keep comprehensive records of behavior—of both your pet and you! If you are aggressive to the staff, you will be treated differently.”

I can just see it now "Dog friendly, owner bites, beware!"
    I've Been Frosted

*giggle* Makes me want to know what our file says - about ME! Ha haaa

Thanks for posting this! I found myself nodding my head at nearly all of them; the malpractice ones worried me, and the three at the end had me laughing into my coffee. I think these three are worth a quote:

“If we wanted to go into it for the money, we’d have become human doctors.”—Oscar Chavez, DVM.
    So very true. I think the point also stands for vets criticised of being lazy - I don't know any doctor who has had to chase their patient round a field!

“New staff or training students sometimes practice injections or catheter placements on your pet. If you’d rather not allow your pet to be used this way, make sure you say something beforehand.”—Oscar Chavez, DVM.
    I can understand pet owners feeling uneasy about this, but if everyone did this, how are we supposed to learn? Textbook diagrams and poking the college animals only goes so far. 4th/5th year students will be doing routine spays and neuters and the likes in their placement practices too. So long as it's done in the presence of a qualified vet at all times (as it's legally required to be), it should never be an issue. And of course it should only ever be done when required from the POV of the animal, not just as target practice for the trainee. If you suspect otherwise, you should probably forget the student/trainee altogether and just change vets.

“When people surrender their pets because they can’t afford their problems, I often end up with them. I’ve got a three-legged cat, a one-eyed cat, three dogs that required major surgeries, one goat, and 11 chickens.”—Patty Khuly, VMD.
    Oh that is certainly going to be me in the future. I have already briefed close friends and family that they will be called upon to take in any overflow stock.

Zimbabwe 07/13

I already knew this one, and it's why I NEVER EVER donate to no-kill shelters. My money goes to my city's shelter, which is honest about having to euthanize for space.

“I’ll let you in on the secret of no-kill shelters: We had a contract with our local Humane Society that stated we’d euthanize the animals in their care that needed to be put down. One Sunday, they sent us 72 cats to put down. By the end, we were all emotionally devastated.”—Jessica Stout-Harris.

“You can go to an online pharmacy and get the same exact drugs you would get from your vet for 10 to 20 percent off. But check first to make sure it’s certified as a Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Site (VIPPS certified). Some vets will also match online prices—you just have to know to ask.”—Patty Khuly, VMD.

It's good to know they do certify some places, makes it a lot easier to trust them.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    I already knew this one, and it's why I NEVER EVER donate to no-kill shelters. My money goes to my city's shelter, which is honest about having to euthanize for space.

“I’ll let you in on the secret of no-kill shelters: We had a contract with our local Humane Society that stated we’d euthanize the animals in their care that needed to be put down. One Sunday, they sent us 72 cats to put down. By the end, we were all emotionally devastated.”—Jessica Stout-Harris.

Please note that this is not ALWAYS correct. I am personally aware of many no-kill shelters (both dog and cat) that do NOT euthanize for space. No-Kill is horribly misunderstood, and those not supporting the movement often say things that aren't true of 'No-Kill' facilities. There isn't anything honest about euthanizing for space. It is akin to someone confessing to murder, and expecting to be let off, cause they told the truth about it.

www.nathanwinograd.com