Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please, Call Congress

Please, Call Congress

Most of the board knows I work for the US Postal Service.

What most of the board doesn't know is that for the last 2 weeks I have been calling, emailing, and writing every Congressional representative, Senator, State and Local representative in my area trying to fight the closure of the Postal Processing facility I work for.

This afternoon I received a notice from one of the Congressional aides who has been extremely generous with his time notifying me that the Congressman has joined with his colleagues to introduce the Postal Service Protection Act.

Here's a link to the release:

http://hinchey.house.gov/index.php?o...press-releases

Before the knee jerk bailout comments start, let me just say this: Without something being done to provide some sanity to Postal Service, there will be problems for many people. Ebay is a sales site on the internet, but without shipping, they don't have a business. The Postal service provides competition to keep rates low. Veterans who receive VA medical care get their scrips through the post office, as do many others. Payroll checks, SS checks, and other tangibles that people rely on a timely delivery of would see a major negative impact, as without legislation to direct them otherwise, the USPS has decided that delivery standards will cease.

I would ask everyone who resides in the US to contact their legislators about this. The Postal Service is one of the few entities specifically authorized in the US Constitution. It's time Congress reversed the devastating 2006 PAEA legislation (which requires pre-payment of 75 years of retiree benefits in 10 years) and fixes the finances of the entity they have ignored for so long.

As we moved a few months ago, I have to find my new rep's email or phone, but will do so. This is important, especially for people - unlike me - who live in rural areas, and for elderly residents no matter where they live.

We can make a difference everyone! Let our representatives know this is more important than partisan bickering, and debating who will be president over a year from now.

I told him to put this in General, as the Postal Service affects all of us!
    I've Been Frosted

For those of you who don't know who your legislator is, here's a link for a locator:

http://whoismyrepresentative.com/

Done for Oregon.

Thank you.

And thanks to Congressman DeFazio for calling for the firing of the PMG.

Definitely going to contact mine. I am opposed to the closings they are talking about.

I work in a city where the population is close to 30,000 and growing with the recent activity with the gas industry. They are talking of closing the processing center here and moving it to a city about 2 hours away. The local mail that my office produces daily will go to another center 2 hours away and then back here. I cannot imagine the delay the mail is going to have if they do this. We send out time sensitive documents from our office.

My father worked for the U.S. Postal service for 30 years. He was a dedicated employee and it saddens him to see what is happening. I know there is always a line at the local post office here. What are the people shipping packages to do? I would much rather use the Post Office.

And a small piece of good news:

Statement on Delay of Closing or Consolidation of Post Offices

and Mail Processing Facilities

The U.S. Postal Service, in response to a request made by multiple U.S. Senators, has agreed to delay the closing or consolidation of any Post Office or mail processing facility until May 15, 2012. The Postal Service will continue all necessary steps required for the review of these facilities during the interim period, including public input meetings.

The Postal Service hopes this period will help facilitate the enactment of comprehensive postal legislation. Given the Postal Service’s financial situation and the loss of mail volume, the Postal Service must continue to take all steps necessary to reduce costs and increase revenue.

The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It's time Congress reversed the devastating 2006 PAEA legislation (which requires pre-payment of 75 years of retiree benefits in 10 years) and fixes the finances of the entity they have ignored for so long.

This sounds outrageous. 75 years? No other Agency or Dept is required
    to fund for that length of time. No wonder the USPS is always broke.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

LH, quick question: Is the government not allowed to provide bail-out funds to its own operations? If Congress can act to bail out big corporations, why are they not able to do the same for USPS. Is it because USPS is a government entity?

The post office in LaGrange has a machine that I love. You can use it to purchase stamps even after the post office has closed, and if you need just a few-- it custom prints a tiny little stamp-like sticker for you with the appropriate postage on it. I needed two stamps at 5 o'clock on Sunday afternoon to send bills out the next morning - Problem solved.

What I miss is that they've eliminated the early A.M. pickup. Used to be that I could drop stuff in the box and it would go out around 7 the next morning. Now the first collection isn't till noon so I have to allow an extra day.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The USPS is off-budget, so it receives no tax money other than what the government pays for postage. In 2006 things looked rosy for the Postal service, and Congress decided, in a lame duck session, that rather than allow the USPS to use the money to fund continuing operations, that the USPS should use the money to pre-fund retirement benefits for employees who haven't even been born yet.

If you have a mortgage, and the bank decides to change a 30 year note to a 10 year note by fiat, it might cause you a few financial difficulties, and that's exactly what happened.

Then came the recession, which cut down on the amount of mail being sent.

Minus the PAEA legislation, the Postal service has actually turned a $1 billion profit over the last 5 years.

The money the USPS is losing is entirely due to badly flawed legislation, and it's time to fix it.

The Postal Service, after having their arms twisted by 14 Senators, has agreed to a five month moratorium on closing post offices and moving mail processing plants.

They're still going to do all the groundwork for the moves, but will make no physical moves until after 15 May 2012.

Hopefully, this will give Congress time to pass some sane legislation.

With Rep. Hinchey's bill in the house and Sen. Sander's bill in the Senate being close mirrors of each other, it would be nice to see both houses move on the legislation, pass it with little to no partisan wrangling in reconciliation as the bills are near mirrors of each other, and get it to the President's desk for signature.

I'd like to thank Rep. Hinchey and Rep. Hanna for their support, as well as the 14 Senators who forced the moratorium. We've had a lot of support on the state side as well, with NY State Senators Libous and O'Mara writing letters opposing the consolidations as well.

The support we've been given in NY State is bipartisan. I can only hope that the rest of the Congress can see what a mess this will create if nothing is done legislatively.

Got an email from Oregon Rep Earl Blumenauer this morning with positive comments.
    States he is cosponsor of the USPS Pension Obligation Recalculation and Restoration Act of 2011. That's a good thing?

It's one of several bills which would be a start to fixing this mess. Thanks for the help!

LH, there was a demonstration today in downtown Chicago about this, and I thought of you.

Here's a story. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...g-legislation/
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

While people complain every time the price of a postage stamp goes up..where can you get ANYTHING for that price??? And while you and I have had issues here, and some heated debates, I'm ALWAYS happy to help a friend.

CT covered on my end.

Good luck, dude!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!