Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to wearing glasses - ICK!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Back to wearing glasses - ICK!

I guess this qualifies as a rant..........

After enjoying the last 4 or 5 years of being free of eyeglasses, except for readers (after cataract surgery), I have to start wearing them again. I'm not happy! It started out last Fall with things not as sharp and clear as they had been, and not being able to read some print while watching t.v., or some road signs while driving. It just got steadily worse, tho at my eye exam in December it wasn't bad enough to go back to glasses at that time. Then a couple of weeks ago I developed an eye infection and a pea sized knot in the middle of my upper eyelid and went back to the doctor. Meds cleared the infection, but the knot, which is a clogged gland, didn't go away in spite of hot compresses, meds, etc. Back to doc yesterday and they did a refraction and another exam, and the vision was even worse. It was 20/20 in both eyes after the cataracts were removed, but now it's deteriorated to 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other. No wonder everything is fuzzy and I see double in the bad eye. So I ended up ordering my new glasses and I'm now $300+ poorer (and that was with a 30% discount I get thru my supplemental insurance) than I was before yesterday - an expense I wasn't expecting, and sure didn't need. Well they say you can't take it with you, but it would be nice to have it while you're still here.
    And if the knot doesn't break up in the next few weeks, they will have to incise it and drain it. Good grief - does the fun never end???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I hate glasses! Been wearing them since the 4th grade. I did wear contacts for a few years but cannot wear them any longer.

Sorry you have to go back to them again. It would be such freedom without them.

Oh, Pom, sorry you had to spend so much on your glasses, and all the trouble you've been having. In the future, there are glasses places you can order online for a fraction of that amount, but I understand you needed these immediately anyway!

I have worn glasses since I was 9, and basically cannot imagine NOT wearing them!
    I've Been Frosted

I love wearing glasses and have at least twenty pairs. I admit to having an eyeglass issue and match every outfit to my glasses ( right now I'm wearing a fuschia top with yellows and purples. My glasses? Fushia frames with purple and yellow temples.

I get them online for $20 or so per pair. Zennioptical.com or goggles4u.com. my friends, family, and coworkers all use those site now.

I'm supposed to wear glasses, but I feel they are just a nuisance instead of helping me. I am also due for another exam, but I put it off when I was going through my stuff and then my surgery. And I'm still putting it off for no reason now.

I hope the knot goes away on its own so you don't have to have that procedure done. That doesn't sound fun.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Yeah - I started wearing glasses when I was 9, and wore them up until the cataract surgery, and now I'm back to them. I fought contacts for about a year, but my eyes are just too dry - and it wasn't worth all the effort. They were more trouble than they were worth.

I did check out Zinni Optical, but ruled them out. I realize you can get a general idea of what they will look like from the "try on" option, but you can't tell what they will feel like. If I got a nice looking pair but they were uncomfortable, I wouldn't wear them. Been there - done that. I thought about getting prescription sunglasses from Zinni, but what they have as sunglasses, is a regular frame and script, with the polarized clip on to fit them. I can get polarized clip ons anywhere here that sells sunglasses, since that's what I had when I wore glasses before. I inquired yesterday when I ordered my glasses, about the price of putting polarized lenses in my old frame that I already had. Sure - they would do that - to the tune of $140. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Pom, I'm sorry to hear about your eye vision problems. I do hope the knot goes away on its own but if it doesnt I'm sure eye surgeon can do procedure without pain to you. I say this because over the years I've had eye problems with operations and procedures and even injections in one of my eyes and I did ok. Anyway back to you, I hope your vision can get better. You're in my thoughts for a positive outcome.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to read about your predicament & hope things will get better on their own.

I just picked up my new pair of glasses today & was told I have the start of cataracts during my exam last week. I think this is the beginning of old age for me. Something an aspirin won't take care of.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

At Zenni you can get any lenses tinted - that's how I got my prescription sunglasses, and it was pretty cheap, by comparison.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    At Zenni you can get any lenses tinted - that's how I got my prescription sunglasses, and it was pretty cheap, by comparison.
    There is a big difference between tinted lenses and polarized lenses. I could have gotten just tinted lenses from my eye doctor quite cheap, but that's not what I need. After cataract surgery, most people have a much heightened sensitivity to light, and therefore require a polarized lens. Even the darkest tint won't work for most - including me! Of course not - no cheap way out!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Oh Ellie, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You sure know how to write a good story!

Hope the knot goes away and doesn't need to be drained.

I wore contacts for 20 years (never had glasses before that and didn't buy glasses until 3 years later, ha haa). I quit those when I got the first dog (Sugar), at that time I also had to move to different scripts for near and far. I've had glasses since. I couldn't find what I prefer on zenni either. I use graduated lenses (not trifocals, which I would need otherwise) with tint and color changing for sunlight. Mine were close to $425. I miss the freedom of contacts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Oh Ellie, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You sure know how to write a good story!

Hope the knot goes away and doesn't need to be drained.

I wore contacts for 20 years (never had glasses before that and didn't buy glasses until 3 years later, ha haa). I quit those when I got the first dog (Sugar), at that time I also had to move to different scripts for near and far. I've had glasses since. I couldn't find what I prefer on zenni either. I use graduated lenses (not trifocals, which I would need otherwise) with tint and color changing for sunlight. Mine were close to $425. I miss the freedom of contacts, though.
    Yeah Sandi - my life is always "interesting". If it's not me, then it's The Fuzzbuttz! But nothing can beat your Willy stories!

How do the color changing lenses work for you? Years ago when they first came out, I got them, figuring I wouldn't need sunglasses. Well - they worked great if I was just outside, but when driving, they were a bust. They didn't change and get dark because of the coating that is on the car windshields, and I ended up having to get sunglasses anyway. Are they still the same, or has that issue been resolved somehow?

And I have to have the progressive lenses too - near, far, and in between. I would never be able to stand a lens that had a definite line change. I don't know how anyone deals with that. I'd probably be falling on my face from trying to move my head to get my eyes to the correct area of vision!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I use http://Goggles4u.com now because my prescription is too extreme for Zenni, Sandy, and I can get progressive glasses for under $50 - I think these were $36! It limits one's frame choices, but hey, I can live with that in order to save a few hundred bucks!
    I've Been Frosted

Ellie, I've never used sunglasses since getting these. In the car isn't any problem for me.

I'll check that out, Karen.

Oh, Ellie, I'm sorry you're having unexpected problems but wearing glasses is not the worst thing. I, as you may remember, wear them. Mine are progressive bifocals; this last pair was $800 - about $550 were the lenses alone (and I don't have a very strong prescription at all). I know there are much cheaper ones, but experience has shown this not to be the best course of action, at least for me. I'd rather pay more for much better quality. I hope the knot clears up well!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!