Thread: New treatment for depression

Hybrid View

New treatment for depression

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/14/health...html?hpt=hp_c1

Great news for those who suffer from medically untreatable depression.

For those of us who are more cynical, however, bring on the drouds and wireheads.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Fascinating, hopefully it can help some people. Depression can just be so debilitating.
    Reading it, though, I was reminded how glad I was to be completely unconscious and under sedation when they cut into my skull, so didn't feel or hear a thing!
    I've Been Frosted

"It's not that you won't be happy or that you aren't happy; it's that you can't be happy," Guyton said.
    That rang a bell.

I sent the link to a friend whose 19 year-old nephew has been horribly depressed and suicidal since last September. Nothing seems to be helping.

Thanks for the post LH.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I figured there would be several people on the forum interested in this, however, I have serious issues with the possibility of abuse, hence the placement in the doghouse.

This type of treatment was predicted by a couple of sci-fi writers, and the abuse was also predicted, hopefully the latter part of their prediction doesn't come true. Humans, as we have proven time and time again, will do damned near anything to get high.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

With any treatment there is nearly always the potential for abuse, sadly. Here's hoping it is used by ethical people only, though I know that's being too optimistic of me.
    I've Been Frosted

Reminded me of another program I watched where they placed electrodes on certain areas of a teen's brain to stop severe seizures - it worked wonders and gave the teen renewed life, amazing how far science has travelled and is still progressing forward.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----