Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm's Getting A Dental Cleaning & Several Teeth Extracted Tomorrow

Storm's Getting A Dental Cleaning & Several Teeth Extracted Tomorrow

Hi everyone. My 16 year old boy Storm will be getting his teeth cleaned and will also be getting several of his teeth extracted. His breath is horrible and he has very bad gingivitis. His small teeth have already been falling out on their own so after this procedure I don't think that he'll have very many more teeth left. Poor boy. I drop him off tomorrow morning between 7-8am and then I'll pick him up after work tomorrow. I hope that everything will go well and that he'll recover quickly. I also hope that he'll feel much better and will be able to continue to eat well. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks in advance.

Prayers for beloved Storm that all goes well with the dental work.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Keeping Storm in my thoughts and prayers. My Shadow had some teeth extracted too.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Tracy, I know how worried you must be. I so hope Storm's dental visit goes well and he will recover quickly, like Fister did.

If you see this, ask the vet about the various kinds of Anesthesia there are, and ask him to use as little as possible.

I will be keeping Storm in my thoughts and sending lots of positive vibes.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks everyone. Storm has had dentals several times before and I know he'll get the best care too. My vet will also be there today and she knows all about Storm and she specializes in cats so this helps me to not worry as much as I might otherwise. I'll update more later tonight.

He, and you, will be in our prayers!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Thormy ~ I had to have moath of my teefs removed too. I only have three left but I don't have the "bref of def" anymorth.

If you're a tuff thenior like me, you'll thill likth to eat krunchies. You'd think they'd hurth my mouth, but they donth. Onlyth problem I have is keeping waterth in my mouth. It goeth everywherth if I'm not carefull.

Cammie-Cat
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I hope things went well for Storm.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Thormy ~ I had to have moath of my teefs removed too. I only have three left but I don't have the "bref of def" anymorth.

If you're a tuff thenior like me, you'll thill likth to eat krunchies. You'd think they'd hurth my mouth, but they donth. Onlyth problem I have is keeping waterth in my mouth. It goeth everywherth if I'm not carefull.

Cammie-Cat
    How Sweet!

Storm, sweetie, we're all in your corner! Good luck honey!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thanks again everyone. When my vet called me at work around 4pm, she said that everything went well and there were no complications. He did need to have 4 teeth extracted. One of them was his upper right canine so now he's lost both of his upper canines. He now has only 16 teeth left out of 30. He had moderate tartar buildup and gingivitis with advanced tooth resorption (tooth decay).

He's on antibiotics for 1 week and pain medication as needed. He also needs to eat soft food for the next 7 days. He's doing well and he peed in the litter box as soon as he got home. He also ate some canned food and he wants more but I can't feed him too much food tonight. I know he's glad to be home. Alani thinks he smells funny and he keeps sniffing the air, places where Storm has been, and also Storm himself. He almost looked like he wanted to attack Storm so I need to watch Alani very closely. Storm wants to be wherever I go which is good so I can keep a close eye on him. Now I hope he'll heal up quickly and begin to feel better very soon. I want him to be around for many more years to come.

Glad to hear Storm is doing well. He'll be back to normal soon. Both of my orange guys get regular dental cleanings.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Glad to hear everything went smoothly and Storm is back home with you. Silly Alani, you be nice to Storm!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oscar had 7 teeth pulled late last year due to FORL. 3 - 4 teeth had already resorbed. FORL stands for Feline Ododontal Resorption Lesion. It's not regular decay - it's a lesion that starts up and eats through the enamel, dentine and then into the root of the tooth. Oscar was on Metacam and antibiotics for a week...poor baby must have been in such pain, but the vet said I could have done nothing to prevent it.

Interestingly, the gingivitis and tartar were reported as "minimal".

I know Storm will be feeling much more comfy from now on. Healing kissies to Storm!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks again everyone. Storm's doing very well and he was very hungry this morning. I fed him a lot of canned food but he wanted his dry too. I soaked it in warm water and he ate almost all of it. He also took his medicines like a good boy. He wanted to spend the night out with Alani & Blaze so now they're all friends again. Now he's resting on one of the cat beds on my bed. I know he feels so much better now. I also asked what I could do to prevent the resorption from happening but the vet tech said that it just happens in some cats so I really can't prevent it. She did give me a website to look into that has more information to help cats teeth. Here's the website: www.vohc.org.

Aw, he is such a good boy.

Happy to hear it all went well.