Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why NOT to feed a snake live food. (New foster, graphic pics)

He STILL hasn't shed, but here are some new pictures to show how much better he looks anyways.

Sadly, he's still not eating (Can you blame him?!), but my sister in law says she's going to try tube feeding him if he's not willing to eat after his shed. He's still got good muscle tone and he's not underweight, so we have some time before we need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Good to hear he's doing better! I hope he continues to improve.

His poor eyes! Dandy, please try to eat if you can. Snakemama, will he be at risk for problems with shedding again in the future? I hope the Vaseline will help too.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The eyecaps are OFF!!! After speaking with his former owner again, we've determined that he's probably closer to 12 than 8, and judging by how advanced his cataracts are he has likely been blind for years. He's thriving, though he's still afraid of his food and hasn't eaten yet. Also, the tip of his tail did drop off when he shed, but not as much as expected. My sis in law has done a great job with him in such a short time!

See all the nice scar tissue on his nose?

Marbly tongue!

Left cataract looks a little bigger than the right one.

This is a nice shot....What a handsome old man he is!

His tail tip has nice pink scar tissue too!

Just relaxing...He's easy to handle. If he starts eating again, he'd make someone a nice first snake.

He's banged up, but we're quite fond of him anyways.

Aww, poor guy. Glad to see he's making a nice recovery.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

He's sure looking better! I hope he continues to do well!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Ya know, I'm certainly not what you'd consider a snake lover... but I sure hate to see when they are in such deplorable condition. I am so happy y'all are taking such good care of him.
    It makes my heart happy to know that every critter has care.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    Ya know, I'm certainly not what you'd consider a snake lover... but I sure hate to see when they are in such deplorable condition. I am so happy y'all are taking such good care of him.
    It makes my heart happy to know that every critter has care.
    I don't think you'd consider me a snake lover, either but I don't like to see any creature not receiving the care they need. He sure looks better! The second picture from the bottom in #18-- he looks LONG! Snake, please try to eat some. You don't have to be afraid of your food anymore. Please eat, please!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Blog Entries
    He sure is looking a lot better. He is a good size snake.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Oh, poor little guy. He looks SO much better now then he did before. I'm glad he's healing up so nicely and I hope he continues the positive progress. Thank you and your sister and law for taking wonderful care of pretty Dandy.

Yep, that's why I never feed live. Just not worth the risk. I'm glad he's making a good recovery and I hope he starts eating again soon.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Good news! Ratbait is EATING on his own! After eight months without food! First, my sister tricked him by taking his water away for a few days. Once he was good and thirsty, she dunked a thawed out mouse in water and held it up to him. He opened his mouth trying to drink the water off of it, and she put the mouse in his mouth!

Next, she got a baby bird who had passed away due to falling on the hot asphalt. She had tried to save him, but even veterinary intervention wasn't enough. So he was offered to Ratbait, who ate enthusiastically. His appetite seems to have been stimulated, because after the bird he ate another mouse without being tricked! Next week he'll be offered just a mouse to see if he's interested!
    Last edited by snakemama; 08-01-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Whew, glad he is regaining his appetite and growing stronger!
    I've Been Frosted

Snakemama or anyone, can you say a little more about a snake's eating and drinking habits for me? How often does a snake eat, and what is a typical diet (other than mice-- eek!)? How often do they drink water, do you keep fresh water always available for them? I am glad he is doing better!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Snakemama or anyone, can you say a little more about a snake's eating and drinking habits for me? How often does a snake eat, and what is a typical diet (other than mice-- eek!)? How often do they drink water, do you keep fresh water always available for them? I am glad he is doing better!
    All of my snakes always have fresh water available, even though I only occasionally see any of them drink.

Most snakes when they're growing are offered food every 5-7 days. Most of my adults eat more like every 10 - 14 days. One appropriately-sized prey item is offered per feeding (appropriate size is about 1.5x the width of the snake at its widest point). My snakes eat only frozen/thawed prey, never live. Live prey can bite your snake or transmit bacteria from its gut into the snake's. There is a lot of debate as to whether snakes benefit from a varied diet or not. Certainly thousands of pet snakes grow to a ripe old age eating nothing but mice. I offer mice, quail, eggs, fish, and whatever else I can get my hands on. It's fun to me to offer tham a variety of options, though I always regret feeding them fish a few days later. STINKY!

There is, of course, a lot of variation across species lines...my indigo snake can't stretch his jaws like other species and he has a MUCH higher metabulism...so he eats 8-12 smaller prey items a week.

Lesson learned: don't startle a blind snake! He left these in my sister's hand when he snapped at her the other day. Luckily, both snake and person are fine!

Last edited by snakemama; 09-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.