Thread: oh Rusty...

oh Rusty...

ok so Rusty, my little Terrier is a reactive little dog, normally he is ok with my others, but does sometimes get on edge with them, but he is easly calmed down. my moms boy, Ripley is a differnt story, Rusty HATES him with a passion, to the point that they must NEVER EVER be in the same room, no exeptions. well a few days ago while I was at work my mom let Rusty outside for a pee, but forgot she had let him out, and she walked outside with Ripley..didnt go well! Ripley has a bite on his leg with Rusty grabbed him, and Rusty sustained a nasty rip in his muzzle where Ripley had him..just one hole of the outside, but in the inside a tear nearly into his nasal cavity. other then not drinking to the point of dehydration and my needing to force water into him with a syringe..which he does every week or 2 anyhow..he was otherise Ok. so he went to the vet yesterday and the vet gave him Clavamox and said to continue giving him water with a syringe..so gave him his first does with his supper last night....and he spent the entire night vomiting, he is refusing water..clenching his jaws tight when I try to give him any, yet he is quite dehydrated from all the vomiting, and he is hyper-reactive, remaining on edge around my other dogs and not comming off it. sigh..so we shall have to call the vet back today happy easter to us! lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Try putting some ice in his water bowl, he may llck the ice to feel better, and that'll give him some hydration! Poor you, and poor Ripley and Rusty - yowch!
    I've Been Frosted

He likely needs some pain meds in addition to the antibiotic. See what the vet suggests.

I am sorry this happened to the 2 dogs. When 2 dogs can not be together, and they are in the same home, it really is awkward.

Water doesn't set well on an empty stomach. Is he eating? Seems canned / moist food work better just now to get fluids in him, can you do that?

The cold may help numb pain. Or the water may be going in the cavity and causing sinus pain. Ask the vet about that too.

sorry, should have mentioned, he is on Metacam as well, but I already have some for another dog, so the vet didnt give us any yesterday, just said to give it to him too lol. he eats raw,so his food is always wet and he is eating so he is getting fluids, just not enough and he is vomiting everything up. he wont touch ice, I tried flavoruing water(broth) and he gave it a discusted look and tried to bury it. I am able to get water into him with a syringe, I just need both hands to pry his jaws apart to do it, where normall he just lets me open his mouth..he does the not drinking thing on a regular basis to the point of dehydration and lethargy(no rhyme or reason as to why, he likewise goes through periods of extremly exesive drinking, again nobody can figer out why, tests have turned up nothing)..not related to the injury, but he does not normally resist force fed water.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

it occured to me that I havent been here in a long time, so you guys dont know about Rustys history lol, figered perhaps I ought to outline it, as my concerns and non concerns may be confusing without context lol

-he has a heart murmur and arrhythmia
    -he has seizures that come and go, as many as 2 a month, but the vet doesnt want him on Pheno yet because he also sometimes goes for several months without any.
    -before I switched back to all/mostly Raw, he was collapsing at random..his legs would just go out from under him and not function at all for a few minutes, and his energy would go through extremes..going from no issue with 4-6 hours of exersize a day to inability to walk 15 minutes.
    -he periodiclly drinks heavily and pee's it all out..litterally, he will drink for upwards of 6 minutes straight and proceed to pee pure water
    -he regularly stops drinking entirly for days at a time..checking his hydration is a daily occurence.
    -he has difficulting swallowing dry food, he chews it up, then it just sticks in the back of his throat and builds up till he turns blue and I have to rescue him..thought it was a fluke the first time, till it happened again, I have since learned that if I need to give him dry food, I have to drown it in water first.
    -before the switch back to mostly raw, he was in and out of the vets practicly weekly with constant bloody diarrhea.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

ok, vet finally opened so we called them, she is going to prepare Rusty some cephalxin instead and we can just drop by and pick it up today and she said to give him 24 hours before starting it to clear any more of the clavamox out of his system
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to: