Thread: Guinea pig flea medication?

Guinea pig flea medication?

Since the nice weather is coming around, I want to start taking Lucky outside. I'm aware guinea pigs can get fleas and that is the last thing I want! So I was wondering if there are any flea medications out there for guinea pigs? I tried googling it but nothing came up that actually answered my question. I'm sure fellow PTers will have some suggestions!

Thanks!

RIP Sally

In my limited experience I've never seen a guinea pig with fleas, although I don't doubt that they could get them since fleas can be pretty adaptable! A parasite you're more likely to come across with guinea pigs, and other small furries, are mites. I'm not aware of any spot-on type treatments for small furries for fleas or mites (firstly the dosing would be pretty minute and secondly small furries are often kept together and could lick it off one another), but you can use a pet shampoo on infected animals. You can be prescribed specific shampoos by a vet if the infestation is serious but many over the counter shampoos will probably work - I had a rabbit several years ago that contracted mites from his bedding, and after a couple of baths (and a new lot of bedding) he was fine. Hopefully Lucky will live up his name and not pick up either - and enjoys his time outside!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    In my limited experience I've never seen a guinea pig with fleas, although I don't doubt that they could get them since fleas can be pretty adaptable! A parasite you're more likely to come across with guinea pigs, and other small furries, are mites. I'm not aware of any spot-on type treatments for small furries for fleas or mites (firstly the dosing would be pretty minute and secondly small furries are often kept together and could lick it off one another), but you can use a pet shampoo on infected animals. You can be prescribed specific shampoos by a vet if the infestation is serious but many over the counter shampoos will probably work - I had a rabbit several years ago that contracted mites from his bedding, and after a couple of baths (and a new lot of bedding) he was fine. Hopefully Lucky will live up his name and not pick up either - and enjoys his time outside!
    Thank you so much!

RIP Sally

My vet suggested using Revolution for cats 0-5lbs for my rabbits after they picked up fleas while playing in their pen in the grass. I kept them seperated until it dried of course and the fleas were gone within hours and never had an issue with them after that. I would call your vet office and see if it would be safe for your guinea pig, since it was ok for my rabbits I don't see why it wouldn't be but I suppose you never know.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Arabian View Post
    My vet suggested using Revolution for cats 0-5lbs for my rabbits after they picked up fleas while playing in their pen in the grass. I kept them seperated until it dried of course and the fleas were gone within hours and never had an issue with them after that. I would call your vet office and see if it would be safe for your guinea pig, since it was ok for my rabbits I don't see why it wouldn't be but I suppose you never know.
    Thanks! I'll ask my vet about this. Would you only use Revolution if the animal is infected or could could it be used to just prevent the problem overall?

RIP Sally

Revolution (and other medications like Frontline, Advantix, etc) is designed to be a prevention medication more than anything. Wild rabbits love to frequent my parents yard and they are well known for being infested with fleas-- that's most likely how my buns got fleas. Had it dawned on me that there was a possibility of the disgusting wild rabbits infesting my pets with blood suckers I would have talked to my vet for ideas before the infestation.

I have since moved and due to a very high hawk population in my area I never had rabbits in my yard, so I no longer feel the need to apply Revolution and have not had problems with fleas on my rabbits for a few years.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Yep revolution is great for exotics even the little ones. It's very safe and effective.
    http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol5Iss3/Beck%2087-96.pdf