Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring time is lambing time! (Pic Heavy)

How adorable, both the lambs and you!

I always love all of your threads about the animals and your studies.
    Love the little black lamb!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I really enjoyed this thread. The lambs are so cute and I didn't realize that there were so many different kinds. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us and good luck on your exams and all of your studies too.

Oh Zara, what a beautiful pictoral!!!! I am so proud of you, girl!!!

When you said you needed to lend a "hand" to a help deliver a ewe, I started laughing out loud!! I delivered a lamb while visiting my friend's farm in VT. Talk about losing your watch!!!! Messy, but the ending was happy.

You are going to make one AWESOME veterinarian, Zara!! You are passionate about what you do and you are a very smart young lady!!

Love and hugs from Me and...

Ploss's Halfway House for Homeless Felines

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

So many wonderful things in this thread-the precious baby lambs-I never can resist them, the information about the different breeds which I find very interesting and of course your professional passion-you certainly chose the right job

Wow, thank you so much for all the lovely comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Ahhh, I find this extremely interesting, of course! The lambs are precious and what an amazing experience! We never get to do anything THAT cool here, haha.
    Ah I'm sure you will at some point, Bri! It's definitely worth all the studying when you get to put it all into practice and see it make a difference. I hope your vet studies are going well.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    I went with my family to the state fair one summer. The local Future Farmers were giving a talk about sheep and lambs, with several sheep standing by for "hands on" demonstrations . I got to put the palm of my hand on a ewe 's coat and gently put my fingertips in the fleece. It was so thick, it came all the way up to my first knuckles! And soft, and plush
    Yes you're right Elyse, the fleece is surprisingly thick! There were a couple that had been shorn due to getting mites earlier on in the year, and you realise their true size - it's quite a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I'm surprised they don't just keep a database of ewes by ear tag numbers for things like age, etc. Paul looked at me and said "You'd just give them all names, and know them that way!" He knows me well!
    The ewes did have ear tags with the flock number on them and were colour co-ordinated as to the year they were born, but as far as I know they didn't detail the individual animal. I'm pretty sure you're right, though, in that a lot of farms do keep records of that kind. As for knowing them all by name, I think I'd be right with you on that one.... all 800 of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Is the all black one considered "undesirable" and so not used in the future breeding cycles?
    It's interesting that you say that, since I was recently watching a documentary on Welsh history, and apparently the old Welsh breed used to consist of black animals. Black wool wasn't favoured in the spinning industry from about 1500 right up until the 1900s, and the black animals were gradually bred out to produce the white sheep of today. So I suppose at a time she would have been undesirable! But since the British wool industry is now virtually non-existent, she'll be a future breeding animal I would imagine. The farmer was quite taken with her too so I think he may keep her on a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal
    The countryside reminded me of the vet series All Creatures Big and Small. Kay in NC
    It is indeed quite similar countryside. ACGS was set and filmed in Yorkshire, the neighbouring county to my home county of Lancashire.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    When you said you needed to lend a "hand" to a help deliver a ewe, I started laughing out loud!! I delivered a lamb while visiting my friend's farm in VT. Talk about losing your watch!!!! Messy, but the ending was happy.
    This made me laugh too - I was always careful to check I still had my watch after each delivery... even though it was on my left arm! And I agree, it's a messy and sometimes exhausting affair, but when you get the little one taking that first breath, there's no reward like it.

Zimbabwe 07/13

thank you for the pictures! I used to work at a vet that would also treat farm animals. We seldom had sheep but goats were pretty common. The babies are so friggin' adorable!

The rewards of what you are doing are PRICELESS!!

Oh, and when I was helping the ewe be born, I took my watch off BEFORE hand. I saw the movie "City Slickers" and remembered that scene.

You are so in your element, Zara. You are loving what you do and is certainly shows in that beautiful face of yours!!! Thanks for the pics.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for sharing all of these pictures with us! Those little lambs are adorable! And as others have said Zara, we're very proud of you!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thanks for the answer, Zara. Best wishes on exams.