Thread: Respiratory issues?

Respiratory issues?

I am just having one hell of a time with my cats this week! First Shadow passes and now Magic is having issues. I took her to the vet today because of respiratory issues. The vet couldn't find anything wrong. They ran blood work and chest x-rays and nothing out of the ordinary showed up. Her heart is fine from what they can tell and there is no fluid in/near her lungs. Magic was very agitated at the vets so that may have played a part in her respiratory problems. She was taking a lot of shallow breaths and not able to take any deep breaths. She had to have her mouth open in order to breathe properly. I just don't know anymore! I have no idea what could be causing this issue. I may have to take her to the 24 hr emergency vet. Right now I am monitoring her and she does seem to be doing better. She is not having the same issues as before however I am leary. She is more calm and is able to breath normally but my gut is saying there is more to this. I don't know if this is in response to Shadow's passing or perhaps something environmental? I just removed my scented oil diffusers in case that could play a role in her issues.

Any ideas?

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I know when my nose and sinuses are congested, I breathe through my mouth, did they check hers?
    I've Been Frosted

Does she normally react to Spring pollens? I think you have rain today, but it's been warmer than normal, and stuff is much further along that usual for this time of year.

Come on Magic, feel well!

Yep, they checked her nostrils and ears and there was nothing out of the ordinary. There is no sign of any bacterial infection either.

I just don't know. I can't believe all this is happening the same week! I asked if there could be any sort of connection, be it viral, environment, or something and from doing a comparison of both Shadow's x-rays and Magic's x-rays there were no similarities at all.

Right now she is resting and breathing normally from what I can tell. However, I just feel like I am missing something. I just don't know what though...

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I'm so sorry to hear this. My cat Sky has been having a lot of coughing/sneezing and now his right eye is always tearing up. He also scared me one night because he couldn't stop coughing. In the past he was diagnosed with mild asthma. Do you think that Magic might have asthma? Sky is now on a low dose of allergy medication which seems to help him a little bit but if he gets startled he'll have some of his coughing/sneezing attacks. This year has been very bad for allergies. I never have to take anything for my allergies and this year I now have to. What kind of litter do you use? If it's scented then I'd change it to an unscented kind. Sky is very sensitive to scented litter and so am I so I've been using Dr. Elsey's Unscented Precious Cat Clumping Litter for quite a while now. If I try any kind of scented litter, even those with very mild scents, I notice that Sky will have more coughing/sneezing attacks. Good luck.