Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake breeding progression thread...

Snake breeding progression thread...

My two adult corns bred yesterday! I'll be introducing them to each other twice more in the next week or so, then letting Pearl settle down with a laying box. I'm so excited! Last year Pearl produced 22 healthy eggs for her former owner. That was her first year being bred, and corn snakes usually produce more after the first year. I'm going to have my dad build me a couple of nice racks to house the babies in so that I'm not totally overwhelmed by taking care of them! Kostya has never bred before and he's a little young for it, so he wasn't too sure what to do. I took a shed skin from another male and slipped it into the "honeymoon suite", and the scent of a rival male seems to have flipped a switch in Kostya's brain!

Here's Kostya (I know the focus isn't great, but I love this photo of him anyways!

Here's Miss Pearl!

And here's the happy couple in their honeymoon suite! Click for the video. (Nothing graphic is happening here, they're just wiggling their tails and getting acquainted!!) I recommend turning the volume down because my camera for some reason puts a ringing noise into the videos...

I'll keep this thread updated with any new developments!!

Goodness, good luck on being a snaky grandma!
    I've Been Frosted

Good luck! Will be looking forward to baby snake pics!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Blog Entries
    Exciting times Hope Pearl & Kostya are successful.

How long before the eggs are laid & how many days or weeks before they hatch?
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Snakie- as you might recall, I have snakes, lots and lots of them, in my backyard. Is it true that they are 'aggressive' only when babies are around? I swear this snake was out to get me! When in the past, they seem more interested in getting away from me.

Sadly, one little one met its demise in my basement.

The first thing that came to mind when I read this was Frank Zappa's song called "Baby Snakes". My ex-husband had this on an album. It was one of those funny songs. Google or Youtube it.

Anyway, I have always thought these pink snakes were so pretty but I will worship them from afar. I am very interested in seeing the babies. Hope all goes well for the honeymooners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Snakie- as you might recall, I have snakes, lots and lots of them, in my backyard. Is it true that they are 'aggressive' only when babies are around? I swear this snake was out to get me! When in the past, they seem more interested in getting away from me.

Sadly, one little one met its demise in my basement.
    Depends on the species, though I've never heard of a snake being aggressive around its babies. Most of them don't hang around to see the babies hatch. I've heard some racers can be pretty mean (though harmless!).

Pearl and Kostya will have another date tomorrow, and maybe one more on Tuesday.

After that, I'll wait two weeks or so before giving Pearl a nesting box an taking out her big water bowl. For some reason corn snakes like to lay eggs in their water bowls, which kills the eggs, so she gets a small water bowl until the eggs arrive. How long it takes before egg laying really depends on when she ovulates. Since I don't hibernate them srtificially and it stays pretty warm here year round, that's going ot be unpredictable. Probably no more than a month though, and they DO generally shed a week to ten days before laying. Once the eggs have laid, you CAN re-introduce the male and attempt to get a second clutch. I don't plan to do this as it's hard on the female. Pearl is a pet first and I need to watch out for her health. Of course, some females will drop a second clutch no matter what, so we'll see. I'll have my hands full with the first clutch if she drops 22 like last year!

Eggs take 2-3 months-ish to hatch, depending on the temperature they're incubated at.

I can't wait to see how many babies you end up with!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Your snakes are very pretty, but I'm also one that likes to admire them from afar!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

My sis in law came by tonight and showed me how to feel for eggs, and Pearl is FULL of eggs. I'll be putting a next box in with her in the next few days, even though she's going to shed again before any eggs actually appear. I'm so excited! I needed a smile this evening after Chamomile passed away.

How exciting! We look forward to seeing pictures of the eggs, and the wee snakeys!
    I've Been Frosted

About an hour after I posted last night, I went upstairs to find that Pearl JUST had her pre-laying shed! Nest box is going in the moment I get home from work tonight! My sis in law is making it up right now, but due to Pearl's somewhat restless nature, I'm going to have to put it in her tub. (She's not really MEAN, she was just raised in a big facility where the snakes don't get much individual attention besides making sure they're healthy.)

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY There are eggs!

Pearl laid 22 eggs today - 20 are definitely good, 1 may or may not be, so it's being incubated anyways, and 1 was definitely a slug, so I fed it to Grendel. She also still has one egg stuck high up in her body. I'm concerned, but hopefully a meal and a few round in the bathtub for some exercise will push the last one out.

Now the long wait before hatching - should be a little over two months.

Of course, I was way too excited to remember to get pictures, so I'll have to get some pics of them in the incubator in the next few days.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to you & Pearl. That is a lot of babies to hatch out. In the wild where would they lay their eggs & would they guard them against prey? Could Pearl absorb the egg that hasn't come down back into her system? Are the eggs soft shelled like turtle eggs? I hope Pearl will pass her egg safely.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Oh babies on the way! Nice surprise for Mothers Day!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla