Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative people, please read! I need some help. :)

Creative people, please read! I need some help. :)

I have a wall in my living room that I intend to make into a cat hang out wall. I am going to put 12 inch wide by 36 inch long plank boards, in a staggered pattern, so that the cats can, literally, hang out on the wall. It will create more vertical space in my tiny home, and help alleviate some spacing issues.

I envision about 8 planks. Two in the middle of the wall, and three on each side of them, so that a cat can start low on either side, right off the floor (maybe not right off, but about 12 inches off), and go all the way up the wall, on either side- like stair steps. Does that make sense?

I want to create a mural behind the wall first. I want it to blend in with the planks, or connect the planks to some sort of design. I have thought of a tree look...but the planks will need to be horizontal with the wall, and that isn't really going to look tree like, but it might work. I would paint a trunk (well, I sure wouldn't, but I would hire someone to do it!!), and then the planks might have a few branches coming off them, with leaves, a bird house or three, etc.

Any other ideas? I am not very 'country' or 'woodsy', so I don't love the tree idea...but I have NO ability to think creatively!!!

Thanks in advance~

A pet trainer we really love suggested we do the same thing with planks/platforms mounted on the wall in our house. We're in the process of mapping it out. We're planning on mounting them near our laundry room door and putting one of the platforms over the doorway. I have no idea how to make a mural work behind it, but I love that idea of the whole thing. Good luck with your project!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Creativity is not something I was blessed with either, but I do have an idea.

Do you ever watch My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet? Jackson Galaxy (the cat whisperer) has had some folks do some very creative, yet simple, wall work for their cats. You might want to check out that web site and see if you can find anything there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What's the rest of the room like in terms of colors?
    I've Been Frosted

Johanna, that is an excellent plan, I'm sure they'll be thrilled and have a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas of how to do it, but check some websítes.

Can't wait to see the result!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

If you wanted a forest theme, you could do two, or three trees, depending on the shape of the wall - A half trunk on either edge and one in the middle, with intertwining branches coming off it.

You could do a "cityscape" theme, with some buildings ending at one shelf and others continuing up behind it, and the bottom shelf being the "top" of a fence - we know cats adore walking on fence tops.

You could go whimsical, with a sea-theme, and painted "kelp" supporting the shelves, and fishes behind

or abstract and just Mondrian-like blocks of color behind the shelves, and intersecting them ...

or Asian - bamboo forest with a tiger lurking between the canes

or literary - paint a bookcase with some books with cat-themed titles on the spots where the shelves don't reach ...

Need more?
    I've Been Frosted

Pom- I LOVE that show. I haven't seen him do decor, but I know he does recommend the vertical space thingy. He is partially the reason I am doing it, and I saw another couple do their whole house like that..cut out, the whole thing. I am not going to go to that extreme.

Karen- those are some GREAT ideas. I love, esp the bookcase, the fence (which Jonah and I talked about this am), the city scape....LOVE it...... I am as unmodern and as unwhimsical as they come- so nothing like that, but even the bamboo forest....LOVE it. I

The rest of the room is beige/tan walls, white shutters on the windows, a fir-place (non working)...maybe I should take some pics of the room and put it up here, just in case someone sees something that really speaks to them. Though, I prolly will choose one of the ones Karen suggested.

Just a thought

Hi!

If I were going to do the plank/board thing, I think I would pick a few colors I love and paint the wall with the colors in a pattern I would like to see for years. Then I would paint the boards to blend in the wall colors. I might try to contrast them, but knowing me, I would match the color of the wall to the board. So lets say you do three colors up and down or side to side, then paint the boards accordingly. Does this make sense? If the wall stays white and you like green, maybe paint all the boards green and some door trim the same green..... or maybe paint the boards white? I like the idea of colors added, but don't know what you like.

Johanna, don't know if this is of interest but you can buy wall murals in a kind of large wallpaper form. They have various scenes on this site.

http://www.muralsuperstore.com/index.htm

I like this one.
    http://www.muralsuperstore.com/catal...rd_4274571.htm

SAS- I don't think I do know what you mean, but I am interested in understanding it!!

Chris- oooohhhhhhh.....now you have me going in a totally different direction!

http://www.muralsuperstore.com/catalog/porch_9.jpg
    http://www.muralsuperstore.com/00282_small.jpg
    http://www.muralsuperstore.com/catal...arge_small.jpg

I think these could work. Just have to paint the shelves to match the colors where they lay against the background.

http://www.muralsuperstore.com/catal..._kat_small.jpg

or this too could work the same way.

http://www.muralsuperstore.com/catalog/UMB91025L.jpg

or even this one.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

You could always hire a local art student to do the mural of your choice, or even draw it out for you and Jonah to fill in the colors on! That way you have a one-of-a-kind wall, for certain!
    I've Been Frosted

I LOVE Karen's idea.

Maybe I'm a dork, but I think a space theme would be cool. The moon and some stars..I don't know that'd just be really pretty. Good luck and I really hope we get to see some pics when it's all finished!

you might also use carpeting.. I bet it'd be fun for the kitties to climb the wall.. lol..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Husky mom- did you fall down and crack your head? LOL...truly, they would love it, and I would go crazy!

Kittycat delight, off to view more of your links!

Thanks, guys!