Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New addition to the household

New addition to the household

So I have a new addition to my furry paw gang,a Lynx Point Siamese. I picked him up on Sunday but he still doesn't have a name yet but he is very very friendly. He seems to be about 18 months, but I think he was in an accident or abused before the rescue got him. His back end doesn't work so well, so at first I thought it might be CH like my other guys. But it turns out that he has some incontinance issues especially when he gets excited.

He has an appointment at the groomer's tomorrow because he has a difficult time cleaning himself and needs to be shaved down because he is dirty. Then we are going to the white coats to see if there is anything that can be done about the incontinance. But in the mean time any advice on cat diapers would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on the new addition, it will be interesting to see what the vet says!
    I've Been Frosted

How wonderful that you have taken in this special needs cat. I hope his visit to the vet goes well.

I have a diaper cat called Zazesh. Also abused, though in his case through severe neglect (his back legs were fused together through years worth of matting and he had to drag his bag end around leading to muscle atrophy in his rear legs) he has gone on to develop a neuromuscular disorder which leaves him generally unaware of when he eliminates (there may have been some brain damage; he operates on a fairly basic level). He isn't paralyzed and he isn't incontinent, though, because I believe that means a cat needs to be expressed in order to empty the bladder fully. I was considering taking in two more diaper cats from the shelter, but in their case there is true incontinence and they have to be expressed for poop and pee. That takes time, which I would have in the evening but not in the mornings. Visit the handicapped pets website (unless you have found it already) and you will find lots of advice from extremely experienced people:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/

After much trial and error, and lots of difficulty in dealing with a very cranky cat who will bite, I came up with the following method of diapering. Zazesh is thin so I use Pampers for newborns. I cut a + just below the printed band on the back end, in fact the top of the + goes into the print. His tail is shaved and he has a sani shave at his hind end (he's a Himalayan mix so medium long-hair). After I rinse him in slowly running lukewarm water under the sink tap, I dry him off and step into the bathtub with him. I place him facing my rear so I'm looking down on his rear and hold him at his middle with my legs. I slide his tail through the + of the diaper, wrap each end round and seal. Then I run my fingers under on both sides to make sure it isn't too tight and is comfortable. Males are far less likely to develop urinary tract infections than females when they are diapered all the time. I've sometimes put Zazesh in a room with a washable floor to give his hind end time to "breathe" but he ends up falling into his mess repeatedly, which means a full bucket bath and far more stress.

Photos, please, and an update as soon as he's seen the vet.

When you rinse him off, be prepared for him to poop also because this is a method some use to express the colon.

Right now he is at the groomer's. The rescue group was overwhelmed with his care, so he is really matted. I figured that I would get him cleaned up first and then we go to the vet this evening. But I will keep you posted

We can hardly wait to see your new addition , we bet that he is quite a Handsome fellow
    God bless you for taking a Cat who noone else wants, and that you have such a big heart.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

He is a Siamese with big blue eyes. So he is home from the groomer right now and looks (and smells) a lot better. We have a vet appointment today, and we will just go from there.

But thank you for the advice and wishes, I appreciate it

I'm sure he's feeling better now that he is clean, but he may not like a vet visit. Hope it goes well!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    We can hardly wait to see your new addition, we bet that he is quite a Handsome fellow
    God bless you for taking a Cat who no one else wants, and that you have such a big heart.

Agree, agree, agree!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Agree, agree, agree!
    Me too, me too, me too!!!

God bless you and the kitty. Here's hoping the vet appointment goes well.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Well we just got back from the vet and fed everyone. They are not sure what the problem is but it looks like he might be missing one of his vertebra. They gave me the names of a couple of neurologists in the area. But in the mean time, it looks like I will be using some type of diaper. Please keep this little guy in your prayers, he has lost almost 4 lbs (he only weighed 8.8 lbs last time he was in the vet).

Awww, poor baby! Glad he is with YOU now, where he'll get love and all the care - even diapers - he needs.
    I've Been Frosted

A million blessings to you for taking on this poor baby. I hope it all works out. You are a brave soul!

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    Well we just got back from the vet and fed everyone. They are not sure what the problem is but it looks like he might be missing one of his vertebra. They gave me the names of a couple of neurologists in the area. But in the mean time, it looks like I will be using some type of diaper. Please keep this little guy in your prayers, he has lost almost 4 lbs (he only weighed 8.8 lbs last time he was in the vet).
    Big, big prayers for the lynx kitty! Fingers and paws crossed!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I am sending good thoughts and prayers up for a very special kitty and his very special new family!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Prayers and loving good wishes are being sent your way. More blessings to kitty and you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery