Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much vacation do you take?

I get 13 days and don't go anywhere. I use them to just have the day off at home

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    It does sound very little. The source is someone called Grant Thornton.
    Maybe it averages in all those of us who are self-employed so don't get/take vacation. That'd bring the average right down, just like getting a "zero" on a test for cheating did to kids' grades in high school!
    I've Been Frosted

After 30 years at my job, I now have 25 vacation days. Since I hate to travel, I take extended weekends when I feel I need the time off and catch up with stuff at home.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I'm actually on vacation right now. Since the 4th of July fell on a Wed. and we also became very slow at work, I decided to take Thurs. & Fri. off too. I also decided to take the whole next week off. I don't travel either so it's just a staycation. Now I can stay home and enjoy my 3 new kittens and other cats. It's going to be hard going back to work on Monday.

There was an editorial in the Chicago Tribune (or maybe a letter to the editor) about a Chicago teacher who retired with 325 unused sick days. In Illinois, by law you get paid for accrued but unused sick time. That's like an extra 11 months pay.

I've rarely taken my entire two weeks because of my cat, and because of having to arrange for coverage at the different places I've worked when I worked in the hospital I was hourly and the time accrued faster, so I did take it. I used up a lot of vacation days when I was in grad school, too.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    There was an editorial in the Chicago Tribune (or maybe a letter to the editor) about a Chicago teacher who retired with 325 unused sick days. In Illinois, by law you get paid for accrued but unused sick time. That's like an extra 11 months pay.

I've rarely taken my entire two weeks because of my cat, and because of having to arrange for coverage at the different places I've worked when I worked in the hospital I was hourly and the time accrued faster, so I did take it. I used up a lot of vacation days when I was in grad school, too.
    Actually teachers work 180-200 days per year. So he had almost 2 years of vacation days. If we have unused sick days, these are not reimbursed at daily pay. In our state, it's usually $10 -15 per unused day. Some counties have a 90 limit. Pay you for those days over 90 days. Others have unlimited days. Don't know about Chicago or Illinois.

There are studies saying Americans work to hard at everything and don't relax enough. My mother could turn a vacation into a job. I like doing both. It's fun to visit places; it's also nice to sit back and watch the grass grow.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Actually teachers work 180-200 days per year. So he had almost 2 years of vacation days. If we have unused sick days, these are not reimbursed at daily pay. In our state, it's usually $10 -15 per unused day. Some counties have a 90 limit. Pay you for those days over 90 days. Others have unlimited days. Don't know about Chicago or Illinois.

There are studies saying Americans work to hard at everything and don't relax enough. My mother could turn a vacation into a job. I like doing both. It's fun to visit places; it's also nice to sit back and watch the grass grow.
    Open mouth and insert foot, Elyse! I'm so sorry for the inconsiderate comment!

In the past, when I've had a special vacation planned I've used more of my vacation allotment. not so much the past few years, though. It seemed different (more important to get time away from work, somehow) when I was rotating shifts and working a lot of weekends.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I just booked a two week trip to Costa Rica! Going to the Carribbean side this time. Only 12 of those days will actually be in CR...we leave September 1, arrive late on September 2, and head for home on September 15. It's an extremely long day on the 15th, but we get home in one day, that's never happened before when we've travelled. We always have to overnight somewhere both directions! Bonus....I got the ticket with aeroplan points...that's never happened before either. They never have seats on the dates I want, for the places I want!

Now I have 1000 other things to organize so we can actually get on the plane! I never wait this long to book...I am a planner! Took awhile to find a dog/cat/house sitter this time!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Vacation? What's that?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery