Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much vacation do you take?

Pomtzu, when you're unemployed in Denmark, you have to be available at all times for the Jobcenter, and apply for at least two jobs a week. Also you have to go for meetings with the jobcenter and the Union now and again. Also, all unemployed have to attend a kind of "jobseeking course" every day for 5 hours. A waste of time! However, even the government has realized that and is now changing those rules.

If you are unemployed, the smartest thing is to be a member of a Union... you pay a certain amount every month and when you're fired, you get up to 90% of what you earned the last three months - for two years.

Btw, you get the same amount when you take your vacation.

However, if you're on Social benefit, you get a lot less, and until recently (I think), you are/were not allowed to travel outside the country.

I'm really sleepy, Fister is waking me up several times every night, so I'll reply to more questions tomorrow.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

When you are self-employed, there's no such thing as a "vacation" or work doesn't get done! But when I worked for the other companies, I got 2-3 weeks of vacation a year, the last company I worked at, it was given begrudgingly, but I took the two weeks anyway, just never consecutively. Small companies can have odd rules about it!
    I've Been Frosted

3. Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    That table may be a bit skewed. In general, as far as I know, many American companies START with two weeks (10 days) vacation and 3 personal days.
    Not exactly. There is no law in the United States requiring employers to offer paid (or unpaid!) vacation or holidays.

In fact, one in four workers in the private sector (non-government) gets no paid time off. No, none.

Those folks frying your burger at McDonald's, serving your meal at the local diner, ringing up your sale at Walmart most likely get no paid vacation. (That does not mean they cannot take time off - just not paid for it.) And probably no paid holidays as well.

Most medium to large employers do offer vacation - one or two weeks to start - but often that cannot be taken until the second year.

And people not taking vacation is a problem for many employers. It must be carried on the books as a liability. Some states (California is one) do not allow "use it or lose it" vacation policies. But only a handful of states. Many employees stockpile vacation - where they can - or are afraid to take it for fear of annoying the boss. Taking two weeks at as stretch has become very rare.

The basic holidays are eight per year (New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After, Christmas Day.) There is no law requiring an employer to give any of these days off - with or without pay. NOr to pay you extra if you work them.

So if your employer gives you paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time...be sure and thank them. They do it because they want to - not because they have to!

My DH gets PTO (like Taz_Zoee). They get 15 days a year - it can be sick days, vacation days, whatever. My office is way better. I've been there 9 years and I'm at the highest vacation "rank" which is 192 hours (24 days)... plus every pay period you earn 1.34 hours of sick time. The sick time is not much at all... but the vacation time makes up for it.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I get so many hours of PTO a year. I think I have 250 something right now...they roll over from previous years though I think sometimes some are lost. But my PTO is our hourly rate (we make hourly or commission whichever is higher) so it's only like $7.50 an hour. I definitely make more than that (unless its really slow) with commission, so, while I do get paid to take time off it is not the same pay I would make working if that makes sense. So taking a week off "just to use hours" I would generally loose money as I would not be making the same amount as if I was at work. But it sure is nice to take a week off and get paid while I'm not there. I don't necessarily keep track of how many hours I use but if I want to take a trip I take it and I use my hours. I like to have some on hand because we do not have a separate sick leave if I want to get paid while I had to take time off for a surgery or something I would have to use my PTO.

I am not really sure, but I think my hubby has as much vacation days as in The Netherlands!
    But........ from July on he will have as much vacation as he chooses, because........................................... ....
    he will be retired as from July 1st !!! Yīppie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

At my old job after 18yrs I was up to 5 weeks vac, 6 sick. I started there in 89, some years later they changed it to no more than 4 weeks but if you were hired before a certain year you still got the 5th week after the 15 years. 6 sick days and you got paid if you didn't use them . Paid holidays and the company was closed from Christmas Eve to New Years -PAID.
    So I think it ended up being about 16 paid holidays. Unfortunately they moved out of the state
    New company:
    Right now after 4 years this month I just got 4 more days added which brings me up to 14 days vac and 8 sick.
    But now they changed the sick day policy that is use it or lose it.

Right now with 5 cats I cant really go away so I stay around the house

Wow, it's really different over there... huge variations from one company to another, and from one state to another. I would have thought there was a law stating the minimum/maximum days of vacation for all Americans. Well, at least most of you get at least 2 weeks of vacation. In my opnion that's not enough to wind down, but I guess with the financial crisis we have, this is not the time to fight for more.

I found this that shows the development over the years:

1919 First demands for holiday entitlement made in connection with collective bargaining.
    1920s Workers in a few factories obtain the right to three days' annual leave.
    1931 Half of the members of trade unions affiliated to LO (then DsF) obtain one week's paid annual leave in connection with the conclusion of new collective agreements.
    1936 In connection with new agreements, a larger share of workers obtain a right to summer holiday with pay.
    1938 The Holiday Act gives all employees a right to two weeks' annual leave.
    1952 A third week of annual leave is introduced with effect from 1953 in connection with the conclusion of collective agreements.
    1971 A fourth week of annual leave is introduced with effect from 1973.
    1979 A fifth week of annual leave is introduced.
    1995 A new - and more flexible - holiday agreement concluded in the public sector is overruled by the Ministry of Labour, but the following year this leads to deliberations concerning a revision of the Holiday Act.
    1998 Two special holidays per year are introduced in connection with the government intervention in the dispute in the private sector bargaining area covered by DA/LO (DK9805168F).
    1999 Three special holidays per year are introduced in the agreements concluded in various sectors, including the public sector, to be implemented in the course of the period up to 2002 (DK9903114F).
    Spring 2000 Five special holidays per year are introduced in the agreements in the private sector bargaining area covered by DA/LO, to be implemented during the period up to 2003. The sixth week of annual leave is thus a reality - without being holiday in the sense of the Holiday Act.
    May 2000 New Holiday Act is passed. It introduces a higher degree of flexibility, in the form of the possibility to enter into agreements to transfer one week of annual leave to the following holiday year.

A little more info: http://www.working-in-denmark.com/La...ions-1036.aspx

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    With the economy and job market what it is now in the U.S, a lot of people will take whatever job they can find, regardless of the benefits. Some 10-15 years ago, you could shop around and be somewhat choosy, and take a job not only based on salary, but what benefits it had to offer. I wasn't overly happy with my job and I had considered finding a job elsewhere for more money, but that also involved finding a job with good benefits and within reasonable travel distance. I made decent money where I was, had great benefits, and only had to drive about 7 minutes to get there. I had job offers with more money, but traveling an hour each way would have defeated the purpose, and in the end, I would be losing, considering gas prices, tolls, wear and tear on my car, so it wasn't worth a change. And I sure wouldn't start a new job with 4 weeks vacation either. Money is a short term motivator in a lot of instances, and you really have to weigh all the options. I hope that somehow this economy will turn around in time for my grandkids to not have the struggle that so many people have today.

Sorry - I got a little off topic.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    With the economy and job market what it is now in the U.S, a lot of people will take whatever job they can find, regardless of the benefits.
    I certainly would, too! It just seems hopeless to even get a shit job. When 30 year olds, fresh from University can't get jobs, how are we around sixty ever going to get one.

In my opinion, greed has contributed a lot to the mess we're in now. Still, some who screw up, still get their million $$ bonuses.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

In my opinion, greed has contributed a lot to the mess we're in now. Still, some who screw up, still get their million $$ bonuses.
    Yup - and the government bails their company out too. All of this when thousands of people are losing their homes to foreclosure and can barely feed their families. I'm glad I'm old!!! At least I don't have to worry about just starting out in life, and facing a lifetime of who know what anymore. Guess I never really had it so bad afterall.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

As much as possible! The only way to keep my hubby from going back to work early is to take him out of the country! We just got back from Honduras a couple weeks ago! Stuart is self-employed. There are no paid breaks ever. Even in Honduras, he was working at least an hour a day by email!

I have a very generous benefit package at work. I get 5 weeks of paid holiday time a year that can be banked indefinately. My boss encourages us to use it regularly. Every five years I get an extra week of "long service leave". It has to be used before I'm elegible for the next one.

I earn a day and a half a month of sick leave, which can also be banked. I currently have 6 months of sick leave banked. I rarely use it! I used two weeks last year; one after surgery to fix my wrist and another after I had laser surgery on my eyes.

I also have "special leave". It's kinda like personal leave for reasons other than illness. I get six days a year, but can bank up to 30 days of it which I have. People with kids use it way more than I do. I've only ever used it to attend funerals or take care of Stuart when he was injured.

I have a week booked off in May. Going to Saskatchewan to visit my family and meet my newest niece, who is due to arrive May 9. I have two weeks booked in September...I'd like to spend my 40th birthday on a beach somewhere. Gotta find a dogsitter for that before I book anything though! May dogsitter is already arranged.

I'm also doing a deferred salary plan at work. For the next five years, my employer witholds part of my salary and banks it. I get the 6th year off with pay. I could have done a shorter time period of banking, but this way it's less of a financial impact and in five years it will much much easier to find a critter sitter! I have a count down app on my phone..it's 1963 days from today until I'm off!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    As much as possible! The only way to keep my hubby from going back to work early is to take him out of the country! We just got back from Honduras a couple weeks ago! Stuart is self-employed. There are no paid breaks ever. Even in Honduras, he was working at least an hour a day by email!

I have a very generous benefit package at work. I get 5 weeks of paid holiday time a year that can be banked indefinately. My boss encourages us to use it regularly. Every five years I get an extra week of "long service leave". It has to be used before I'm elegible for the next one.

I earn a day and a half a month of sick leave, which can also be banked. I currently have 6 months of sick leave banked. I rarely use it! I used two weeks last year; one after surgery to fix my wrist and another after I had laser surgery on my eyes.

I also have "special leave". It's kinda like personal leave for reasons other than illness. I get six days a year, but can bank up to 30 days of it which I have. People with kids use it way more than I do. I've only ever used it to attend funerals or take care of Stuart when he was injured.

I have a week booked off in May. Going to Saskatchewan to visit my family and meet my newest niece, who is due to arrive May 9. I have two weeks booked in September...I'd like to spend my 40th birthday on a beach somewhere. Gotta find a dogsitter for that before I book anything though! May dogsitter is already arranged.

I'm also doing a deferred salary plan at work. For the next five years, my employer witholds part of my salary and banks it. I get the 6th year off with pay. I could have done a shorter time period of banking, but this way it's less of a financial impact and in five years it will much much easier to find a critter sitter! I have a count down app on my phone..it's 1963 days from today until I'm off!

I'm curious as to how you find a dog sitter for 16+ dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I'm curious as to how you find a dog sitter for 16+ dogs?
    Well, it's not easy, but first and probably most importantly, I pay and pay well! Critter care is always a big part of our holiday budgeting! I'm always a bit amazed that anyone will agree to take this place on! Even more amazed that anyone agrees twice and are still my friends after!

I have paid airfare to bring a friend here to dogsit. She used to live here so it's like a paid visit for her. I'm hoping she'll be able to come again in September. I provide a car and gas card for non-local dogsitters. Locals can use the vehicle too, especially if they have to take a dog to the vet and want to avoid getting fur in their own car!

I always leave the fridge fully stocked along with a beer fridge full of whatever their drink of choice may be! I leave cash for supplies and a gift card to a gas station if the dogsitter lives in town normally. I make arrangements with both my vets so that the sitter can take any animal in any time without worrying about the bill. I made a book with a page for each animal, includes their picture, age, any medications they take and a description of their personality and habits. It has saved a few people from freaking out when they can't touch Delta or when Felicia comes limping through the room(her limp is permanent and doesn't bother her at all, but at first glance she looks like her leg is broken!). Also has a list of the basic chores that have to be done every day and a list of emergency phone numbers.

We have satelitte tv, wireless internet and a hot tub too! I also bring back presents from wherever we go!

We had the best dogsitter ever for awhile, but he went back to university down south. I tried to convince him to get his Master's degree on line, but he wouldn't go for it! He's coming back in May for a couple months. He's staying here while I go to see my family. I think he's more excited about hanging out here than I am about my new niece! I need to find a new Todd. It was very nice to be able to go away for even for a night and have someone we trusted completely stay here.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I get 4 weeks paid vacation a year, after 15 years with the company. (I'll have 20 years this coming November) At 21 years, I get 5 weeks. We also get our birthday paid which we have to take in our birthday month or lose it. I can't save days into the next year, but can save some of them and take the money at the end of the year. I usually don't take all of my vacation. The last two years saving some days came in handy towards the end of the year when I was off on sick leave. The company will let you fill in blank spots left by sick pay (waiting week) and let you take one vacation day a week as 'pay only' to cover your weekly health insurance costs.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla