Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn got attacked by a muskrat (warning graphic pics)

Autumn got attacked by a muskrat (warning graphic pics)

I live in a rural apartment right outside an area of wetland and last night I was coming home from work and Autumn was with me although offleash because she heels well and doesn't even bother to go after the rabbits we see every night. She stopped to go to the bathroom and a muskrat came out of the bushes near her and jumped her. I ran up and yelled at it and it turned and came after me but I swung my lunch container at it and kicked it and it ran off without biting me. Don't worry, I don't think I connected hard with it because it was so hard to even see it in the dark. Autumn has two good puncture wounds where it bit her on her head that bled pretty good last night but she doesn't even seem to notice. I tossed and turned all night and this morning I called the vet and they said she doesn't need a rabies booster or anything and to clean it with peroxide and watch for signs of infection. I also called my apartment manager and he said he was going to call the city and see if they can get a trapper in the wetland park property since its city-owned. They already have a trapper who does the dog park down the road because dogs have gotten chewed by muskrats there a few years ago.

She's not this fat, she's just puffed up from resisting getting in the bathtub to have her head washed.

This is what it looks like cleaned up this morning now that its not bleeding. Not so bad but I nearly had a heart attack last night.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

OMG poor Autumn! I would have tossed and turned all night too. She looks like she will be okay though. I don't even know what a Muskrat looks like. Will google it. Hope she heals well. She is a pretty pupper.

That is scary stuff when your sweeties get attached and you also! Glad she's doing ok. I've had my dog attacked by another dog and that scared the life out of me.

Poor girl . I hope she has a quick and easy recovery. It doesn't look as bad now that it's cleaned up, so hopefully she will be fine.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Poor Autumn. Thankfully she is up to date on her rabies, and that you didn't get bitten.

She's such a pretty girl. Love those curly ears. Give her a smooch from me please.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I think the vet should give me a rabies vaccination too. I don't want it.

I do have to say though, I'm the one overstressed from the whole ordeal. Autumn isn't acting hurt at all and she wanted to rub her head on the couch last night after I rinsed it with water. She's such a moron she sat after the thing bit her, though she did yipe. That's what she does at the dog park around too many excitable dogs- she's sits to diffuse the situation. Here I was yelling at this thing to get away and she didn't even run from it.
    Last edited by IRescue452; 03-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Will the muskrat that gets caught tested for rabies? It seems rather odd, but it may be nesting season, and Autumn somehow got too close to the nest so they were defending the area.
    I've Been Frosted

Yikes! Like Karen, I was thinking that muskrat must be rabid to be like this.

Puncture wounds hurt like heck! And you have to watch as they heal, they will heal from the top down, trapping in any infection. You want them to heal bottom up. I'm surprised the vet didn't ask you to take her in.

Heal up, Autumn. And you feel better, too, Mom.

Yikes! Heal quickly Autumn.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Like Freedom, I am very surprised you were not asked to come in immediately. Puncture wounds are horrible, and need to be flushed out, and frankly, I don't think that is something most of us can do with just water. I would take her in to another vet and have it flushed really well with saline, and probably put on some antibiotics, just in case.

Poor Autumn, and poor you!

My husband immediately said two things... 1) muskrats are mean and 2) it probably had babies in the bush and felt threatened.

I hope Autumn feels better and has no lasting effects from this attack! Gentle (hugs) to you and Autumn!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

That would be terrifying! I'm glad she's ok!

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Owww!!! That looks so painful! Poor pup! I would have a severe panic attack if I saw that much blood on my dog's head.

Muskrats are very protective of their young, otherwise they are usually pretty docile and afraid of other animals. The chance of it having rabies is very, very rare as well so don't fret about that too much.

Awww, Autumn! I hope the puncture heals very soon!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Autumn has a vet appointment right before I go to work today and I'll ask again about antibiotics, this time I'll ask the vet and not the receptionist. I really don't think the thing had rabies now that I think of it, considering it had plenty of time to get in more bites and it ran away once it was outnumbered. These are just mean creatures and since they hang around the dog park pond down the road I suppose they are used to dogs. Maybe it was pregnant but theres no babies in the bushes it came out of.