Thread: Introducing a kitten to an adult cat

Introducing a kitten to an adult cat

Ok our kitten will be coming home at 10 weeks (she is 8 weeks right now)
    And I bought some essentials to her arrival. like another kitty litter box, food dish, and some toys .
    Now for the next step.. How to properly introduce a kitten to our adult cat..
    Raven is spayed, but she has had kittens in the past. Will that make a difference for her accepting a new kitten?
    I am deworming and vet checking the kitten before we introduce them.

I'm welcoming some advise
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Here's what I do when introducing a new cat/kitten to the household. We have a spare bedroom that I can keep the newbie in. Raven will know there is another cat in the house. They will smell each other under the door. If possible, put Raven in a bathroom or another bedroom and let the kitten wander the house without Raven around.
    Depending on how well this goes....we put up a baby gate across the door to the newbies room. That lasted a couple days before the kitten (both Paizly and Jax) learned they could jump the gate. But by that time things were fine. Just keep a close eye on everyone. We were also introducing two dogs to the kitten as well.

Take this all as slow as needed. Sometimes it can take a day or two, sometimes a week or two. Just depends on the cats.

Of course, who am I to give advice? Paizly still hisses and growls at Jax and Jax has been here for almost 2 years.

I can't wait to see pictures of the kitten.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Cindy, I couldn't have said it better! That is what I do as well, when I (used to) bring in another kitten. Some took 2 to 3 weeks, and no it was not necessarily the last ones to arrive, when I had a lot here. It is just quirky,and up to them.

Oh, you will need to have a water squirt bottle handy for about the time you do allow them out together, and for a few days after that. Remember, once you do have them both out, start with this only when you are home and can observe. May need to do that for a few days as well.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Again Cindy you said it all.
    I am lucky that My Found Hotel Cats are very accepting Josephine and the resident Cats hit it off right away, but Josephine was about 6 moths old so she had experience with Other Cats and was not as wild a a young Kitten
    We pray that they are soon playing together!!!
    Last edited by catmandu; 03-12-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks for the input..
    We don't have a spare room, BUT I will just use the bathroom as the "spare room".. hopefully my son wont leave the door open.. If that fails I will put new kitten in our bedroom and hopefully Raven will adjust. New kitten is really used to cats, because my brother has three... all unrelated, so I think it'll more so be Raven with the "issue".. I'm sure she will get over it tho, she was a mama before so maybe the instinct to snuggle the baby will kick in
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I wouldn't worry too much if your son leaves the bathroom door open. One of them will probably just hide, possibly the older cat.

First order of business - FELIWAY SPRAY!!!! Spray the room. Leave the carrier in the middle so they can both see and smell each other. Wipe towels down, one for each to smell. There will be hissing. That's normal. Put new kitty in bathroom. They'll smell each other under the door and play footsy.

I have two baby gates I use stacked in the doorway. Eventually, you just take down the gates, keep a spray bottle of water and a spray can of Feliway handy AT ALL TIMES!!!! As long as there's no blood shed, just let them work it out. Kittens are far easier to incorporate into a household than two older cats.

Always feed them together, as it will remind them of a happy experience. Food is a wonderful motivator. That's what brought out Lucy and Puff.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!