Thread: Advice - on MOUTHING - to 'soft mouthing'..

Advice - on MOUTHING - to 'soft mouthing'..

I'm looking for the best way to encourage Ryder who is at 10 weeks, doing very well with everything else (potty-training, sleeping in crate, etc.) except biting. He doesn't seem to grasp the concept that he can't go for my hands/fingers/arms/legs/feet. I say "NO!" every time, in whatever tone I can use, even I go my loudest but it doesn't phase him. BUT if he hears my boyfriend say "NO!" he will stop. Is it because his voice is deeper and more 'force' into it enough that he knows he isn't supposed to do that? I would like to be able to say that to Ryder and he would 'understand'.. is there a way? I've owned different type of dogs, so this is my first Labrador. I've been also saying "Kiss!" every time he licks my face or hand. I will praise, "GOOD BOY!".. I have tried "holding his bottom jaw, holding down where he can't 'bite', I've pinched his cheek, he will yelp/whine, but he will continue, he's quite persistent. I've walked away and left him alone, he will stop, find something else to play with, or sleep. He will either sleep on kitchen floor or go in crate by himself. Also, if I have a toy with me, if he 'bites' my hand, etc. I will say "NO!" and put a toy in his mouth and he will take it and I will say "GOOD TOY!" in a happy tone. Any advice, let me know. I'm willing to hear it out and try something different if you think I need to do so. I do understand that he is still a baby but he is growing up so fast and I feel like I need to start getting this figured out now before he hits 12-16 weeks.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

We have a handout that is included when people adopt dogs at the shelter. I'm going to try to attach it for you. I hope it has some pointers for you. It sounds like you are already doing some of the things suggested, but maybe there are some new ideas for you.
    Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

if you have a toy and then he bites.. you say no THEN give him the toy.. that's praising him for biting you..
    keep the toy.. then wait till he´s settled in something else.. then give the toy.. don't do it as soon as he releases your hand.. (in his mind it might be bite, release, toy)
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Cindi's attachment is great, that is just what I would say to do as well. AND Isabel is correct, you are currently rewarding the biting, so stop the toy exchange.

Strange. I had someone tell me that suggestion but I can't remember who it was. *shrug* I guess it's a bad idea then. BUT I will try that, but not when he does decide to bite my hand hard. That's a big no no. I will get up and walk away. Like I said, he'll just move on and find something else to chew on and play with or sleep. I do have always have treats by me as well a small toy in my pocket when this happens.

Also, thanks Taz! Appreciate it big time. I'll check it out and see what I can do along with what I've been doing so far.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I found saying "ouch!" and pulling away/stop playing worked well with Clover. Our trainer suggested it.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

No bites worked for me

When Prue was a pup I would say "no bites" in a deep and authoritative voice and she got the idea quickly. My favorite and smartest lesson for her was "leave it"..... She is still really good with it to this day. I often ask her what she has.... and she will stop chewing and look up at me until I say ok. I sometimes just ask her to leave it, then I take it away if it is something she shouldn't have (i.e. a broken toy etc.).....

Puppies usually outgrow the biting stage once they get over the chew on everything stage. Puppies are cute, but boy they are work early on. I love it that Prue is older now and doesn't need as much supervision.

My biggest complaint now is that I cannot leave her off leash without her running around the neighborhood. Today, I put her on a 50 foot lead so that she could romp in the snow without me having to be there with her.

More pics of you puppy, please. If you are going to ask for our advice, you need to give us a photo too! Kinda like payment for services.