Thread: Has anyone's cat had surgery for bladder stones? Updated

Has anyone's cat had surgery for bladder stones? Updated

Well, poor Pippin is going to need surgery because he has some rather large bladder stones they discovered via ultrasound. I had no idea - I took him in to get checked because I caught him peeing on the carpet, poor thing probably has had pain for a while but didn't give any other indication of it. I wish he didn't have to have surgery but if he doesn't the stones could cause a blockage. Has anyone else had cats who had this kind of surgery?

He is going in on Monday and staying overnight. They will remove the stones and analyze them so they know what kind of special diet he will need. If you could spare any good thoughts, I would appreciate it!

Here's an older picture of him:

Last edited by Pembroke_Corgi; 03-06-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: title change

Awww, he'll be in our prayers that everything goes well. Glad he'll have the surgery, I had a human friend who had them, and she later told me passing one hurt MORE than childbirth!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers and good thoughts and healing energies for Pippin. May the surgery go well and he be feeling much better very soon.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Yes, my boy Diego just had a large bladder stone removed. He's been just a lovey boy since. Must be feeling so much better. He went recently for his first pee in a cup test and failed so we are trying the special diet to see if it will reduce the crystals he still has. Best of luck to you and Pippin. I'm sure he will do just fine. But he'll have a naked tummy for a while!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Big prayers for Pippin from Cassie and me
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh Pippin! You will feel better soon.

No personal experience, but bichons are prone to stones and several have had to have surgery. Do be sure to stick with the special diet after the fact. My friend has Mattie, who had the surgery. Well, the special diet was made by Science Diet, not the best company or food. So she decided to research and control things on her own. 5 months latter, poor Mattie had to have the surgery AGAIN! Now, my friend keeps strictly to the vet prescribed diet. She takes in a urine sample once a month so any crystals can be found BEFORE they develop into stones. She did ask the doc to use the Royal Canin prescription food rather than the Science Diet, but he explained why Mattie couldn't use that one. Whew what a time that was!

Yes , my Abby has had surgery for bladder stones a few years ago. She had what can be described as the x-ray looked like a "nest full of stones" in her bladder. I found blood drops on the floor, then I took her in immediately for an exam and that is when the stones were descovered. She was shaved on her belly and had a long surgical cut about 4 inches or so. I have pictures somewhere , If I find them , I will post them. She recovered very well after. She also had real stitches, not glued together. She now has to eat a prescription kibble food also. Pippen will be just fine
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

Thank you for all the advice and kind words! I know Pippin will be ok. It's just scary whenever a pet needs surgery, and I think it's worse for cats. One of our dogs Marta has had two knee surgeries and amazingly, still loves going to the vet just because she gets extra attention and gets to have new people petting her! Pippin will hate being there overnight but I know he will be glad to get home and hopefully will recover very quickly. I will update on Tuesday when he is home again.

Pippin came home this afternoon and he is so glad to be back. The other cats were very happy to see him too, they were acting kind of listless with him gone since he is their surrogate mommy. I'm going to keep him in a bedroom for at least few days to recover though, but I will probably give the other two cats "visiting times."

The vet said he had a deformity in his bladder they corrected (I guess something that develops in the uterus but should have naturally gone away) that could have been contributing to his issue but they won't know for sure until the bladder stones themselves are analyzed. Depending on the results, he may need a specialized diet.

Just wanted to update you that he is doing very well! I'm glad he's home again.

Thanks for the update, glad everything went well!
    I've Been Frosted