Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitty kidney transplant

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Surgery was a success.

Walter is already producing urine out of Hero Donor Cat Orville/Gizmo's donated kidney.

Both are recovering well.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    That's truly wonderful news. I'm very pleased for the family and for Walter, and for the donor cat who is getting a new home. It's also wonderful that IMOM has been able to keep going with 99% of people feeling the economic pinch.

I don't understand the concern for a donor cat, beyond worrying that he will do well with the surgery. The cats selected to be donors are all shelter cats and let's remember that 70% of all cats in shelters end up being euthanized. It's true we can't give a cat the choice of dying or losing a kidney and being adopted, but I know what my choice would be as a human. My concern for animals being used without choice is for those in labs being used in their thousands for testing so we can have the latest glue, or caulk, or injectable foam insulation, or medication, or cleaning product.

Just my take on this.
    I hope I'm misunderstanding you. You seem to have no concern for the donor cat - am I reading that right. It's all right with you if he remains a shelter cat and perhaps one day is euthanized? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I hope I'm misunderstanding you. You seem to have no concern for the donor cat - am I reading that right. It's all right with you if he remains a shelter cat and perhaps one day is euthanized? Please tell me I'm wrong.
    You must not have read everything - the donor cat is being adopted by the recipient cat's family, as has happened before.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    You must not have read everything - the donor cat is being adopted by the recipient cat's family, as has happened before.
    I did read everything. My question was about these remarks -

I don't understand the concern for a donor cat, beyond worrying that he will do well with the surgery. The cats selected to be donors are all shelter cats and let's remember that 70% of all cats in shelters end up being euthanized. It's true we can't give a cat the choice of dying or losing a kidney and being adopted, but I know what my choice would be as a human. My concern for animals being used without choice is for those in labs being used in their thousands for testing so we can have the latest glue, or caulk, or injectable foam insulation, or medication, or cleaning product.
    She seems not to care about the fate of the donor cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I did read everything. My question was about these remarks -

She seems not to care about the fate of the donor cat?
    I'm sure she does care about the fate of the donor cat, and is thinking it will usually get adopted by the recipient's family as well. I know humans who have lived a good long time with one good kidney, and have no doubt a kitty can as well.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm so glad things went smoothly. I would have opted for surgery too. I hope both kitties do well, and that Giz enjoys his new home!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I'm sure she does care about the fate of the donor cat, and is thinking it will usually get adopted by the recipient's family as well. I know humans who have lived a good long time with one good kidney, and have no doubt a kitty can as well.
    Of course I care, that's why I put in my first sentence "and for the donor cat who is getting a new home". I knew the family had adopted him, and I know it's always been part of the deal for a pet kidney transplant. The transplant centers won't do the procedure unless the donor is going to a good home as soon as they recover. I once looked into it at U.C. Davies for one of my cats and knew I'd be adopting the donor cat. Unfortunately, the cost was far more than I could cover and I hadn't heard of IMOM then. My thought is that it's better for a cat to lose a kidney but get a home than stay in the shelter and risk euthanasia. We all know that even young, friendly and beautiful cats are euthanized every day.

I subjected one of my foster cats (with the shelter's approval) to donating blood for a transfusion to another foster cat last year. Cordelia breezed through the procedure (the only real risk was anesthesia) and literally saved Sam's life. I knew if Cordelia had a bad reaction to the anesthesia that it would haunt me all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Surgery was a success.

Walter is already producing urine out of Hero Donor Cat Orville/Gizmo's donated kidney.

Both are recovering well.
    That's wonderful news and thank you for updating us. That family is going to dote on Orville/Gizmo for the rest of his long life.

Walter had some bleeding and the poor boy had to undergo surgery again. But, he is doing well. Orville is doing fantastic.

You can follow their recovery in this thread: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showforum=15

I probably won't have time to post additional updates. Our son-in-law passed away yesterday from viral pneumonia and we will be busy making arrangements and flying to the funeral. It is sad, but not unexpected as he has been ill for many years.

I am sorry to hear about your son-in-law. However expected it is, it is very sad. Sending condolences and good thoughts to you, your husband and daughter, and all who loved him.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Lisa,
    I am so saddened to hear about your son-in law. Prayers of comfort to all who knew and loved him.

Lisa, I am so very sorry to learn about your son-in-law. That is so heartbreaking even if not unexpected.

My very deepest sympathy to you and all who love him so much. God be with you.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh Lisa, my heart goes out to you, i am so sorry to hear this tragic news, even though expected, it is a terrible loss for your daughter and your family, my heart felt condolences to you at this difficult and very sad time.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I am so sorry to hear about your son-in-law. My sympathies for you and your family.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Sweet Walter left the hospital in Florida and made it to his home in Boston. He got to sleep on his favorite red couch again, but had to be released from his tired body.

http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8277

His family is deeply grieving his loss. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.