Thread: Kitty kidney transplant

Hybrid View

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Kitty kidney transplant

IMOM.org has an interesting case right now. Walter is a 5 year old cat who was adopted from the shelter 3 years ago by his loving owners. Walter is now suffering from acute renal failure, and his only chance at living is a kidney transplant.

I didn't even know they performed kidney transplants on cats. I thought you guys might be interested in following Walter's story. Hopefully it will have a good outcome.

Walter's purrrents have spent a lot of money to save their baby. IMOM is trying to help them raise the final $3000.

If you are in a position to donate, please see this thread: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8277
    No amount is too small.

Additional background for Walter is here: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=8254
    Walter's family has flown with him to Gainsville, Florida where he is awaiting treatment -- if funds can be raised in time.

Please cross-post Walter's story. Please donate if you can. And let's all wish him well. He sure hit the jackpot when he chose his family. They are really going the extra mile to keep their baby happy and healthy.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I have never heard of a kitty kidney transplant! Is he on dialysis now? Just curious!
    I've Been Frosted

I've heard of kidney transplants between cats. I think there have been a few done in Colorado. University of Wisconsin also does them.

The cat who donates the kidney has to have a home to go to after the surgery - I think that is a requirement at reputable transplant centers. I remember reading about a transplant done out West - the donor cat was found in a Shelter and was subsequently adopted by the recipients family.

Happy story all around

Gretchen, do you know if Michigan State does them?

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Gretchen, do you know if Michigan State does them?

Pat
    Yes, MSU has done them. Here is a list of facilities in the USA that participate -

University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA

Angell-Memorial Animal Hospital, 350 S. Huntington Ave, Boston, MA

Animal Medical Center, 510 East 62nd Street, New York, NY

Michigan State University, Veterinarian Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, Lansing, MI

Orchard Park Veterinary Medical Center, 3507 Orchard Park Road, Orchard Park, NY

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 2015 Linden Drive, West Madison, WI

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA

Companion Animal Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

Small Animal Hospital, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC

All-Care Animal Referral Center, Fountain Valley, CA

I've heard about kidney transplants in cats before but I have my doubts. You know that my Filou survived renal disease for 5 years- and he was only 14 when he left for Rainbow Bridge but I would have never considered to put him through a kidney transplant surgery. Plus there is another thing: in humans you talk about "donating" because the person donating a kidney can decide whether he or she wants to do that- it is a risk even for the donator but he can willingly take the risk to help another person.
    A cat does not have that decision and I feel it would not be ok if I decided that this cat has to "donate".
    We cannot fix everything that will lead to death finally and we have to live with it. It is sad but it is life.