Thread: Cute new foster - Who needs a Rat Terrier? :D

Cute new foster - Who needs a Rat Terrier? :D

Hello PTers! I wanted to stop in and show off a new non-snakey friend I've been getting acquainted with. Molly is actually my parents' foster dog, but I've been bringing her ot my house for a few hours every night, exercising and trying to start her on some basic training.

My folks actually fostered Molly a few years ago, and she was adopted by a family friend. Unfortunately, the friend was in poorer health than we realized, and she was not able to provide Molly with any sort of regular care. She's a hoarder, and I don't think Molly was even let out on some days, she was just doing her business in the house. Eventually she realized that Molly needed a more active home, and she's back with my parents looking for a forever family.

Unfortunately, due to being almost completely isolated for the last few years, she is a _wreck_. She bit my dad VERY badly her first night back, and she's terrified of every noise and movement. She is coming around slowly with calm voices and steady hands, plus lots of treats. My dad was bitten when he cornered her and tried to pick her up, so we're taking things VERY VERY slowly with handling. Today I was able to pick her up without her panicking, which is an improvement even since yesterday. Luckily she loves the kitties and is fine with the other dogs, and she seems to want to do everything Jasper does.

Today I decided that it was time to tackle her overgrown nails and overall filthiness, so we walked for two hours before I muzzled her and got her into the bathtub. The last time someone tried to trim her nails she screamed and peed all over, but today she was much better. A little wiggly, a little whiney, but she didn't offer to bite, and she didn't pee. I'm not finished with her nails, but I got all of the ones that were curling under, and I'm sure she's much more comfortable.

If anyone has tips on working with very fearful dogs, I'd be very appreciative. Right now I'm just taking things slow with her. She's not getting coddled, but we're all making an effort to go slow and talk softly around her, and she's getting a treat from every man I can convince to offer her one. I'm darn well going to convince her that men aren't terrifying monsters. I emailed my local toy breed rescue to ask for recommendations for a trainer or behaviorist in my area and recieved a very unhelpful reply, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what my next step is. I DO think that with a little bit of work she's goign to turn out to be a stellar dog. She's improved noticeably in four days, she just needs a little confidence.

Anyhow, here's the darling girl...

Napping with her new friend

Pretty new pink collar...

I've never met a dog with better leash manners than her. She walks *perfectly*, never an ounce of pressure on the leash.

Sherpa makes her a little nervous since he's so much bigger than her, but they're getting to know each other.

Oh my goodness, what a cute little peanut!!!!

Bless you for taking her on! It is so good that she's made such progress already! Maybe email Candi Cane Cooper - she's on the experts/ page for All Paws, and while her specialty is farm animals, I know she's in California and might know a good dog behaviorist to hook you up with.
    I've Been Frosted

What a cutie . A trainer/behaviourist would have probably been really beneficial for her, but if you can't find anyone helpful, then I guess that's a no go. I think what you're doing, trying to teach her that men aren't awful, and working slowly with her is going to work great though. I'm glad she's making progress.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

She sure is a cutie pie and I'm glad that she's beginning to show some progress. I hope that she'll continue to improve. Good luck.

Aww, she is a cutie

Look at the face! Oh my goodness...

Bless you for taking her in.

So glad she is back with you and your folks.

Oh I HATE it when a placement is a disaster, makes me feel like I've let the pup down. Poor girl, what a horrid thing to happen to her!

I've got Tasha, a puppy mill rescue. I think much of what we do with mill dogs will apply here; and since she has a more positive background to draw on, she should be able to adapt better. Please be VERY CAUTIOUS who she is placed with in future; any chance you folks could keep her? Bouncing her around is not good, and one bad placement is already done tons of damage. IF she does leave you folks again, she could well regress, as now she knows leaving you means a bad life. Keep that in mind!

So, you want her around other socialized dogs to see what they do. Progress slowly, lots of treats, you are doing all this very well!

Personally, I think a group class is almost always better than one on one training. She will be around other dogs, and see how they are acting. You can find a trainer using this link:
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/ts/default.aspx
    But even if you want to do one on one, that link will help get you started.

Here is a link to info for rehabilitating a mill rescue. Much of it will NOT apply, but I think you will find it helpful -- and again, you are doing many of the right things: slow and patient!
    http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/newsl...ges/rehab.html

Good luck, and please keep us updated on her progress!

Blog Entries
    What a sweet looking little girl. If you sit on the floor would Molly climb into your lap with it being her choice to do so? Maybe that would help build her confidence. My sister has a rat terrier & he is a real lap dog.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Today's update: Molly is now my dad's best buddy. She'd rather sit on his lap than eat! She also will jump into my lap if there's nothing else going on. Tomorrow she's going for a behavior evaluation, Sunday we're updating her vaccines. She may BE up to date already, but the previous owner is a hoarder and can't find her papers among all of the junk in the house. I also bought her a bag of actual dog food, since she came with a bag of Kibbles 'N Bits. Ugh. She's got some dermatitis around the edges of ehr ears that will hopefully clear up with some actual food.

My folks have thought about keeping her, but they have two special needs dogs and three cats already, and they really don't want another problem animal right now. If I didn't live with my mother in law, I'd take her in a heartbeat. My mother in law is very kind to let my eleven animals stay, but another dog is out of the question. I work in a feed store, so I've been chatting up several of my customers who I know have experience with "different" dogs. No luck yet, but it's only been a few days.

Since I'm in the busy part of my work week right now, I won't get to see her much until Tuesday. Luckily, my dad's home all day for now and keeps her company. He's very pleased by the fact that she now prefers him to any other human, so she gets a LOT of lap time, LoL

I'll keep you guys posted on the behavior evaluation! Thanks for all the kind words and advice!

If the 'hoarder' will tell you which vet she used, you can get the vet records. Just a thought, so many dogs get over vaccinated as it is, I'd hate to have her have a reaction to vaccines that she doesn't need.

I have this lovely mental image of her snuggled in your Dad's lap!

Good news! The rescue's behaviorist likes her a lot and she'll be adopted through them. My folks are going to continue fostering her and I'm going to continue working with her. I had a long chat with a trainer this morning and he gave me a few more tips...we *might* stop by his group class next week and see how she does, but it will depend on my work/school schedule.

I did discover a small streak of food aggression today. She was chewing a tendon and one of the kitties approached, and she growled. We took the tendon away for now.

As for vaccines, her former owner still can't find the paperwork and says she doesn't remember where they went to the vet (I suspect that means she never went to the vet ), so we're updating rabies and DAPP tomorrow, per the rescue's requirements.

Today she peed all over the groomer, but he was able to do her nails withough a muzzle or any crying on her part(I LOVE our groomer!). My husband and I took her for a walk, and I had him walk her so she could get used to being "out and about" with a man nearby. She was a little more tense on today's walk with my hubby around, but overall she did fine, and she even rolled around on the grass a little.

I'm very tired, so I might see how she feels about a nap in the kennel while I nap. My dad has been letting her sleep on the bed...where his two dogs aren't allowed to sleep...hmm...

Sounds like good news all around . . . love where she sleeps at your folks house ha ha haaaa!

Oh My! She looks like a rat terrier I used to have before LilGirl. Her name was Honey and she liked to sit on my shoulder and she was a sweet dog. I do hope this lovely little girl finds a good home. I bet she would be a lovebug if given the chance. Thank you for caring for her. It sounds as if the poor little thing didnt have much of a life before you.