Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE beware of treats made in China - UPDATE #10

PLEASE beware of treats made in China - UPDATE #10

In the past 2 weeks, the FDA has received over 400 complaints of dogs getting ill and / or dying after eating chicken jerky treats made in China. I am still trying to track down more info, this is what I have found so far:

http://news.petpardons.com/fda-recei...call-in-sight/

Pass this along to everyone you know who owns a dog. One thing the above article emphasizes: The FDA has been posting warnings associated with the treats since 2007, but most consumers are not aware of the notices.

Note: The leading US importer of chicken jerky treats has stubbornly refused to recall. Cases of their products line the shelves at Giant Eagle, Wal Mart, Walgreens and other stores, and coupons for consumers continue to be found in newspapers and circulars.

This is RECENT, as of Feb 19, 2012!
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-13-2012 at 10:35 PM.

I sent part of this as an e-mail to friends who have dogs. Freedom, do you know if it also involves cat treats? I didn't send it to cat people, but I certainly could.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Since all of that pet food poisoning a few years back, I stay away from unknown brands of treats, and always check all the labels too - just to be sure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Elyse, the article only discusses dog treats, specifically chicken jerky.

Treats from China aren't the only things you need to watch out for. I try to avoid products from China. Period.

I've given them chicken jerky only once. When Frankie decided he was going to try to swallow the thing whole and was choking until I pulled it from his throat, they've never had them again. I threw the bag out and don't accept them as gifts.

My mom buys Wallace Waggin Train treats since they are grain free. I'll have to tell her no more of them. Right now he has duck jerky, but its still made in China. She might as well just buy him a pack of jerky made for human consumption.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I went through my store and put all of the treats made in the US on two racks so people don't have to hunt for them.

WOW that is nice of you!

Update, March 13, 2012.

Three companies named: Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch jerky treats or tenders, both produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co. and Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp..

http://www.annarbor.com/pets/pets-do...-canyon-creek/

Canyon Creek is what I was using -- front of the package says AN AMERICAN COMPANY. Back in small print: product of China. This was when Sugar had the elevated liver enzymes.

I got this via e-mail from causes.com ----

Black Friday for Pets November 23, 2012

Beware toxic chicken jerky treats made in China, that to date have sickened over 2,200 dogs with kidney & liver failure, and killed over 360.

This Thursday concerned pet owners will demonstrate outside Walmart stores around the country to protest the continued selling and marketing toxic pet treats made in China.

On Black Friday, 2012 determined pet food consumers all across the U.S. and Canada will gather together in front of Walmarts.
    Mission: We are asking Walmart to remove all Chinese imported jerky treats from store shelves immediately and we ask they remain removed until the FDA has issued a statement the treats are safe for pets to consume.
    Description: Why Black Friday? Several reasons, but the biggest is media. Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year. Every single year, the media is in front of Walmarts all across the U.S. filming the shopping frenzy. By planning to ask Walmart managers questions on this day, we have guaranteed media attention. We need our questions to Walmart to be publicized in every city - this is our one day to achieve that.

Why Walmart? Walmart is the largest national retailer. If Walmart removes the treats from store shelves, it is likely other retailers will follow.

What are we asking for and what are the grounds for our request? Very simple...we are asking Walmart to remove all Chinese imported jerky treats from store shelves immediately and we ask they remain removed until the FDA has issued a statement the treats are safe for pets to consume.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Mike and I always try to avoid from ANYTHING that is made in China, especially pet products. We were wondering, what are ANY pet products that are USA made?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

There's plenty of pet products made in the US.....but you aren't going to find them at wal-mart, dollar stores, grocery stores, etc. Look at pet specialty shops and just check the label.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Read - read - read -- all the fine print on all pet food and treat labels. It's really the only way to avoid buying products that aren't made in the U.S. I never bought anything for the Fuzzbuttz that was not MADE in the U.S., tho where some of those ingredients come from may be questionable. Luckily, I never fed them any brand that had contaminated ingredients like was in that huge pet food scare and recall of several years ago, where so many dogs died.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm finding that a lot of my customers don't know this, so I'm posting it here: treats made by Dogswell are made in China. (Happs Hips, Mellow Mut, etc) My store dropped Dogswell entirely, and people keep asking for it. When I tell them it's made overseas, a lot of them don't believe me until they go look for themselves.