Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Westminster Dog Show!

Westminster Dog Show!

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2012/results/bis/

I'm not sure if this topic has been posted yet, but I figured it would be a good one

First of all I want to say Congrats to the Peke Who took best in show!!! (check out link)

What did you guys all think of the results of the Westminster Dog show? Which breed were you voting for best in breed? What is your favorite group winner?

I was personally hoping the Doberman would have taken best in show, but I also lovvvved the GSD!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

There is a thread - see http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?121740!

I was kinda pulling for Fifi, too! Or the Dalmatian!
    I've Been Frosted

Bumping up this old thread - only three weeks till the 2013 Westminster show! I wonder if there are any new dog breeds this year. My mom and I always watch it and talk about the biggest, smallest, fluffiest, sleekest, that sort of thing. My favorite part is the announcer who tells you a little about each dog as you are looking at the judging. This breed hunts or herds, or is a lap dog, does police work, is good with children, likes water, runs fast, that sort of thing. I always learn something! But I leave the room when they are doing helper dog stories because those make me cry. I love to watch the dog show every winter
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Bumping up this old thread - only three weeks till the 2013 Westminster show! I wonder if there are any new dog breeds this year. My mom and I always watch it and talk about the biggest, smallest, fluffiest, sleekest, that sort of thing. My favorite part is the announcer who tells you a little about each dog as you are looking at the judging. This breed hunts or herds, or is a lap dog, does police work, is good with children, likes water, runs fast, that sort of thing. I always learn something! But I leave the room when they are doing helper dog stories because those make me cry. I love to watch the dog show every winter
    Here you go - 2 new ones this year - http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...ed_100512.html

And a friend of mine got a rescue dog a few months ago who is at least part Treeing Walker Coonhound - so they will be watching with great interest!
    I've Been Frosted

I dont have cable now so I dont get to watch it unless parts of it are shown on regular antenna tv. At one time I had a dish and I watched it. I always wanted a dog like mine to win LOL and I was most interested in that category. That would be the toy breed or a Lab because Annie is part Lab we think. I liked to watch all the dogs strut their stuff. Many times it looked as if they were floating because their fur/hair practically covered their feet. Nice show!.

Westminster 2013 is here!

And I am smiling because I know which breed took the Non-Sporting group, but I won't say because I don't want to give it away. But it is a breed that's represented on Pet Talk Non-Sporting group winner for BIS!!!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

So far we've got the results in for 4 groups. Out of them my vote is for that nice foxhound. Sorry to say but that non-sporting winner is just not gonna get my vote because cute and fluffy takes the show too many times. Overall I was thinking this could be the year for the skye terrier, but that group is last.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Too bad Sandie's t.v. is out because of the blizzard. She would have been ecstatic to see the winner of the non-sporting group!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

:-| The dog I was rooting for didn't win Best in Show! I am bummed!

My mom was oohing and aahing at the spaniels and laughing at the terriers' little legs as they walked We both enjoy watching the Westminster show every year.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    :-| The dog I was rooting for didn't win Best in Show! I am bummed!

My mom was oohing and aahing at the spaniels and laughing at the terriers' little legs as they walked We both enjoy watching the Westminster show every year.
    Who did you want to win?

Personally, I liked all the final 7 - and was delighted Banana Joe won!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Who did you want to win?

Personally, I liked all the final 7 - and was delighted Banana Joe won!!
    The Bichon, the Fox Hound or the Old English Sheepdog If it was up to me I would give out seven Best in Show ribbons, one for each group! I liked all the final 7 too!

The Old English Sheepdog was awarded Reserve Best in Show - dog people, what does that mean? -- The man who judged the terrier group is from St. Charles, Illinois, which is a western suburb of Chicago; so I'm hoping that he will be interviewed for the newspaper or TV news soon about judging the group and more about the Westminster show. Or maybe he already was and I missed it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I fell asleep early into the show last night, so didn't see the results until this a.m. Such a cute little guy that one - but did I hear that he is now going back to The Netherlands??? From the category winners on Monday, I was kinda leaning toward the Old English Sheepdog to win (and of course the Bichon ) - I always said I wanted a SD - but I like the little lap dog sizes to share my household!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful show. The Clumber Spaniel caught my eyes. Loved all the dogs thought they were all winners.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Reserve best in show would be awarded best in show if the winner is determined ineligible to win. Its the runner-up basically.

I was still hoping the foxhound. It makes me think of the days when a person's character was judged by their horsemanship and their dogs. But the affenpinscher is a toy terrier of sorts and terrier's hold the most wins in Westminster history. I remember that same fox terrier took the male win for his breed last year but not the best of breed.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton