Thread: Question for those who live in the US

Question for those who live in the US

If you're in the US and want to send a package of food to another country, do you have to declare it? And if so, what are the possible costs?

I'm asking this for my sister who's planning another trip to the United States, and she's thinking of sending some veggie stuff to her home address (which would be too heavy to take it back by plane). She said she ate some really delicious things during her last visit, and she would like to have some of it when she's back home.

Do you think that would work, or are there any restrictions?

Far as I know you can not send food internationally due to possible contaiminants. So do NOT declare it as food! Then, you just pay the regular postage due on the parcel, which is based on size and weight.

BUT Customs will have sniffer dogs checking for food stuffs. Some gets through, some does not. I've sent stuff to Culture Junky in Wales, and she to me. BUt sometimes the package has been opened by Customs and some foods removed.

It is chancy at best.

It will likely cost more, but to ensure something gets through, purchase it from a supplier who ships international as part of their regular business - in other words do a Google search.

That is my experience!

Oh yes, and My Mum (passed on 17 years ago now) used to try to bring stuff back from England with her when she went on visits back to see her family. Same thing, sometimes it got through, other times she was asked to open the luggage and they would remove stuff.

Thanks a lot, I will tell her about that, then it's up to her to decide.

Some years ago, an American friend sent me some candy bars (Luna bars; because of Luna, you know, and of course because they were yummy! ). I loved them! Well, obviously I was lucky that they passed the Customs!

Kirsten, do you have a site like this in Gemany... you must have! That should give you the info you need : http://www.foedevarestyrelsen.dk/Foe...r/forside.aspx

I have received food items from the US without problems - like a bag of dried cranberries, and I have brought back pecan nuts, cereals, and a yummy meat and cheese roll, too. It may help if you sister have it vacuum packed.

One thing I've heard is that you can send chocolade to the US, but only plain chocolade, not filled.

OMG! I had a look at Trader Joe's site to see if I could find these "cheese rolls". It's cheese rolled up with some meat in the middle and you slice it, like a roulade. I'm getting hungry!! They would go so well with my glass of red wine.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

It depends on what the foodstuff are. Fresh fruit is a definite no go, as they worry about bigs and stuff that might come along with it. Usually when I ship anything to another country, I have to fill out a form saying what is in the box, but it didn't need to be too specific - I was allowed to put "gift' once, as I said I wanted it to be a surprise. I sent cookies to Lady's Human when he was stationed in Germany that got through fine, but that was to a military base, so maybe that makes a difference.
    I've Been Frosted