Thread: Charlie says Hi.

Charlie says Hi.

Hes about 1.5~2yrs old. They told me hes a BC/Terrier cross. In short I have no idea what he is, but I have a good idea what he went through with his old owner. He was clearly abused, starved, untrained, and left in a super tiny wire cage for 12-15hr/day. Hes a super friendly pup, soso behaved, but will pee everywhere and anywhere, so he wears a male wrap with a baby diaper in it & it does a great job at catching it (he is peeing a lot less, but with carpet, he needs to wear it).

Meet Charlie, our hobo dog (as we call him).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	391833_10150892245550268_530510267_21076808_826966551_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	52658

Name:	314316_10150892247080268_530510267_21076831_829090792_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	52659

See the crazy hair on the tip of his ears? lol

Name:	379502_10151010567315268_530510267_21541802_240700320_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	52661

He always looks sad

Name:	388311_10151010568360268_530510267_21541812_1533859574_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	52662

Sadly he is self destructive Hes getting better every week, but he was a total mess when I first brought him home. Completely out of control & didn't understand anything, well except the word "no", which would make him pee while running away with his belly dragging on the floor. He doesn't do that anymore as he knows we wont beat him. I do use a static collar on him (the puppy one), to help with training as I can't touch him or guide him, or shout NO at him. He reacts very well to it & isn't "scared" of it, just obeys it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Charlie, I hope you adjust well to your new home! You're a cutie!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Charlie looks like a real sweetheart. Hopefully, in time, he'll overcome all of his bad habits and issues, and settle down to being spoiled rotten and enjoying it - just as he should.

Kudos to you Digi, for taking on this challenge. Please keep us posted on Charlie's progress.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh My, Poor dog had a rough life until you got him. He must have gone through alot of trauma and abuse. People who do that to animals should be punished. It is so good that you are willing to adopt him and be patient and loving with him as he learns to trust you. Good for you!

Hi, Charlie! It is nice to meet you! I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful new life for you. Fingers and paws tightly crossed for a life of fun, happiness and love!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks everyone.

This week we will be letting him free when at work. Hes not destructive outside of his kennel. He'll have his diaper on as it catches all the pee and it doesnt soak through (the baby diaper insidd his dog wrap is new). Its not like him to poop in the house so were good there.

I just have to remember to remove the big water dish as he is a water gorger. What he consumes in 1day, is = to what Digi consumes in 1-2 weeks and he is 1/2 Digi's size. Both eat raw.

Hes getting the big snip next month and we hope that will help stop his marking and other intact male issues.

I just wish i could fatten him up faster. But on a raw diet its not easy. He also cannot consume too much food/day as it'll make him vomit over and over and over until i can get him away from it. Silly dog. He also appears to have similar food allergies as Digi. So no red meat. Which makes things safer for Digi as red meat can kill her, it just gives charlie super smelly runs!!

Hmmm, can dogs be diabetic? I'm a nurse and water gorging and problems with bladder control are two things that would make me think of diabetes in a human patient.

Charlie, sweet, your new mom will serve you a proper diet so it doesn't give you tummy troubles! I know you will learn all the skills you need and also get lots of positive attention And you will be happy, healthy, loved and learn to play and have fun

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Poor guy, I'm glad he has a good home now He's so cute!

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

what a handsome fellow
    glad he found a home
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Hmmm, can dogs be diabetic? I'm a nurse and water gorging and problems with bladder control are two things that would make me think of diabetes in a human patient.

Charlie, sweet, your new mom will serve you a proper diet so it doesn't give you tummy troubles! I know you will learn all the skills you need and also get lots of positive attention And you will be happy, healthy, loved and learn to play and have fun
    I think Charlie does it due to his past exp with not having access to any food or water. The second he sees food its gone & will eat until he pukes & eat that & puke again & over & over & over. He also eats his food in record time & will eat anything that smells like food (bags, etc). I'm positive hes just worried when his next meal will be.

As for peeing, I think a lot of it is marking (unless he sneaks in a whole bowl of water) & I don't think hes ever been trained to hold himself, so he just lets it aaaaaall out when he feels the need.

When he gets the big snip next month he'll be confined to very small area in the house (a giant dog bed beside the couch in the livingroom..where we always are) for a few weeks, in hopes that all his hormones will be out of his body & he'll have no interest in marking everywhere.
    *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by Digi View Post
    I think Charlie does it due to his past exp with not having access to any food or water. The second he sees food its gone & will eat until he pukes & eat that & puke again & over & over & over. He also eats his food in record time & will eat anything that smells like food (bags, etc). I'm positive hes just worried when his next meal will be.
    Oh, Digi, how sad. It makes me really mad that anyone would do that to a dog. Could you give Charlie an extra petting for me. Fingers crossed and big prayers that he'll do well with his surgery and that will help him turn a corner with his tummy and bladder issues.

And the same hope I had before-- Charlie, I know you will learn all the skills you need and also get lots of positive attention. And you will be happy, healthy, loved, plus you will learn to play and have all kinds of fun! (not that you are not already happy and loved but even more so)

Oh, Digi, how sad. It makes me really mad that anyone would do that to a dog. Could you give Charlie an extra petting for me. Fingers crossed and big prayers that he'll do well with his surgery and that will help him turn a corner with his tummy and bladder issues.

And the same hope I had before-- Charlie, I know you will learn all the skills you need and also get lots of positive attention. And you will be happy, healthy, loved, plus you will learn to play and have all kinds of fun! (not that you are not already happy and loved but even more so)
    Thanks

He knows hes loved & he knows he has it good here. Not once has he acted upset of stressed that I took him away from him old owners. I think he knew right away that I was different. Hes a big suck and super friendly!

I had him at my sisters place & she has a baby under 2. We kept Charlie leashed to see how he would act around a baby & he could have cared less. He acted like he knew my nephew and learned that he = food lol He didn't get stressed out when my nephew threw a fit or cried for attention. It was Digi we had to keep an eye on, she will wear a muzzle next time we visit.

She growled in fear & chose flight over fight when he would go near her, so we don't think she would bite, but who on earth wants to risk that? After a couple of days she was calmer, but shes a lot bigger then a baby so a fear nip from her could = stitches for my nephew (my sister is a dog lover & knew a head of time that Digi might be iffy. shes not the type to kill a dog for a fear nip.. a full out maul heck yes, but not something for a few stitches... we were raised that dogs nip in fear & its gonna happen to just about every kid at some point. Avoiding is still best of course!). She was on a leash the whole time, or confined to the couch (which she was happy to stay). It just sucks that 1 kid ruined my dog I know after time she does warm up to her fears & has never bitten a dog that was attacking her, so I'm not overly worried, but it still sucks

Until then, you should try to slow his eating down, as that's not good for him. Feed a smaller amount at a time over several sessions, or try putting a large rock in the middle of his food so he has to eat around it, and see if that helps.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Until then, you should try to slow his eating down, as that's not good for him. Feed a smaller amount at a time over several sessions, or try putting a large rock in the middle of his food so he has to eat around it, and see if that helps.
    He does eat a smaller portion & is fine, but weight gain is just really slow as he cannot consume a lot/day. I can no longer put my finger inbetween his ribs (he was that emaciated), but its taken 4 months to get to that state (thats how long hes been here).

He eats raw, so there is no dog dish. I offer it frozen to slow him down to chew, but he still inhales it. If its thawed, he'll swallow a chicken drum/thigh whole, which is a choking hazard! His day to day care is pretty crazy & has stressed me out a good number of times. Since the baby diaper a couple weeks ago, there is very little stress caused now.