Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: on a mercy mission, need your advice...

on a mercy mission, need your advice...

I had noticed as we drive past a house a block away from my house a black and white kitty that always sits in the middle of the lawn curled up asleep, i said to my husband, that cat does not look too well to me, or is just very old.

Well today i started my new exercise regime, early morning walks, and i decided to investigate, sure enough kitty was outside as it always seems to be. i approached kitty and it did not even hear me, or know i was there until i stroked it.

I was not happy with the condition it is in, very thin, terrible coat, probably covered in fleas, and it's back legs looked wobbly,it was very friendly and miaowed all the time as patted it.

I am really concerned.

I don't know if the people in the house where it was are the owners.

My thoughts are yes kitty could be old and sick , and i know with both my ash and Ellie, they both were thin towards the end, and maybe people thought they were not being taken care of, but truthfully this kitty looked far worse than either of my cats near the end of their life.

Also i am thinking kitty is sick and is not being treated.

I do want to approach the people in the house and ask about it, but i have to be very careful about that, i have contacted a cat shelter and just waiting to hear back from them with advice on what to do from here on,not contacting SPCA at this stage, as if the cat were to be uplifted from this house, they would be putting it to sleep,that i am certain of.

I know i won't be able to sleep if i don't intervene in some capacity?

What would you do?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Carole,

Make the kitty go "poof". She needs you!!! If you can't keep her, at least find her a furrever home where she's loved and not neglected. Sounds like she may even be deaf or hard of hearing.

Thank you for caring, girl!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

no Donna i know you mean well, but i would not do that, imagine if someone took my ellie because they thought she was not cared for, i admit this kitty looks far worse than my ill cats ever did, but i need to investigate first, i cannot have her here, too much stress for me right now,and also for Nikki, she is stressed at the moment, but rest assured i will do what i can, finding homes for kitties is not very easy at the moment, the shelters and SPCA are full up.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Do you know the people in that house? Even if you don't, Can you just go over and talk with them, find out what they know about the cat?

I was waiting to hear back from the cat shelter people, but decided to do just as you suggested , i have just seen the owner, he tells me Pixie is 17 yrs old, i thought she was pretty old, and has arthritis in her hips.

He has another cat Caramel, and two dogs, he did seem a reasonable pet owner, he was ok with me talking to him about it, and goes to my vet as well, he was cuddling Pixie the whole time i was there, he assures me she is not in any pain,She is not on any meds from what he said, i did tell him i have arthritis and it is painful, i think they can give things to cats for it, but i don't think he would consider that, by talking with him ,however i am not 100 per cent sure he is right, but then he lives with her ,not me, so cannot assume too much.,but yes she would have some degree of discomfort for certain, just how much is anyone's guess.

He does not want to take her yet to the vet as he thinks they will put her down, i tried telling him, i know how hard that is, but we have to consider the cat,not just our own feelings, i put it rather better than that,more diplomatic.

She is covered in fleas though, that concerns me, and she is filthy, her white paws are brown,she has access to the garage day and night, so that is re-assuring for me.

He said maybe i will take her to the vet then, but you know people say things like that when put on the spot.

I could tell he loves her , so i just have to hope he makes the right decisions from now on, maybe me bringing it to his attention might help, i hope so.

He does not think she is deaf, but i do, well at least some hearing loss is apparent,he said maybe in one ear.

She is still eating he say's and she was a rescue from the SPCA a runt of the litter, so is a small cat.

I do think myself a cat of that age has probably got a lot going on with her, and i hope he takes her to the vet, he is scared they will put her down, but i told him they won't suggest it, unless they really think it is cruel to keep her alive .

I think i have done all i can in this situation, but i will continue with my walks and say hello to Pixie and observe the situation as best i can.

I know she is not being taken care of in the manner i would take care of her, but i don't think she is being totally neglected either, i hope he deflea's her though as she really had them so bad, how can people live with that themselves ,their homes must be riddled with them , and don't they get bitten too, i just don't get it myself.

Anyhow that is the update, keep you posted on any further developments, and yes i will be keeping an eye on PIXIE.
    Furangels only lent.

I am glad you were able to speak to her owner, and reassure him that would not just put her to sleep without checking with him. And I bet he appreciated your concern for his old girl, too.
    I've Been Frosted

yes I definitely would not take the cat. not only for the reason you stated but also because that is theft and YOU could get in trouble.

I think at this point you've taken the best first step you can. Wait to hear back from the shelter... if they don't have any advice then I'd call the SPCA or animal control if you have it. Other than that I don't know what else you could do other than maybe taking some food over every once in a while. but don't commit any crimes lol

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Carole,

I'm glad you had a chance to speak with her owner. You are absolutely right about not making her go "poof". I'd feel bad if someone did that to my cat. It makes me ill when I hear about cats that seem to be neglected. I do hope that he'll take better care of her now that you've spoken to him.

You are the best, Carole!!!

& hugs

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'd steal the cat.

~Brenda~

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaL View Post
    I'd steal the cat.
    Oops I'm sorry. I did not read any replys until after I posted. I sure hope the owner will get her seen. Pixie is a cute name too. Again, I am sorry I jumpped the gun.
    ~Brenda~

Carole, I am so happy to read this update!

Now something new to think about -- and I admit I have no idea on this, it just came to me, have not thought it through. What about speaking to the vet since it is also the vet you use? Or the vet office, perhaps the office manager?

With my crew, I know all the folks at my vet office quite well. I could (again I haven't thought this through to say this is what to do) easily speak with the vet or the office manager -- she is one of the vet techs! -- about this. My vet office will periodically call to say it is time for X to come in for a check up. Haven't seen her in awhile, just routine.

Of course, "just routine" for a cat like Pixie is going to include blood work, and hence money. Don't know if funds is perhaps an issue for this owner.

Something to ponder.

Hey no apologies needed to me, i am as passionate about this as you all are.

I think a few of you have mis-understood my post, i was NOT going to have her put to sleep, no way would i ever do that with someone elses cat, he was saying to me he did not want to take her to the vet as he was scared they would suggest it, and he thinks she is still ok, but i must say i tend to disagree with him.

They do need to take much better care of her, considering her age and health, but what can one do, you just have to advise and hope people listen.

Yes you cannot just take someone else's pet, i am not so sure on legality issues here in NZ, as there is no proof of real ownership where cats are concerned, but then if you have vet records i guess that would prove your ownership to a degree, i remember i had that problem with that bad owner of Ellie and Nikki when i reported her to the SPCA because of one of the other cats that was badly hurt and she ignored it, she denied ownership, even though it was one of Ellie's and Nikkis grown up kittens, the SPCA could not touch her,sadly i had to trap kitty and have her put to sleep ,it was a very horrible experience, one i don't care to ever go through again.

Yes will be walking by every day , and checking on kitty,i mean how can you leave a kitty full of fleas, i just still cannot fathom that one out, your whole house will be full of them and you would get bitten, one good reason to de flea, but then i remember Ellie's bad owner, she would not let the cats inside, but they would jump in the windows, i would see them from my upstairs window which is where i did all my spying to see what was really going on, looked right in to her place, and then she would spend like 150 dollars getting the pest control people in twice a year to bomb the place, how stupid is that, cheaper to de flea the cats and so much better for their health too,honestly some people just are so stupid aren't they?

I do wish there was more i could do, but the guy seems to care for her, he just is not doing enough in my opinion, but then not everyone would do what i or you would do, shame that it is.

So let us hope Pixie will be ok.

Freedom i just read your post, great minds think alike, i did think of talking to my vet about it, he is very approachable and we know him really well, but would it not be something he could not discuss with someone else, like if he knows the cat and owner, like with doctors ,you cannot discuss with anyone else,so could be an issue i think.

I don't know the financial situation , but he lives in a better house than me, has two dogs and two cats, a wife and kids, thats about all i found out,sometimes even if people have money , they just don't want to spend it on an elderly cat, which is so mean.

I Think my hands are a bit tied here really, i think i just have to keep a close eye on pixie, she is usually outside every day, so i should be able to see her and look at her, mind you still if i do notice anything, don't know what i can do to make him take her, he said he was thinking about it now, but you know how it is, probably just said that to keep me off his back.

I have to be careful, i cannot be seen as harassing these people, and if i am , then i can never seen Pixie, or go on their property, so i don't want that.

I also DON'T want added stress in my life right now, i have some health issues and i really cannot get myself too stressed,they are not serious, but they do need attention, but that does not mean i would let an animal be abused or neglected , but i am having to put myself first for once,no good to my family and kitties if i cannot take care of them .

Best not to go in boots and all,just be calm and keep an eye on things.I will try and sneak a pic of her sometime for you all.
    Furangels only lent.

Oh Carole, this is all just so sad.

God bless you for speaking to the owner and for caring so much about and for Pixie.

Perhaps you could suggest to the owner the next time you see him that there are inexpensive/easyto use/effective flea treatments available, whatever might be most appropriate or best, see what he says about the fleas and if he even knows that they can be gotten rid of from the cat. She must be so uncomfortable with them all over her, poor baby.

Please keep us posted. Loads of love to you for all you do and have done for so many of these innocent little ones.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Pat he knows about the treatment, when i mentioned did he have some advantage, he said yes, so why on earth he is not doing it, makes my blood boil, yes her coat is pretty unkempt, but it can look like that on an old and sick cat, but having fleas would make it like that too, i so want to grab some of my revolution and just do her, but really i cannot do that, what if he does do her, and besides it might make her ill, my cat Nikki always gets a little unwell after flea treatment, which vet told me is not uncommon, his cats do as well.

Yes difficult one, but would so love to de flea her,for the life of me can not understand why he won't, the other thing is she is deaf or very hard of hearing, and i so worry as she is outside ,also she sleeps in the middle of their section (which that part is unfenced, )she is very exposed to anything, like a stray dog etc, i mentioned that to him to.

I know you cannot save them all, but at least i could make her life a little better( if only i could,)

So tricky, like on one hand i can see he is genuinely fond of her, in fact i thought he loved the cat,and does not want to part with her,however you have to think of the well being of the cat, not keep it alive for your own selfish reasons, which is what i pointed out in a much nicer way than that, but what i mean't,gosh i would have done anything to keep my baby Ellie with me longer , but i knew she was suffering, and that it was cruel to let her go on anymore.

I would think Pixie probably has several issues going on, that they are choosing not to find out about or treat,but i could be wrong, just have a gut feeling on that one.

If only there was more i could do to help, if only.
    Furangels only lent.

Hmm, I know the vet and staff probably can't say much back to you, as in a true conversation, but you can easily drop a hint to them that Pixie lives near you and seems covered in fleas and in need of attention. They will say something like "oh really?" or "I see . . . . " Anyway it was just an idea. You obviously are concerned about Pixie and so tossing ideas around sometimes helps.

Maybe next speak to the wife or kids? Depends on the age of the children of course.