Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recipes - Soup!

Recipees - Soup!

I tried this the other day and didn't have high expectations, but it was actually quite yummy.

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

1 (1-pound) head cauliflower, cut into small florets, divided use
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 leek (white and pale green parts only), chopped
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
    1 cup (or more) milk
    Salt and white pepper to taste

Blanch 1 cup cauliflower florets in medium pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Set aside.

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, leek, celery, and remaining cauliflower. Cover and cook until onion is tender but not brown, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.
    Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in vegetable broth. Add 1 cup milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover partially and simmer until vegetables are very tender and soup thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

Puree soup in blender in batches until smooth. (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!) Return to same saucepan and heat thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
    Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved cauliflower and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh yum Randi!!! My Mom, who was Norweigan, used to make a verison of this but I didn't have the recipe! I'm going to give a try very soon

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Yum!

The Cauliflower soup sounds great - I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

Can I add a soup recipe? I just made a huge batch of my favorite lentil soup yesterday and I'd love to share the recipe. It's sooooo yummy!

Lemon Lentil Soup
    Ingredients:
    1 cup lentils
    6 cups water
    1 potato (peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped Swiss chard
    3 tablespoons olive oil (I use less than this)
    1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
    1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon cumin powder
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    salt to taste

Directions:
    Rinse lentils. Bring lentils and water to boil in large pot. Simmer for 35 minutes.
    In a separate pan heat oil, add black paper and potatoes. Fry for 2 minutes on high heat. Add celery and fry for 1 more minute. Add to lentil broth and cook 10 minutes.
    Add Swiss chard, ground coriander, cumin powder, and lemon juice. Cook 10 minutes. Add parsley, coriander leaves and salt. Serve hot.
    Serves 6.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

oh yum, those sound good! especially the califlower, i'll hav eto dig up my soup recipes. my mom has the BESt potato soup recipe. it's so good for those freezing winter nights. yay, now i'm almost looking forward to winter

I got this soup recipe from a Weight Watchers posting. Haven't tried it yet, but it does sound yummy!

Roasted Garlic Soup
    This recipe serves 4. WW Points estimated at 1/2.

2 heads garlic
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    4 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves -- tough stems removed

Preheat oven to 425F. Remove papery covering of garlic. Slice off the top of each head so most of the cloves are exposed.

Place garlic heads in a small baking dish. Drizzle 1 tsp oil over each head. Cover dish with aluminum foil and roast for 45 minutes, until garlic is completely soft and lightly browned.

When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic pulp into a medium saucepan. Add broth, stir well to combine. Simmer 15 minutes. Before serving, stir in spinach, simmer until wilted, about 4 minutes. Stir vigorously. Serve hot.

Source: "The Roasted Vegetable Cookbook"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 91 Calories; 2g Fat (22.1% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 672mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Another WW soup, for summer this time.

Summer Fruit Soup
    Servings: 4; Points: 2.5 Per Serving

3 cups cantaloupe -- or honey dew, cut up
    1 cup sliced strawberries
    1/2 cup fat-free yogurt -- plain
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger = (or 1/2 tspn ground ginger)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    Mint sprigs -- for garnish

Combine all ingredients (except sour cream and mint) and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a mint sprig.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 131 Calories; 1g Fat (3.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 55mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Thought it would be a good idea to post a conversion table here on page one, for when you cook.

In "Capacity and Volume" you'll find lots of different meassurements for various countries. As you'll see, there are also other convertions.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/
    Last edited by Randi; 08-17-2004 at 08:41 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, I don't "do" Cauliflower, but keep on sending recipes!

That recipe for the Garlic Soup sounds great, Pauline! I'll have to try that one!!!

Had to add this recipe to this thread to bump it up....and also so I can look the thread over and hopefully get some new ideas for soups. Soup season is here - yipee!!!

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into little pieces
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    2 cups water
    2 tsp chicken bullion granules
    3 tbsp butter
    3 tbsp flour
    ¾ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 cups milk
    4 ounces (1 cup) cheddar cheese

In large saucepan combine cauliflower, carrots celery, water and bullion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

In another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat continuously stirring for 2 minutes or until thick. Reduce heater. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in cauliflower mixture.

Ok, what I do is I use a big can of low sodium chicken broth instead of water. I still add 1 or two bullion cubes to taste. I use frozen veggies. Put broth, veggies and bullion in a pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until veggies are tender.

In the meantime I make a white sauce which you do by mixing equal parts of fat(butter) and flour. So if you use 1/2 cup butter, then you need 1/2 cup flour. I usually end up using an entire stick of butter and end up adding a bit more flour to make it a little thicker. Then I add the white sauce to the soup, stir it in, then add cheese. I usually use a whole bag of cheese because I'm a cheesehead at heart, but I leave a little bit left in the bag to sprinkle over the top when serving.

So, I hope you can decipher between the two of them because the end result is absolutely de-lish-us! And I'm starving right now and wish I had some of this at home to snarf down when I get there!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

If you like Chinese food:

4 cups prepared chicken stock, plus 2 tablespoons (low fat or low sodium is fine)
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 green onions, chopped, including ends (optional garnish)
    Salt and white pepper, to taste

Bring soup stock, grated ginger and soy sauce to a boil. In a small cup, make a slurry by combining the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock. Stir until dissolved. Slowly pour in the cornstarch mixture while stirring the stock, until thickened. Reduce heat to a simmer. Pour in the eggs slowly while stirring the soup in the same direction. The egg will spread and feather. Turn off the heat and add the green onions. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

This is a really good, really simple soup. I usually make it with egg rolls or wontons.

Years ago, I had a delicious pea soup (I think you can call it). Now that it's pea season ... plus I have some frozen ones too, I'd love to try to make this soup. It really was yummy!

So ... do any of you have a good recipe?

My favorite

Shrimp and Corn Soup

1 onion
    1 to 2 pounds shrimp
    1/4 green bell pepper
    1 can whole-kernel corn
    1/4 red bell pepper
    2 cans creamed corn
    1/2 bunch of parsley
    1 can evaporated milk
    2 teaspoonfuls chopped garlic
    1 stick butter
    8 to 10 fresh mushrooms
    2 to 3 strips bacon
    2 to 3 potatoes
    2 capfuls liquid crab boil

The soup takes about half an hour to cook and about half an hour to prepare.

You can use fresh garlic if you like, but the already-chopped garlic available in jars at the store works equally well and is easier. Don't get heavy-handed with the garlic.

Where liquid crab boil is not available, a reasonable substitute can be made from Paul Prudhomme's "Seafood Magic", available at most stores. Put a teaspoon or two in a small jar, add a bit of warm water and mix very thoroughly. If you choose to not use the crab boil (or substitute), it's OK.

Small shrimp, about 70-count or so, are best.

Chop the onion, the bell peppers and the parsley fairly fine. They're supposed to essentially disappear in the soup. Put it all in a bowl together and off to the side.

Slice the mushrooms the same as you might for a salad. Put them in a bowl by themselves and then off to the side

Dice the potatoes. Put them in another bowl and then off to the side, too.

Put a large pot on the stove on a medium heat and then put the butter in it. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped vegetables and the garlic and sauté. Add the bacon about mid-way through the sautéing and, in a few minutes, add the mushrooms. Sauté some more.

Once the vegetables have been rendered, add all of the corn. Once the corn has warmed up, in a couple minutes or so, add the crab boil, the potatoes, the canned milk and about a can of water. Cook for 15 or 20 minutes, 'til it's very nearly at a boil.

While the vegetables are sautéing and, afterwards, while the soup is cooking, peel the shrimp. After the soup has cooked, as stated above, add the shrimp. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.

It's done! Some people add bacon bits on top of a bowl when serving.

Randi,

Gotta try THAT Cauliflower receipe ...... I do "do" Cauliflower ..... (Logan, I liked that comment) ....
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Soup Recipe Thread *As Per Request*

There seems to be quite a few soup lovers here on PT so here is a chance for you all to share your favorite soup recipes. I will start it off with 3 soup recipes and others can follow as they wish.

Let's see those yummy soups.

Chicken & Vegetable Soup

1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds cut into 8 pieces)
    1 large onion (diced)
    1/8 cup of minced garlic
    2 large carrots (diced)
    2 large celery stalks (diced)
    1/2 lb of green beans (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
    1 lb of fresh plum tomatoes (diced)
    1 tsp of oregano
    3 bay leaves
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
    1 cup of grated romano cheese

Rince a large pot and leave the moisture in it. Brown the chicken pieces over medium heat (this brings out the chickens natural oils). Add the onions & garlic and sauté them with the chicken until onions are clear.

Fill the pot one-half full with water. Add the sautéed chicken mixture,carrots, celery and green beans. Bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, salt & pepper. Return to a boil. When it starts to boil again reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove the soup from heat, transfer the chicken pieces to a cutting board, and remove all bones and skin. Shred or chunk chicken (your preference) and then return to pot. Add the frozen peas and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately and top with grated romano cheese if desired.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

Minestrone Soup

1 cup diced onion
    1/8 cup of minced garlic
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1 cup chopped cabbage
    1 cup green beans (cut in 1/2 inch pieces)
    1 cup diced zucchini squash
    3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
    3 celery stalks, diced
    3 carrots, diced
    3 cups of chopped tomatoes with their juices
    8 cups chicken stock
    2 cups of water
    1 tbsp of sage
    1 tbsp fresh basil
    1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
    1 14 oz can of red kidney beans
    1/2 lb (1 box) of egg noodles
    salt & pepper to taste

Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is tender. Add the chopped veggies and tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Transfer to a large pot, add the chicken stock and water, bring to a boil. Add herbs, and reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes. Add the kidney beans and egg noodles, and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

White Bean Soup

1 1/2 lbs of cannellini beans(white kidney beans) cooked and drained. (If you prefer to use canned 1 28 oz can)
    6 cups of chicken broth
    1 large red bell pepper chopped finely
    1 large green bell pepper chopped finely
    1 large onion minced
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1 tbsp basil
    salt & pepper to taste

Purée the beans with the chicken broth and simmer in a large pot over very low heat. In a medium size skillet sauté the red and green peppers, onion and garlic in the olive oil until the pepper are tender. Stir this into puréed beans along with the basil. Salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes and serve.

If you want to spice this soup up minced green chilis with the onions and add to the soup.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Good idea, but there's already a Soup recipe thread here.

Really? Is it from awhile ago or is it recent? I hadn't seen one before. I will have to search for it. Thanks Randi.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica