Thread: Anyone recognize this breed mix?

Anyone recognize this breed mix?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd day at home.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	52266

Tanner adopted me in September 2011. Like most rescues, no one knows his background. The tag on his paperwork just says he is a hound mix. Most people that meet Tanner guess he is part yellow lab and I think the other part is Jack Russell. He has the personality of both dogs; high energy, very inquisitive, smart, bored easily, and just as sweet as he can be. We just affectionately call him our Jack-A-Loupe.

Tanner's story was a sad one.

I lost my beloved Shar Pei / Pitt mix in August after a 3 month battle with Lymphoma. Moroni was the greatest dog I had ever had the privledge to know and I was devestated to lose him at the young age of 8. I was completely heartbroken. About a week later I visited our local SPCA to find out if there was anything I could do in the way of volunteering. That day I met Scooter. Scooter was just hanging out in the lobby of the place and when I got closer I realized that Scooter's hind legs were paralyzed. He was so excited to meet and play and seemed not to have a care in the world. My heart immediately went out to him and I wanted to take him home. I talked with the staff and they told me that Scooter was not adoptable and that he had a home at the SPCA as long as he was of this world. I had this overwhelming need to save a dog (because I could not save Moroni) and thought it very unfair that Scooter could not have a furrever home of his own. I left word for the director that I would be back and that they could call my vet if they needed a recommendation. I called several people because I was so excited about possibly bringing home Scooter. Everyone, including my vet, thought I needed to step back a minute and really think about what bringing home Scooter entailed. The next day I went back and talked to the director who had heard of my visit the day before. She believed the best place for Scooter was with them. He requires 24/7 supervision, needs daily therapy and is incontinent. She suggested that if I really wanted the most desperate dog there, that I should meet Tanner. As she spoke of Tanner, her tears flowed. Tanner was at the SPCA for 1 year and 1 day and this was his very "last" day. She said he was so sweet and that he had to find a home that very second. Without even meeting Tanner, I had her start the paperwork while another associate got Tanner ready to meet me. Boy-o-boy was I unprepared for the gift that just dropped into my life, Heaven sent straight by Moroni.

Apparently Tanner was adopted twice during his time in the pen and returned both times (geesh, he is not a pair of shoes people!). Tanner is said to be two years old. He was at the shelter for half his life and the year before that was assumed hellish. When he came to the SPCA he was near death starved and obviously abused. What dog wouldn't need an extra helping of love, patience and understanding after all that? The first 2 months were definitely a challenge to say the least, the third month I wondered if he would ever really bond with me and by the fouth month, BLISS. I think he finally feels like he has a home, a family, food to eat and unmeasurable love and attention. He still has moments of anxiety but I have learned how to help him through them. He responds well to a calm and soothing voice.

I still (and probably always will) look at him and cannot help but think that he was so close to not being on this planet and what a loss that would have been. It makes me sad for all the dogs that were not so lucky.

More pics of Tanner are in my photo album. I am curious to hear what you all think he may be besides the cutest little critter ever.

I was going to say Tanner is smiling in that photo, but after reading his story, you used the right word: BLISS! Well done adopting Tanner!

Rescue dogs always seem to know a good thing when they land in a nice home. Other dogs sort of take it as their due. It will take time, as you learned, but the bond he will develop with you is so strong, and so different, than from a dog who is a lovely pet all its life. My dogs (and cats!) are all rescues, some coming from good homes and others from sad situations.

I can see Yellow Lab, not the JRT so much. I love those soft tan ears ( is that how he came to be named Tanner? LOL) Please give him a hug from me!

( I must say, you were in a bad place to even think you could manage Scooter. He sounds like a social butterfly and having all the folks in and out at the shelter would be grand to him. Living in a home with just a few folks would be sad for him.)

I totally agree. Lab Jack Russel mix.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Certainly Lab, and JRT seems as likely as anything! Congrats on adopting this sweet boy!
    I've Been Frosted

Do you have any more pics of him? He looks too big to have JRT in him.. I would say Lab/Pointer just by that picture.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Blog Entries
    Tanner is so so lucky to have you as his owner. He looks like he has some lab in him. What a wonderful person you are & I so sorry to read about Moroni.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

More Tanner pics

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Do you have any more pics of him? He looks too big to have JRT in him.. I would say Lab/Pointer just by that picture.

Name:	Profile pic.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	52309

Name:	Oct 10 2011.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	52310

Thank you for your reply. I have attached two more pics but it they don't come through on the thread, I have a photo album on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsrule View Post

Name:	Profile pic.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	52309

Name:	Oct 10 2011.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	52310

Thank you for your reply. I have attached two more pics but it they don't come through on the thread, I have a photo album on this site.
    We see them! If you click, they get bigger! Definitely mostly Lab!
    I've Been Frosted

Definetly lab and I also see JRT. I would have said maybe beagle since he was said to be part hound but the ears aren't floppy enough to be both lab and beagle.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

He is adorable! Mostly lab but JRT is definitely there in his face. What a sweet story, so glad you rescued Tanner.

I'm sorry your Moroni died. Good for you for adopting Tanner. I think I see Lab and I dont know what else. He reminds me a little of my Annie who came to the house 6 yrs ago. The vet said she is a Lab mix so I think I see Lab in your Tanner. I hope you two are together a long time.

Of course, I see lab, but that nose and those eyes are NOT saying JRT to me. I can't put my finger on it, though. Maybe I'll look at my dog book and get back to you.

Aren't shelter pets the best? Bless you, and bless Tanner!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Yay for you and Tanner!!

From the shape of his head and his feet, he looks Greyhound. But since he is smaller....maybe Whippet?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Love your pics

I just LOVE the picture with his tail all blurred because he's wagging it! I would say his breed is...
    BEAUTIFUL DOG!