Thread: Need Help with New Sheltie

Need Help with New Sheltie

I am a brand new dog owner. Yesterday I bought a 20 week old Sheltie from a breeder in my town. Since I have brought him home (1.5 days ago) he has only urinated twice. Both times were in the house and while he was lying down. He literally urinated on himself. I'm a bit perplexed. I have taken him outside to the backyard dozens of times since I got him but he shows no interest in relieving himself out there. Anyone have any ideas here. Thanks.

I'm more concerned that he's not peeing enough!! Is he drinking well?? At 5 months old he should already have a regular potty schedule established. I would first called the breeder and explain the problem to her/him and ask if the pup had been potty trained, if he had ever exhibited this type of behavior before, etc. Did you see his housing at the breeders? I'm wondering if he was kept crated and left to eliminate in his "house," not knowing what it means to be taken out to pee. I would then call the vet to have him checked to make sure there is nothing physically wrong with him. He might have an infection. Has he had his first visit to the vets' yet? You should take him for a well doggie check up, regardless. Congratulations on your new addition. What's his name?? Try not to worry. He's probably just getting adjusted to his new surroundings and schedule! Let us know how it goes!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I agree with Sandra - call the breeder, ask about how he was before, take him to the vet for a good first check-up and mention this, and hopefully it's just adjustment jitters and he'll be fine. Is he drinking enough? Eating well?

What's his name? What color(s) is he?

How exciting, and congratulations! Your life will never be the same! (And that's a good thing)

I did call the breeder and she thought he might be a little nervous. He did seem very timid when I brought him home but has definitely started to "loosen" up. He was staying with family members of the breeder I believe and he definitely has been crate trained. He will go into his crate without much coaxing and doesnt bark or whimper to get out. Right now Ive only kept him in there when Im out (1-2hrs at a time) or at night. He has been drinking and eating pretty well so far but just doesnt seem to want to relieve himself outside. I soaked up his last mess with a newspaper and placed it on another pile of papers to see if that would help but no luck yet. The breeder is at a dog show this weekend but Im going to call her again later with an update.

BTW he is sable & white and his name is Marley

My dog is a year old, so she should have more bladder control than a 5 month old. But she did the same thing when we first brought her home a few weeks ago. She would only pee outside as she'd spent her whole life outside, but she wouldn't go very often... like twice in the first two days and she only pooped once. She didn't eat the first day either which may explain some of it, but I think she was just nervous. Now she goes about 5 times a day (not sure how often when she's in the backyard while we're away) and she poops at least once a day. But she still will only go in our yard... never on walks.
    Susie's Mom

FYI, Marley has started to "go" more regularly now. He seems to be housebroken because he walked out to the backyard 3 times today to do his business and no mistakes inside so far on day 3. He has also gotten alot more playful and less timid. I even taught him the sit command today. He's starting to grow on me.... I guess I panicked as a new dog owner but thanks for the responses and all the advice. BTW I did make an appointment with the vet just for a checkup and to make sure.