Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm such a hypocrite - and a coward...

I'm such a hypocrite - and a coward...

I'm feeling terrible right now and I'm disgusted with myself. You will feel the same about me after reading my story.

It's about my neighbors (yes, those in the house next to me who have these loud kids). I cannot stand them, especially since I was always suspecting they do not treat their pets very well - yet I had no proof. The situation is even more complicated as they are related to a family I'm befriended with (my former co-worker's family, they are living in the same house with me, one floor down). My co-worker and the mother of these horrible kids in the neighborhouse are sisters.

The family in the neighbor house has guinea pigs. Four of them, living in two wooden cages (those that people use for rabbits, etc.). They are placed in the garden, leaning against a fence, with no protection from wind and cold. Right now, it's very cold, -20°C the other night (which is -4°F). A few nights ago, I heard the guinea pigs screaming. I googled and learned that they can stand cold pretty well (as they are originally from the Andes) and that it's not good for them to be put into warm rooms when they're usually kept outdoors. But it was also recommended to put them to a place that protects them from wind, and the worst cold. This, however, didn't happen, so I called my vet for further advice. She said there wasn't much I could do, maybe calling the district veterinary office, or the regulatory authorities, but usually, they wouldn't do much. So, I did nothing....

And tonight, my co-worker's hubby (who cannot stand his brother-in-law) told me that two of the guinea pigs have died. Apparently, these horrible people removed the water bottles as the water has been constantly freezing, so they probably died of thirst. According to my co-worker's hubby, our neighbors have claimed that it's enough for guinea pigs to eat green stuff in the winter, that's how they would get all the fluid they need. I don't know much about guinea pigs, so I don't know if this is true, but obviously it's not.

I'm furious, but I also feel guilty, I feel if I had done anything, I could have saved them. And what about the two that are (hopefully) still alive? Can I do anything to save them? Like going down into their garden tonight and steal them? Like I said, it's a difficult situation as they are part of my co-worker's family, and reporting them could ruin my peace here in this neighbor forever, but how could I dare to call myself an animal lover who cares for animals rights, if I put my fear of a neighborhood war over the wellbeing of some helpless creatures? Tonight, this one quote came to my mind, and it's so very true:

All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

I'm such a coward. And I need to do something about it. But sometimes I wish I wasn't so alone...

But you did two things. you searched on the Internet and called your vet. I don't see how you could bring the two remaining ones into your house with Lily and Luna; what if they have health issues? You couldn't risk making your cats sick. That might also create more conflict between you and the neighbors. Maybe the regional authority would take action, since the weather has been so cold. It sounds to me like the only other thing you can do is urge them to take their pets indoors.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Maybe ask if you could give them some water, as long as it is warm from being in the house, and maybe spike it with a little juice so they drink more. The poor piggies! Sure they are from the Andes, but even there, the wild pigs seek shelter from the wind and cold, and hide between rocks and stuff to be protected from the elements.
    I've Been Frosted

Since I do no longer speak to these people, I don't think they would let me enter their territory to bring water for the piggies, nor would they listen to me if I'd urge them to take them indoors; they can be real bitches if they feel you're butting in their business. But I just had a long telephone call with a woman who's doing a lot of rescue work. Unfortunately not in my area, but she sent me a link concerning the treatment of guinea pigs, and recommened to call the vetenary office tomorrow. If I'm lucky, they'll interfere; if they don't, there isn't much I can do. It's true that I cannot steal them, not only because of Luna and Lily, but also because it's theft, and that would get me into real trouble. The law wouldn't be on my side, no matter how good my intentions might have been.

Geez, sometimes I really hate people!

You are neither a hypocrite nor a coward, you are doing everything you can for these piggies!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you, Karen, but if I had done something a few days ago, I may have saved the two little ones... Maybe I would have done something if I had known they removed the water... (How cruel and stupid can people be to do such a thing? )

But you didn't know, and there's no way you could have known. Hopefully they will not get more to replace the two that died!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh My! You have quite a dilemma. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Hopefully the vet office will send someone out to investigate. I agree that some people are just plain stupid or don't care and should not have pets.

It seems you are really limited as to what you can do. Over here a person can call
    to report animal neglect or abuse to the local authorities without giving your name.
    They can check it out & take action if necessary. Don't be too hard on yourself, you
    are trying to do the right thing.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kirsten, I agree with lizbud, you're doing everything you can right now. Don't beat yourself up over things like this, unfortunately there is always so much we WANT to do, but not exactly much we can depending on the circumstances. Please keep us updated on the situation. I hope those poor piggies are going to be OK and I hope the other are at peace and warm now.

Kirsten, don't beat yourself up over this.

And I thought backwards South Carolina was bad. Even Sc has noise ordinances and protection for animals. Right now some people are trying to make it illegal to tie your dog out in the yard. If you own a pet dog or cat, it needs to be indoors or roaming free on your property. I'm not sure we'll be successful, but ti's a start..
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Just called the vetenary office in our district town, and they'll send someone to look after them. As my neighbors were all out of the house this morning, I went down to check the cages, and they still had no water. I saw one piggy that was still alive, no idea re. the other one.

Feeling really bad right now...
    Last edited by Kirsten; 02-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.

I'm really sorry you have to witness your neighbors cruel neglect of animals, and I hope the vetenary office in your district will do something about it. I can see the dilemma you're in... if they find out you have reported them, there'll be war. These people don't seem to have many brain cells to shift around and they should not be allowed to have animals at all!

Don't beat yourself up, Kirsten - you're in situation where you can't do much and it's so frustrating, I know. You can always hope they move soon.
    Last edited by Randi; 02-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh Kirsten, I am so sorry you have to watch this going on before your eyes and not be able to step right in and rescue the little babies. What a heartbreaking, nightmarish situation to be in.

God bless you for caring so much and for calling the vet office. Maybe, thanks to you, something will be done to help the surviving piggies, and maybe these dirtbags can be prevented from getting ahold of any other animals to abuse.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats

P.S., have you seen today's Cat of the Day yet? - another German kitty named Lilly!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks for your support, Randi and Pat. Sorry for not replying sooner, but I've been dealing with a very bad migraine yesterday.

Still feeling bad about the entire thing, and I don't know if anything has happened yet. From what I've heard, there's been some talk in the neighborhood for a while, re. the way this family treats their animals. But they all have this "it's a great story to gossip about but in the end, it's none of our business"-attitude, which I find very upsetting at the moment. They all know what's going on, but decided to do nothing...

PS: Pat, yes, I've seen her. She's beautiful!