Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you hold a grudge?

Do you hold a grudge?

Both my husband and a good friend at work (also male) are champs at holding grudges. Personally, I think it is a waste of time and energy. You have to do something really horrible for me to stay mad for more than a month or so, I just don't see the point...I have talked to some friends and have un-scientifically decided it is a guy thing. The females all seem to react as I do, flash, burn, move on. But the guys? OH NO! It is now written in stone forever and ever....

So I'm curious how other PTers feel...

I do not. And luckily neither does my boyfriend. We can argue or disagree, but then it's over and done and we move on with life. Usually if we are arguing one of us will eventually make the other laugh, so that helps too.
    But even with other people I tend to not really hold grudges. I guess if you did something REALLY horrible I would.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I think I have the opposite problem. I swallow things that would be appropriate for me to get angry about, and I get mad about things I should probably let go. I have one that I have carried for a really long time, and that I'll probably never let go of.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

You have to treat me pretty bad time and time again for me to hold a grudge. and even then, the grudge won't last forever.

I have a couple coworkers who hold grudges forever. We work sales, so it can get pretty messy when someone sells a customer that someone else worked with. One coworker remembers EVERY slight that has happened inthe past 4 years. He'll list customer name, their invoice number, and what they bought. ITs pretty sad that he won't let it go.

Another coworker tends to skip out of rotation (we take customers in a revolving order so that we all end up with the same number of opportunities) and she constantly ends up out of order. Yet when we point it out, she gets grumpy and won't talk to any of us for DAYS. Really? She's the one who did wrong! Yesterday was deadly quiet because two people were fighting over a sale, she was upset we told her about going out of rotation. The manager and I had a fun time laughing and entertaining ourselves while the others held their grudges.

99% of the time, no I don't hold a grudge. Cancer taught me that it is a waste of energy and time. However the one exception is my step-sister. She was champion at verbal abuse when I was growing up. I know it's been decades, but in the past I've tried to reconnect, but it's just not there. It's been over 10 years since I've seen her and that's just fine with me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Slick, it is funny that you mention that. I think the one grudge I do hold is against my oldest sister. There are 6 of us in the family (I'm the baby) and the rest of us have agreed that evidently she lived a completely different life than we did. She has made some comments about my parents that I will honestly never forgive or forget. So I guess I do know how to hold a grudge. The fact that she lives on the other coast makes it easy, no contact.

I do not hold grudges. Life is too short.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

If you do hold a grudge, grab it by the scruff of the neck, that way it cannot rear back and bite you....

---------------

It is a 'guy' thing.

We'd rather yell or punch each other out and get it over with. These days you can go to jail for just mad-dogging a person, so we carry grudges.

Not generally but if someone screws me over I don't give them a second chance.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I once heard a saying like "Holding a grudge is like renting space in your heard to a tenant you don't like who's never gonna pay the bill!" I do not hold grudges, never had a cause to. Are there people I don't care if I never hear from again? Sure, but I don't think about them, or bear them any ill will.
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Not generally but if someone screws me over I don't give them a second chance.
    I always give someone a second chance. But, I draw the line at a third.

My sister "went off" on me a few years ago and blamed me for practically everything except global warming. A few days later, I called her and she said that she needed to speak to me. She told me that someone had told her that she owed me an apology. I waited. She didn't say anything else so I guess that was my apology.

Two years ago, I took her out for her birthday. She went off on me again and this time threw my mother and brother under the bus. She deliberately tried to damage/sabotage my relationship with them. I'm done waiting for an explanation and/or apology. She is no longer a part of my life.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

No, I really don't have that time or energy. I can get very upset with someone who does something really horrid but I tend to just let it out and blow off steam. I do let the person know my feelings and just get on with things. I never stay mad at anyone longer than a day...only one thing will make me stay mad and I usually just try to keep it out of my mind when all is said and done.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Yes. I kinda have a big problem with it. I don't know why I just can't let stuff go.

I was in flyball YEARS ago. A guy hit my dog, and I got really upset and left right away. I e-mailed them later and they all said he didn't hit my dog, and I'm probably not cut out for flyball. I still get angry thinking about it. Lots more things as well. I really wish I could let it go, I waste so much energy thinking about things I can't do anything about.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't normally hold a grudge, but of course there are exceptions to every rule. If a person, by their words or deeds, causes harm of any form to another, then that is unforgivable. I have 2 such individuals in my life that have done precisely that, and they will never be forgiven for the untold misery that they caused, and as far as I'm concerned, they don't exist. And no - my ex isn't one of them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yeah.. I hold grudges against "some" people, but, otherwise, mostly I forgive and forget...well, I try my best to People who are I see a lot in my life, I usually don't hold grudges against them, but, people I don't get to meet much, it's easy holding grudges against them, but, I still try not to. People who I see a lot, they do some stuff that makes me feel like hating them, but, then, somewhere they do something that makes me happy and I forgive them. So, well, in conclusion, no I try not to hold grudges. I've kind of stopped holding grudges after I heard "Life's too short for holding grudges" (Thank You pomtzu for that! )