Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your opinion on dog parks?

We don't have any dog parks around here but I don't think I would take my dogs. I guess it would depend on how well it was run or monitored. We have no doggie day cares that are set up for socializing either. The only hting we do have is Petsmart and I do take mine there sometimes but I'm not keen on that because of how dirty the floors are. I do like to meet other people and their dogs and so does my dog so once in a while I give in. What really bothers me is that they have cleaning stations every few feet but some people pretend they don't notice if their dog has an accident on the floor and just walk away and leave it. And these are not pups, really never understood how grwon dogs could just soil on the floor like that. The employees then have to wipe it up and they do spray the floor with disinfectant but I still worry about my dog picking up something. Our dogs are generally exercised in trails, living in the country we are never short of those. They love to run free and sniff everything in the bush.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

This was just shared on another dog forum I participate in. I immediately thought of this thread, as it makes it so clear that you MUST be aware and on your toes at all times. Even after you've been a few times! Sorry, a bit long, but I think she wrote it up well:

Dog Park Scary Moments: [ that was HER title in the other forum, not something I put to 'scare' ya!]
    I really want to share this story to show the risk of going to a dog park. It's not always a bad thing but I always warn people to use them at their own risk. Feel free to share any moments you may have had at a park.

Rummy is the first dog I have ever owned who I feel comfortable taking to the dog park. He is respectful of other dogs and plays nicely. He will never start a fight and if something does happens he's the first to retreat from the situation. Doesn't have a mean bone in him. Not much of an issue and we go at least a couple times a week. It's a hidden park and usually there are the same dogs we see each time with the same owners. I know there is always a risk each time I go of something going wrong so I am usually always on my guard and am developing a good recall with Rummy to call him off of anything. Today just was not that kind of day.

We walked around the park, usual dogs in the park with a couple I didn't recognize. I let Rummy in, they sniffed each other then I let him off the leash. He ran over to a new dog who was on a leash with a lady. The leashed dog started lashing out towards Rummy trying to attack him, trying to attack the lady. Rummy didn't fight back but cowered down enough that I pulled him away before anything could happen. The lady yelled out "Hold your dog back!". Then she walked out with the dog. A younger kid followed her out.

It turned out the dog was not hers. It was an unsupervised 10 year old boy who came in the park with his friends and didn't know his dog was dog reactive. The dog was a young female Pit Bull. I don't have a problem with Pits but it was obvious this kid didn't know anything about his own dog. The lady was a very experanced dog walker who steped in earlyer to stop another fight with the same dog that had just happened moments before I arrived. I did not see it when I first got there and was unawair of what I had walked into. She spent a good amount of time talking to the kid outside of the fenced in area, telling him not to bring his dog back. Then came back in. I was still shaken up and apploigized for letting my dog approach the dog. She said I did nothing wrong but warned me to watch for something like the hard staring the dog was doing. I regret not seeing that when I steped in. She then filled me in on what had happend, said it is a learning process. No one was hurt thankfully but yikes it could have been worse. I will still go back there but I hope that kid never brings that dog back.

I don't know any doggie daycares who let the owners just take their dogs there to play and the owners stay the whole time. Don't you just drop your dogs off with strangers? I would NEVER let my dogs go to a doggie daycare and play under the supervision of strangers, especially if the ratio is like one or two workers to a roomful of dogs.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    This was just shared on another dog forum I participate in. I immediately thought of this thread, as it makes it so clear that you MUST be aware and on your toes at all times. Even after you've been a few times! Sorry, a bit long, but I think she wrote it up well:

Dog Park Scary Moments: [ that was HER title in the other forum, not something I put to 'scare' ya!]
    I really want to share this story to show the risk of going to a dog park. It's not always a bad thing but I always warn people to use them at their own risk. Feel free to share any moments you may have had at a park.

Rummy is the first dog I have ever owned who I feel comfortable taking to the dog park. He is respectful of other dogs and plays nicely. He will never start a fight and if something does happens he's the first to retreat from the situation. Doesn't have a mean bone in him. Not much of an issue and we go at least a couple times a week. It's a hidden park and usually there are the same dogs we see each time with the same owners. I know there is always a risk each time I go of something going wrong so I am usually always on my guard and am developing a good recall with Rummy to call him off of anything. Today just was not that kind of day.

We walked around the park, usual dogs in the park with a couple I didn't recognize. I let Rummy in, they sniffed each other then I let him off the leash. He ran over to a new dog who was on a leash with a lady. The leashed dog started lashing out towards Rummy trying to attack him, trying to attack the lady. Rummy didn't fight back but cowered down enough that I pulled him away before anything could happen. The lady yelled out "Hold your dog back!". Then she walked out with the dog. A younger kid followed her out.

It turned out the dog was not hers. It was an unsupervised 10 year old boy who came in the park with his friends and didn't know his dog was dog reactive. The dog was a young female Pit Bull. I don't have a problem with Pits but it was obvious this kid didn't know anything about his own dog. The lady was a very experanced dog walker who steped in earlyer to stop another fight with the same dog that had just happened moments before I arrived. I did not see it when I first got there and was unawair of what I had walked into. She spent a good amount of time talking to the kid outside of the fenced in area, telling him not to bring his dog back. Then came back in. I was still shaken up and apploigized for letting my dog approach the dog. She said I did nothing wrong but warned me to watch for something like the hard staring the dog was doing. I regret not seeing that when I steped in. She then filled me in on what had happend, said it is a learning process. No one was hurt thankfully but yikes it could have been worse. I will still go back there but I hope that kid never brings that dog back.
    That's scary, but all too common in the Pit Bull world. Owners are stupid and don't know their dogs. This is why you learn to read body language and why you're never supposed to take a Pit bull to a dog park. They are prone to dog aggression, and it's not their fault, it's the owner's for being an idiot.

I'm glad this person's dog wasn't hurt... I could smack the Pit Bull's owner and the woman handling it!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I don't know any doggie daycares who let the owners just take their dogs there to play and the owners stay the whole time. Don't you just drop your dogs off with strangers? I would NEVER let my dogs go to a doggie daycare and play under the supervision of strangers, especially if the ratio is like one or two workers to a roomful of dogs.
    Yes, you drop your dogs off. It's the exact same concept as child daycare.

While that's your choice and feelings of it, many people (including me, and yeah granted I work at one but I would have taken Mikey to one anyway) will and do take their dogs to doggie daycares. Surprisingly, alot of owners take their dogs to daycares because they want them to be more comfortable with other dogs and people, especially the puppies and younger dogs, and it truthfully works wonders. They're also great for dogs that have separation anxiety and boredom issues if their owners aren't home alot. It's a safe place for the dogs to play completely supervised. I am not saying they're are not fights, because there are. But that's a risk of any situation involving alot of dogs. Not to mention, the dogs have an "interview" to see if this is the right environment for them to be in.

Sowa,
    Just try a quick google search. I'm not sure where you are in CA but there are bound to be SOME around.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    Yes that is the point of daycare - care for the day while you work or travel. OR have a doctor's appt. Just like daycare for kids.

I could smack the Pit Bull's owner and the woman handling it!
    The woman stepped in to get the dog under control, and was still doing that from the prior incident before removing it from the park when Rommy and owner entered.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

The woman stepped in to get the dog under control, and was still doing that from the prior incident before removing it from the park when Rommy and owner entered.
    Oops, I read that wrong and was completely confused then. Kudos to her for stepping in before a fight broke out, but one, why did she have to control the ten year old's dog? And second, who lets their 10 year old take a Pit Bull to a dog park? Brennan is strong enough to pull ME down, so I can't imagine how a ten year old kid could walk a Pit Bull and control it...
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I was a little upset today when I took Clover to the dog park. As SOON as she entered the area 2 dogs charged up to her and began chasing her around barking non stop. She looks scared, and they just kept chasing her so I called her to me and she came and tried to hide behind me. The 2 dogs kept at her so I pushed them away and told them to get back. The owner came up at this point and pulled them away, I'm assuming he was annoyed I pushed his dog away cause he didn't apologize.. He let the dogs go again and they went right back to her and did the same over again. I was annoyed/upset and was just going to leave but he grabbed them and left first. You'd think he'd say sorry, clearly I was upset about this. What would cause the dogs to do this? Clover isn't dominant at all. She had her tail between her legs. There were other dogs there they didn't bother.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Hi, I didnt want you to think I was ignoring your thread. I have no knowledge of dog parks. I live in the country on several acres & Annie runs free all the time & she is stays mainly in the yard area unless she is walking with us. LilGirl goes outside on a LEASH 99.8% of the time. If she is off leash, believe me, I am with her. She does not go out alone... ever. Stray dogs could come by or an eagle (some at a lake 10 miles away) might grab her.

If I had to go to a dog park, I dont know who would be more concerned: my dogs or me. I know I would be fearful that some dog would hurt my dog... just the way I am. I probably would not go to a dog park myself. I'm a fan of little dogs with the exception of Annie whom I know personally & I know she is a sweet girl. However, I dont know how she would be with other dogs her size. I do know she does not like to see any other dog in her territory except LilGirl of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I was a little upset today when I took Clover to the dog park. As SOON as she entered the area 2 dogs charged up to her and began chasing her around barking non stop. She looks scared, and they just kept chasing her so I called her to me and she came and tried to hide behind me. The 2 dogs kept at her so I pushed them away and told them to get back. The owner came up at this point and pulled them away, I'm assuming he was annoyed I pushed his dog away cause he didn't apologize.. He let the dogs go again and they went right back to her and did the same over again. I was annoyed/upset and was just going to leave but he grabbed them and left first. You'd think he'd say sorry, clearly I was upset about this. What would cause the dogs to do this? Clover isn't dominant at all. She had her tail between her legs. There were other dogs there they didn't bother.
    This happens all the time at work when a new dog enters one of the play-yards. I figure it's just because the dog is "new" to the scene and they feel the need to check it out. It stops after a minute or two.

Yes, it was "check out the new kid" time, as long as they were just barking, there's not much to worry about. Pay attention to their body language as well, were tails up and wagging? How were their ears? Clover will pick up on your emotions, so next time, as long as it's normal greeting stand your ground, and show her it's okay, so she doesn't learn to be more afraid, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

I know I over react and worry about her. They didn't seem to be playing though. No wagging tails, just non stop barking one on each side of her. They chased her around for a while before she came to me. Normally even if I think the dog is mean to her she'll just keep playing if it's not bothering her. The guy pulled them off and let them go again after a minute and they ran right for her and started again. I'd really like to learn dog behavior so I can understand what's playing and whats picking on

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

It sounds like this guy had some very rude dogs, poorly trained around other dogs besides each other. Typical of dogs who have been raised together since puppies. Its kind of pack mentality but neither pack member is aggressive enough to start a fight, they're just putting on the show of dominance together. I have a neighbor who has two pugs who do the same thing to Autumn except he's working with them. If they were not going too far from their owner and you had a big enough park you probably could have walked far enough away from them that they'd go on to some other dog to harass. Pack dogs are the worst, even if they aren't aggressively attacking, I avoid people with a tight-knit pack at the park.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Not for me.

I would personally never take my dogs to the dog park here. There is no separate area for small dogs, and I have small, fragile dogs. I also have five dogs, they have their own little play group, and a fenced yard. Not worth this risk at all, to me.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I avoid them at all cost. Too many things can go wrong. There are far too many idiots out there that have trouble getting through life themselves never mind being able to control their dogs.