Thread: Local retailer selling puppies...the power of the people

Local retailer selling puppies...the power of the people

In November, a pet store opened up down the street from me. The store has 30-45 puppies on site, at each of its 3 Ohio locations, and probably 15 or so breeds. It is a commercial breeder, from its own breeding facility in Northern Ohio (I live in Southern Ohio) and from breeders around the state. Keep in mind, Ohio has the distinction of being one of the worst puppy mill states. We are joined by Pennsylvania and Missouri. Great group to be a part of, Amish Country, thanks so much!

Anyhow, we protested this puppy store from November through the end of the year, trying to educate the public during one of its prime selling season. I think we did some good.

Last night, I got an email that someone shopped at our local grocery (big chain), and saw an ad for this puppy store on the grocery cart, where you sit the child. It is a typical space, here, for advertising. These two stores are less than a half mile from each other. A group of us said, "No way...". We FB'd it, we emailed far and wide, we called the corporate office, we called the store, we stopped in and spoke to the manager. We heard some excuses at first from corporate about the advertising contract, honoring its terms, "we don't endorse the store", etc. It was quite a tiring day, really, with all the activity behind the scenes.

About an hour ago, I got a call from the manager of the store- all ads will be removed tonight. 24 hours after our first effort to bring attention to this. 24 hours! The manager said that the level of teamwork and persistence, against a fortune 500 company, was impressive, and it was proof positive that we can make a difference when we join together.

AWESOME! And thank you super market store.

We are still working on the store itself.

Keep going, educate educate educate! We picketed and got the store that was supposed to launch a new "chain" of puppy stores closed, when they had the nerve to try to open it an hour from ME! They closed and cancelled plans for the chain, although that may be them trying it again, just in a different place ...
    I've Been Frosted

This chain of stores is sneaky. They got in right under our radar, literally, right down the street from my house. I posted this on FB, and was surprised that some people really don't know where pet shop pets come from. Reputable breeders do not sell their puppies to pet shops, people.

Anything we can do to help, let us know! Any radio stations, local newspapers, local television stations - contact them all individually, as chances are there will be someone on staff who is an animal lover, and they always need compelling "human interest" stories! I would even be willing to go on any radio show if they want someone to call in, as of course am hosting a show now on AllPawsPetTalk and have that as well as this website to add oomph to my statements!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm happy to say that our city passed a law about 10 yrs ago that no cats or dogs could be sold in pet stores.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Great job!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Major Kudos to you and the grocery market manager. I hope with little more effort you can bring down the store itself.

Never say die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Good for you. We had a dog selling store move in to the area a few years ago and it was the first store selling dogs in the area in almost two decades. It lasted 10 months before closing. There were protesters out daily.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Awesome!!!! This seriously makes me SO happy!

Congratulations people. Celebrate the power of people united.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

This is great news. I remember when I lived in S.C., I used to enjoy visiting pet stores because they had very cute puppies for sale. I was just a young girl and I had never even heard of puppy mills back then. I'm so glad that people are becoming much more educated about this. I know that where I live, there are no longer pet stores that sell puppies. There are only cats up for adoption through rescue groups and sometimes rescue groups will bring dogs and puppies to certain pet stores that are up for adoption too.