Thread: Nika- the horse I've been riding

Nika- the horse I've been riding

I haven't really had any lessons since the clinic I did in fall, but I've been riding Nika at least once a week, usually more since about September. She is a teenage ex-broodmare who my barn owner bought three years ago because they owned one of her foals and liked what she produced. She's had one foal since they've owned her and now she's pretty much retired from breeding. She was barely broke three years ago and I can remember when cantering was a big deal still. Now she still gets very excited and fast but we can keep it in control and she is jumping courses fine. I haven't jumped since November since I ride on my own and we have a rule of no jumping outside of lessons, which I think is a good idea when it comes to safety.

After riding we usually wander around the arena bareback. Today since we were alone I took off her bridle in the arena to see if she wanted to wander alone but she just followed me right to the gate.

She has a fatty tumor on her neck that doesn't really effect her except make her a little less willing to bend to the right.

She also doesn't like treats. I keep trying to give her peppermints and treats but the only thing she'll take is apple slices. At least that means she's not pushy!

I know in the spring when my barn starts playing host to many exchange students I won't get to ride her whenever I want anymore and I'll pretty much have to go back to taking lessons if I want to ride her at all. Sometimes I wish I could just buy or lease her but I can't afford it at the moment!

Niņo & Eliza

Awww, hi, pretty Nika! I have an apple in my kitchen I'll share with you ....
    I've Been Frosted

Nika's a pretty horse! She looks so sweet.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Aw! Lovely horsie! Wish I could ride it!

What a beautiful horse you are Nika!

She's been ridden quite regularly by me and the barn's working student, so when I went out today I just sorted her mane and tail, lunged her, then I got on to walk and a little slow trot. She's coldbacked so I don't push it bareback.

Niņo & Eliza

She is such a pretty color! Nika, I have an apple left over from lunch that I would be happy to share with you
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678