Thread: How much to pay the cat sitter?

How much to pay the cat sitter?

While I'm traveling my cat will be staying with someone at their house. It might be two weeks, but hope I will be successful on my Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike and it will be more like 6-7 months. I will supply all her supplies (litter box, litter, food, bowls, medication, etc) so it should not cost her anything. I'll make arrangements for paying for the vet if that should arise. She will have to give Kinsey her thyroid medication every day, clip her nails, clean her ears at least once a month or so. Has anyone had this experience and can give me an idea what would be a fair monetary compensation? I have not inquired about the cost of a professional pet sitter because Kinsey will not be staying in home. I figure that since it will be for such a long time, she will be better off staying with her in her home. Or to keep all options open, has anyone ever hired a professional pet sitter for long term care? Thanks for any ideas!

I would say 15-20 dollars a day as that would be what a Vet Clinic would charge and Kinsey would not be in a cage.
    I think that My Found Cats would not care for that at all.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Wow, what an adventure! No advice on cost, I am sure it varies place to place, but wanted to wish you luck on your hike!
    I've Been Frosted

We have a wonderful cat sitter; her rates are:

$18 per day (short term - first 14 days)
    $16 per day (long term - next 14 days)
    $375 per month (extended stay)

That includes pickup and delivery; vet visits (if necessary) grooming, medication and lots of hugs and cuddles
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Hello, I have no advice about payment. I just wanted to say that I sure hope you find a very nice caring responsible person to be with your cat for such a long time. I'm sure Kinsey will miss you. IMO I think it would be best for Kinsey to be in own home but that might not work out. Good Luck!

I'm editing to say... I think cat would be better in own home WITH the cat sitter who lives there. I didnt mean to leave the cat in house by itself for months on end with someone popping in. So, if you cant find someone who wants to live at your place, then I think cat would be better off with cat sitter at his/her place.
    Last edited by kaycountrygal; 01-28-2012 at 03:04 PM.

I also have no advice on payment. Now see, I would say Kinsey WILL do better relocating as it is such a long term. Six or 7 months for a cat to live alone is much too long; my 4 cats had a hard time when I traveled for 3 weeks once! I had 2 different folks stop in daily (one morning, one night) and I had the clock radio set to come on for an hour once a day. I think it is great that you are planning for her like this. It wasn't clear to me if you already have someone lined up or not. I would just discuss with the person and see what she thinks is proper.

You (and she) need to know it takes a cat 2 weeks to adjust to a new home setting, so she should not worry if Kinsey hides often at the beginning.

Would love to hear more about your A. Trail hike as well, awesome!

Thanks, all for your help. I can use this as a guide. I had first thought of a house sitter, but in the end it just made me feel uneasy. I think if it works out with my hairdresser's sister, it will be better for Kinsey and I will be at ease knowing that she is being cared for well. One thing I've found out in my research is that's it's important to have all your affairs in order so that your thoughts and worries aren't drawn to home and you can concentrate on the huge task at hand. Thanks for your best wishes for my endeavor. It's now or never as I'm 59 and will turn 60 on the trail.