Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brennan's Trip to the Pet Store - Need Some Advice

Brennan's Trip to the Pet Store - Need Some Advice

Well, I've been working on socializing Brennan, and last weekend we took him to Petco and Petsmart. He was a good boy in Petco, there weren't too many things to distract him, until he saw another dog . We were in the check out line though, so I was able to get him out of the store.

Okay, round two, we head to Petsmart. We're talking to this couple about their dogs (they happen to have a Pit Bull and a Pom!) and Brennan is being good, he actually laid down in the floor on his side and was just hanging out there like a very good boy. And then he saw another dog... He yowled like it was the end of the freakin' world and like he was DYING. He wanted to get to the other dog to say hi, play with them, whatever. There wasn't any threat within him with his actions, he just REALLY gets excited over other dogs. So, does anyone have any advice? What can I do to keep him from having a freakin' conniption fit when he sees another dog? He was EXCELLENT, and he's doing really well with his prong collar (got it to keep him from pulling on his leash, because he's a BAD puller), but he's still not making much progress with not freaking out over other dogs...

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. We've been invited to a Pit Bull adoption event tomorrow and I'd love to take him, but if he's going to make a fool out of himself, I'm not so sure if I want to take him!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Our beagle does that when he gets excited or bored at auctions. We usually gently but firmly hold his mouth shut and say NO. You can try giving him treats for being quiet.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Hmm, I'm not really sure. What I'm doing with Clover is at home I'm teaching her to look at me. I started off just if she looked up at me for a sec on her own, click and treat. I taught her watch me from there to get her attention. I also call her name randomly through the day and click and treat if she looks at me so she learns her name means look at me. Basically a lot of focus work. We are starting to do this outside. Start off with less distraction and work your way up as he gets better. I really don't know if that will work when he's so excited but maybe if you can find something he really loves like a treat or toy you can keep him from getting to that level of excitement. Like if you see a dog coming, start working with him before he sees it or try to get him to play with his toy (or whatever he likes best).

I'm really not sure though, sorry I can't be more help! Be sure to keep us up to date, I'd love to know how you get it to work for you. (So I can do it too! )

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I have this problem with Zoee. Only she raises the hair on her back and that is NOT okay. Yet if she approaches the dog she is totally fine with them.

Anyway, the suggestions Sowa gave were great. I volunteered in a leash reactive class and that is how they did it. Then you start going out into the big bad world very slowly. You want to go somewhere that you will not come face to face with a dog right off the bat. Go to a park or a place where are dogs far away. Do the look/treat method. Gradually (over days) move closer to the distraction always treating. Then only treat every other time and so on so eventually you can eliminate the treats. To get to that point could take months. Be consistent! That's the key and that's what I am not. But I have seen it work with other dogs.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I suggest you take group obedience classes with Brennan. You can find a place near you using this:
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/ts/default.aspx

You want a place that teaches positive reinforcement training.

Yes, distract and refocus on you, even if it make you feel silly. And I agree, bribes with a bit of treat or a toy (if he likes tug ropes those are easy to stick in a pocket for outings, and less likely to get lost than a tennis ball) may help. He's still young, so he's a work in progress! (Which you can tell anyone who stares ..)
    I've Been Frosted

What Sowa suggested is a great way to start. Get his to focus attention on you by a command such as "look" or his name, and treat. I wouldn't start out at an adoption event. Group classes are great for this situation. If you can't afford that, just start out with walks in the neighborhood, that way its dealing with one dog at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I have this problem with Zoee. Only she raises the hair on her back and that is NOT okay. Yet if she approaches the dog she is totally fine with them.

Clover does this too, it's not necessarily bad. Clover does it when she's excited to see a new dog. It might be the same with Zoee?

Thanks for all the tips everyone .

Lily and Brennan are going to the vet today to get their rabies shot, and I'm sure there's going to be other dogs there. So I think I'll take along some treats and see if I can get him to focus on me instead of another dog.

He's VERY food motivated so we'll see how he does. I'll update later when I get back!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    Clover does this too, it's not necessarily bad. Clover does it when she's excited to see a new dog. It might be the same with Zoee?
    Yup. And that is a universal sign for aggression. Other dogs and owners back away when they see this......as would I.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips everyone .

Lily and Brennan are going to the vet today to get their rabies shot, and I'm sure there's going to be other dogs there. So I think I'll take along some treats and see if I can get him to focus on me instead of another dog.

He's VERY food motivated so we'll see how he does. I'll update later when I get back!
    Good luck!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Yup. And that is a universal sign for aggression. Other dogs and owners back away when they see this......as would I.
    Yes, commonly raised hackles is from fear or aggression. But also from excitement. I just meant it's not always a bad thing. Like I said with Clover, she isn't being aggressive AT ALL when she does this. She is simply excited to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I suggest you take group obedience classes with Brennan. You can find a place near you using this:
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/ts/default.aspx

You want a place that teaches positive reinforcement training.
    I agree. It'd help with socialization and obedience. In addition to looking for a place that uses positive training, I'd look for a place that leash trains with a gentile leader, (way better than a prong collar, in my opinion).
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I would ditch the prong ASAP and switch to a front hook harness, preferably the Freedom harness. Since he is 'reactive' (not in a bad way, but is still reacting) to dogs, pulling on the leash, in turn adding pain to his neck, can eventually make negative associations with the dogs he's trying to get to and he may very well become dog reactive in a bad way. He doesn't necessarily get that the pain is from him pulling, he just knows that dog in view=pain.

The hackle raising is a sign of over stimulation, it doesn't have to mean aggression or fear. It's called pyloerection.

Sounds to me like you have a lot of work that needs to be done on impulse control. Teaching him to control himself around things that make him want to go crazy. If you find a good trainer in your area, they can definitely help you out. I always recommend positive reinforcement/negative punishment trainers. This may require finding his reactive point (where he can still work with you and not react to the dogs) and slowly building from there. (Know that this may be hundreds of feet in the beginning) No one said it would be easy.

I wish you luck!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I'm part of a Pit Bull forum and everyone there uses prong collars, so that's why I've been using one on Brennan. I've been told that harnesses aren't recommended because they make the dog pull more, and gentle leaders also aren't recommended because if the dog is a really bad puller (which Brennan is), then they can cause a lot of neck damage. That's the only reason I went with the prong.

I've been looking into obedience classes, but don't think we'll be able to do one right now. The one I wanted to join was scheduled during one of my evening classes, and as busy as I've been lately, I've just been trying to work with him myself.

Thank you everyone for the tips though, they're very much appreciated.

Brennan was okay at the vets, he didn't get as excited as usual and I was able to distract him with some food.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I am very good friends with a pit bull group from Cleveland Ohio. If you have facebook, you should join. It's called Pit Bull Zen. It's not just for Cleveland Ohio people. But they promote the breed in a very positive light. We do walks every week or so and mostly they are all pit bulls. They are walked on front hook harnesses. There is one who is currently being switched from a prong to a front hook. The last time we walked, he escalated because of the prong and the trainers who were there talked to her about it. (Dogs passing by). A harness is actually a better way to walk your dog (if not a front hook, then a regular) because anything around your dogs neck can cause back or neck problems when pulling. A harness isn't a sign for your dog to pull, you still have to teach them not to pull. They do get better leverage with a harness (not a front hook, as when they pull in one of these, their body is turned back towards you)

Here are some things to check out.

http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/n...ll-harness.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voW2Vkq0u6Q

http://www.pitbulls.org/blog/possibl...-prong-collars

And by the way, prongs are actually used on some working dogs to INCREASE drive. That's not what you want.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*