Thread: Medial Meniscus Tear

Medial Meniscus Tear

I've been having severe pain in my left knee. After getting fed up with my PCP just writing script after script for pain killers, I went to an orthopedic surgeon. I not only have Osteoarthritis in my left patella (knee), but after an MRI of my left knee, I also have a Medial Meniscus Tear. I have an appointment for February 3rd to see him and discuss my options.

I don't scare easily. But after googling it and finding out what Arthroscopic surgery is all about, the recovery time, etc., I'm scared. Depending on the severity of the tear, I could be on crutches for a while and have to go to physical therapy. I live on the THIRD floor, drive a STICK SHIFT and have A LOT of cats to worry about!!! What am I gonna do????

Has anyone here ever had knee surgery like this??? I'd like feedback on what to expect as well as their experiences.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My husband had surgery twice for a meniscus tear. No crutches for him. They wanted him to go to physical therapy but his Mom is a physical therapist. Needless to say he didn't do any therapy. My Mom also had the surgery and no crutches for her either or physical therapy. It's an outpatient procedure, at least it was for both of them.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I had tears in both knees, and surgery on both - 6 months apart. I was on crutches for a few days only and had no problems driving my stick shift car. As long as you give it as much rest as you can, especially for the first week, then you shouldn't have too much trouble. I had both done on a Friday, and was back to work the following Monday. Perhaps if you could stay with a friend for a few days so you don't have to deal with all those stairs, since that's the only drawback I can see. You could get someone to check on and feed the cats, right? I did the therapy route with one, but not the other. There are exercises you can do at home that are just as effective.

Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Gosh, this makes me wonder about my knee problems! I guess the surgical repairs work well? I know I need to do more walking.

Donna, I hope you get some answers on recovery time etc. I live up a flight of stairs so I totally understand.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Ellie,

That certainly does ease my mind a little. My friend Nancy told me that I shouldn't worry about something that is outta my control. SO true. I'll wait to see how bad of a tear it is and what is in store. Once I know WHAT to expect, I can plan accordingly.

This sucks.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Donna - you really should have it done if the doc says it needs to be done. Even if the tear isn't too bad, it can get worse, and you could end up in the ER with your knee locked. My knee locked on me with the first one, but luckily I was able to manipulate it and "unlock" it, but a lot of people aren't that lucky. Doc said he didn't know how I was even able to walk, since the cartilage had lodged under the kneecap. Surprisingly enough, it didn't even really hurt much. Go figure.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Of all the knee problems you could have, this one isn't too bad. I have had 5 or so repairs to my knee (all arthroscopically(sic)), and though all in my younger years...it was pretty much two or three days of taking it easy and move on with the life. I drove a stick...it isn't like you really bend your knee much shifting, do you? As a result of my knee issues, I do sit so far back from the steering wheel its kind of weird. (But safer).

As others have mentioned, it's usually not a real big deal. A boss of mine tore her meniscus once, and I know others who have as well. As long as you lay in provisions so you don't have to go out for a couple days after the surgery, I'm betting you'll be fine, and a couple weeks later, wondering why you waited!
    I've Been Frosted

Whatever my doctor advises, I'll definitely do. I don't mind being holed up in my tiny apt. with my fur crew for a few days. I've done it before. Who could ask for a better nursing staff???

It's funny, but ever since I got the call about my knee, I've noticed a LOT of Scooter Store, Hov-A-Round and Medic Alert bracelet commercials.

Got another call from his assistant. It seems that on top of Osteoarthritis and a horizontal medial meniscus tear, there are other major things going on (she wouldn't elaborate, saying the dr. would explain it all). NOW I'm nervous.

Oh, Donna! I'm sending you Pittsburgh and Concordia thoughts and prayers that your knee isn't any worse than it is and that you can cope with it. I will call you tonight.

Oh, Donna! Whatever the other stuff is, I hope it is easily FIXABLE! HUGS to you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I had major pain in both knees a few years back. By January 2007 I was using 2 canes to walk. This after spending the better part of 3 months mostly in bed.

Went to a surgeon and had the MRIs done. I do have tears like you. I also have almost no cartilage between the bones, hence all the pain. I have been on naproxen since. THe surgeon says I need 2 knee replacements; but he wants to wait because the replacements currently last about 15 years; and I would end up paying again! So he wants to wait until the 2d time around, I am on Medicare, as they will pay for the 2d set.

The naproxen works fine, no canes or anything; but boy do I know when it is time for another dose!