Thread: Anyone protesting the Internet bills that are to be voted on in in Congress?

Anyone protesting the Internet bills that are to be voted on in in Congress?

Protect IP/SOPA

http://vimeo.com/31100268

I'm in Canada so can't write congress...but it has sure been on the news here today.
    Last edited by Catty1; 01-17-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Your thread title is misleading. The bills are to be voted on, no one says whether they will pass or not. That's the point of a democracy.
    I've Been Frosted

There is a vocal minority in Congress pushing for these bills.

While the bills themselves are disturbing in scope, I doubt they come anywhere near seeing daylight. There are too many truly pressing issues for Congress to deal with, the leadership is most likely not going to take any action on yet another divisive issue when it's an election year and there is a lot of legislative work that they HAVE to take care of before they get to other issues.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Did you see where Wikipedia blacked their site out for 24 hours in protest?

And I agree with LH too. Far more pressing issues in an election year for Congress to waste time on a bill such as this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I do support these bills and very much hope they go through. It's about time something is done to bring this computer nonsense under some sort of control.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I doubt they come anywhere near seeing daylight. There are too many truly pressing issues for Congress to deal with, the leadership is most likely not going to take any action on yet another divisive issue when it's an election year and there is a lot of legislative work that they HAVE to take care of before they get to other issues.

The logical has never stopped Congress before, why start now.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    I do support these bills and very much hope they go through. It's about time something is done to bring this computer nonsense under some sort of control.
    But all these bills are purporting to do is give the US government the power to take down a website that has been accused of copyright infringement, which likely has nothing to do with the"computer nonsense" you are referring to. And as the Internet is a global entity, if anything, it will create more issues in courts over boundary issues, or make large companies move their websites overseas ...

What did you think these bills would control?
    I've Been Frosted

The bills will most likely fail.

They give federal entities the power to shut down sites first, ask questions later. You think Karen and Paul had issues with the server last week? This legislation would make situations like that a nightmare. It would add a whole new dimension to the hacking games as well. The RIAA and other entities backing this legislative nightmare are jst loking to get the federal government to spend billions to save their private millions. They could have adapted to new tech and taken advantage of it, they didn't, and they're feeling the pinch.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

The Internet blackout yesterday wasn't just Wikipedia - it was a giant protest that many major sites took part in. I took part in it myself - all the websites I administered were a part of that blackout yesterday. It had great effect - support for the bills in Congress dropped off a cliff.

SOPA & PIPA are horrendous threats to the freedom and liberty of the Internet for the second-largest Internet-using nation in the world. It would be worse than the censorship in China (the Great Firewall of China, as it's called), because of the fact that so many huge websites and web corporations are based in the US. The government could say that a site is illegal and have it shut down, and no one could do much of anything about it. If they moved overseas, then the government could enforce a censor on that site so no one in the US could view it.

These bills do *nothing* to correct problems that exist on the Internet. And, in my honest opinion, the government should just stop trying. You can't control something that knows no geographical or political boundaries unless you can get every government in the world in on a movement, and that's something that has never happened in the history of humanity.

Speaking from the perspective of a computer network engineer, the limit of control that any entity has, stops at the routers that you directly control. Beyond that, it's a wild world. And unless we want to become something similar to a dictatorship, the government can't directly control every.. I can't remember, some number in the thousands of submarine cable landings in the US. Mostly because they're all owned by independent ISPs - some of which are international - and there would be fire and brimstone if the government tried to enforce control over them.

I'm not saying that the government shouldn't persecute computer systems crackers or child predators (something that has been hugely over-dramatized by the media), I fully support the government doing that, but SOPA & PIPA were going way too far with the notion that a controlled Internet is a safe Internet.

EDIT: Here's some links for you guys.
    A technical overview of SOPA & PIPA: http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/techn...-sopa-and.html
    Help the Electronic Frontier Foundation (great guys over there) stop SOPA & PIPA: http://blacklist.eff.org/
    A one-page guide to SOPA & PIPA by the EFF (It's a PDF): https://www.eff.org/sites/default/fi...age-SOPA_0.pdf

Many of the politicians are now realing they should back off of this bill, and are no longer supporting it.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/tech/s...tml?hpt=hp_bn3
    I've Been Frosted

Somewhat related...I know that people should pay to acquire media. But the way I understand fair use from a layperson's perspective, once you own the media in question, you can convert it to any other medium. One example is a CD to an .mp3 to load on your .mp3 player. However, I know a person who bought a Blu-Ray (TM) and tried to rip a copy to play on his computer but a code blocked it. Does this violate fair-use?

I like how many movie suppliers are now providing a digital copy of movies in the Blu-Ray (TM) sets.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Just FYI, SOPA and PIPA have been shelved.