Thread: Hot Spots

Hot Spots

Maggy has been suffering with a NASTY Hot Spot..Took her to the vet they gave me an anti fugal cream,It has not worked,Took her back they gave me Climax(Antibiotic)Its not working.If i had a camera i would take a picture so you could see the extent of her wound.Its on her left back leg,It smelled terrible a few days ago,I have been putting her in the bathtub the warm water seems to sooth her,Maggy is not the easiest dog to to do anything to.So with her not fighting this it must make her feel better.I trimmed the hair around this spot,There was still little hairs so i went to shave her,I shaved a little bit and dead skin came off...So i did not continue.She has not really been bleeding,Its more puss filled/looking than anything.She has not lost appetite or anything,Id love some imput if someone has dealt with this.And suggestions would be grateful.

I'm at my wits end,I don't know what else to do.I put polysporin cream,Then read not to use cream the area needs to dry up.Im a paranoid mom.It looks terrible..Size wise its about the size of a baseball,Its not a little spot like most dogs get.Now with Maggy she always been a picker and has tore herself appart more than once,The last few years we have kept her on Allergy medicine and has seemed to work.It's not flees or anything like that they get treatments every month.I'm frustrated and hate seeing her in any pain or discomfort.

Any ideas,Home Remedies,or Peace of mind is much appreciated!

Gold Bond Powder. The one in the gold bottle, not the foot powder of the other one, they are blue and green bottles.

Bichons are prone to hot spots. If it is wet, put the Gold Bond powder. If it is dry and scabbed over, put vaseline.

You can apply the powder up to 3 times per day. Keep up the antibiotic pills; these darn hot spots get infected quite easily.

THANK YOU!! Now let me ask you..Her skin looks "Yellow" Is this normal?Im thinking its just the skin,Its peeling?I will give her the Antibiotics until there finished.
    This started out as a little spot,It has rapidly grown in the last few days.

I did use Peroxide diluted until it stopped foaming,I put her in the bath everyday,but maybe that's not working?This has been going on for about a week.I first noticed a little spot,I cleaned it up,but when it started to smell I took her to the vet.It don't have an odour now,It's more the look of it that's bothering me.In all the years I have owned dogs,Never have I dealt with "Hot Spots"

I have never used Peroxide, so I can't comment on what that may do.

Hot spots take on a life of their own very rapidly. With bichons, we are constantly on the lookout and apply the Gold Bond the instant we see one start up. If you can catch it in the first few hours, you can stop it. Otherwise, it will run full course, but using the powder and then later in the process switching to the vaseline will contain it. Once they get infected, a vet visit is mandatory.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I have never used Peroxide, so I can't comment on what that may do.

Hot spots take on a life of their own very rapidly. With bichons, we are constantly on the lookout and apply the Gold Bond the instant we see one start up. If you can catch it in the first few hours, you can stop it. Otherwise, it will run full course, but using the powder and then later in the process switching to the vaseline will contain it. Once they get infected, a vet visit is mandatory.

Good luck!
    I took her to my parents farm today,There vet was there to check on the cattle,He thinks its more of a Allergy than a hotspot,He gave me the proper antibiotic,for "Bacteria" Told me to follow through till it is done,then get her on Allergy medication..So here is hoping this plan off attack works!

Thank you for your Advice.

Maggy has done this to herself before,not to this extent,When I seen the result of her skin I never thought"A Allergy" would make her rip herself appart the way she did.

Are you feeding a grainy food? Sometimes the yeast from food can cause these. Maggy may do better on a grain free. Doesn't give the bacteria yeast and sugar to feed off of.

I believe I have heard of chamomile tea being used for this also.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Ask your vet if they carry NeoPredef powder. It's what we use here at the clinic I work at and I've never seen it not work. You'll want to shave the area completely. I would bathe her in a soothing shampoo and let her soak in it for about 20 minutes. If there's any scabbing, gently clean it off, after soaking. After she is completely dry, apply the powder. We usually have them apply it twice a day. Also, you may want to keep an e-collar on her so that she cant get to it and irritate it more. The key is to keep it dry!

Edit:
    If your vet doesn't carry it, you can get it from Dr. Fosters:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...LAID=552563573

Don't feel bad about it - hot spots are very common and can get out of hand before you know about it!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Thank You for that Tip ill call in tomorrow and see what they can do.
    I have actually just put her in the tub and rinsed her with warm water,That seemed to sooth her.(Is there any home remedies,or Shampoo) That is meant for hot spots,or allergies?

I have Buzzed that hair around the spot,today i noticed another spot starting,So i will be going to pick up a cone tomorrow.

Her wounds are dry,Terrible looking but Dry.I think the dead skin is making it look worse than what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    Are you feeding a grainy food? Sometimes the yeast from food can cause these. Maggy may do better on a grain free. Doesn't give the bacteria yeast and sugar to feed off of.

I believe I have heard of chamomile tea being used for this also.

I am actually doing research on the Grain Free Food,She is on Kirkland Senior right now,Kirkland also makes a grain free dog food that is apparently for all ages.
    Maggy will be 9 in May,and has a bit of a weight issue.She has done real well on The senior Kirkland Brand.
    I'll check more into the Grain Free Brand they carry and see what the reviews are.