Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscar - tummy problem

Oscar - tummy problem

It's very unusual to see Oscar in pain - especially to see him hunch and growl and hiss.

Late yesterday or this morning, I noticed he would clean his hind end whenever he came out of the litterbox. This morning, he was in and out several times, and seemed to be having difficulty passing stool, though he did pass a fairly normal amount.

I came home later than usual today, and both Cole and Zoe were more than ready to eat. I had planned on putting a little extra omega oil on Oscar's food.

Oscar was curled on the couch, not moving - and he is always the first one to ask for food. His nose was cold and wet...and I gently picked him up and he started making a very unhappy sound which turned to growling then hissing at Zoe. He was just plain miserable.

I called my vet - and the two emergency clinics are way downtown in Calgary.

He just passed a bit more stool, and went to the front hall to clean his behind again. So I have decided to take him to the local vet first thing in the morning!

I did switch to a new food last night. All three ate it with gusto.

I am worried about my baby boy...good thoughts, please.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hopefully he feels better, and it's nothing major!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks. I worry just seeing him so uncomfy. He was fine at 12:30 when I left for a computer job.

I have given him two small helpings of Whiskas cat milk mixed with very warm water. The second dose I put a bit of Omega oil in. He inhaled both bowls. I gave them about 1/2 hr apart, about 1/4 c each serving.

I just hope he's ok for the night.

Will update tomorrow.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear this. He may be constipated. Hopefully he won't need a kitty enema. Do you have any canned pumpkin? If so I'd try to give him some if he'll eat it willingly. My RB Pepper had problems like this and he had to be on lactulose every day which did the trick but he hated the taste of it. I know that older cats need more fiber in their diets. Storm once had this problem but now that he's eating plenty of canned wellness every day he's been fine. I hope that everything will go well at the vets tomorrow. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Prayers and love are being sent for Oscar and you, Candace. Let's hope this ailment can be easily fixed up.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oscar is more himself this morning and is not grunting as he walks...his walking is normal and I can pet him all the way down his spine. The tail end was uncomfy for him last night and he was walking kind of hunched.

Even though he came into the bathroom to get his morning pets and has some of his chirp and mutter sounds back, he is not interested in food and is lying in the front hall. Taking him in for a check.

I did cat milk and very warm water last night twice, second time with a bit of the vet's omega oil in it. He seems more comfy, but not 100%. Will take him in to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Update later.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Prayers and love are being sent for Oscar and you, Candace. Let's hope this ailment can be easily fixed up.

Pat and cats
    Agree agree agree! ,
    Cassie Cat and Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I hope it's something that can be easily treated. He must still be feeling uncomfortable. Poor boy. I remember that my RB Pepper also stopped eating because he was very constipated. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

I hope whatever is bothering Oscar goes away soon! Tummy problems are no fun!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Hoping the vet was able to make Oscar feel all better.

FYI - The South emergency clinic is 2 minutes from my Condo.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Sending healing prayers for Oscar.

Oscar was blocked - his bladder was huge, though Dr Kirsten says it was caught pretty early. He was catheterized, and to save me money, Oscar's surgical fluids will be "continued" throughout the night. My poor boy was full of crystals, and the urine pH was very high, so I guess it's back to the vet urinary tract food. I thought grain-free maintained the pH, but I guess Oscar was not so lucky.

The vet on duty tomorrow will call me. I hope I can bring Oscar home.

I need to look into a chip in page or something...this will be up to $1,000. Of course Oscar is worth every cent - but Mom will need to spend $800 on glasses this month, and she has helped me enough. I don't want to keep draining her.

Please continued good thoughts that Oscar will be well enough to come home tomorrow.

Thank you all for caring for my baby!

Oscar, we are so glad the vet found what was wrong and it is being taken care of.

Prayers that you will be coming back home tomorrow, sweet beloved boy!

Hugs to you, Candace.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Grain free helps, but it maY not be enough. Ming needs meds as well. He has been on amitriptyline for a little over 3 years without any more blockages. A new world record for him! I swear by the stuff. It's very inexpensive through PetMeds, about $14 for 100 pills.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

katladyd - the vet seems confident that the diet change will do the job. Of course, I will be keeping a close eye on my boy (and the other boy and girl!).

Oscar had a bout with idiopathic cystitis a year or two after I got him - about a year after Cole joined the household. The two of them got along well, but as the vet said, even good stress is stress. There were virtually no crystals at the time, but a fair bit of blood. The vet agreed to try Feliway instead of antidepressants, and it worked!

So it's been about 5 or 6 years since there was any trouble. I'll be more diligent from now on.

I'll update tomorrow when he (hopefully) gets home!

Gayle, any emergency clinic was not only too far but sadly extremely unaffordable for me. If Oscar had not relaxed more and seemed more comfy last night, I would have gone in.

Thanks, everyone.